Noticed my Mercury dimes yellowing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
retired22
Coining Around

Noticed my Mercury dimes yellowing

#1 Unread post by retired22 »

Thought I read where the coins could be reacting to the cardboard holder. I don't think it's natural toning. Do you think a mild cleaning could be done. I really don't like the spotting.
Attachments
79786F52-72E2-4EB7-8E37-1A2FF5E3B9CE.jpeg
359ED3C3-1737-446A-8AE1-1EDE0C2C1612.jpeg
8A8567BD-517F-4B25-91AE-DDE422AFEDE0.jpeg

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

Re: Noticed my Mercury dimes yellowing

#2 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Acetone might do the trick?
You are never too old to learn something new

JTCC
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

A dip in 100% pure acetone may work.
U.S. cent lover!

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

In the future, please keep in mind that the rule for posting coins on the Board is one coin per topic.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Personally I would try the acetone - and as has been said - make sure the bottle says 100% pure. Acetone cannot chemically interact with the metal and so is not considered "cleaning". Acetone is like rinsing a coin off with water when you spill Pepsi on it, but acetone can remove more than water can.

And...if they were mine I would ditch the blue album.

I do not know what is causing the yellow spots exactly, but to me it would not be worth it to have it happen again. I have seen theorized it was the glue used to hold the album cover to the back of the cardboard that toned coins.

I also would suggest you store them in a non-humid environment (use silica gel packs as well).

And no matter what (learned my lesson the hard way) I will not put lustrous coins into any container having cardboard touching them (like these folders and even Dansco albums). Cardboard absorbs humidity and tarnishes the coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

retired22
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by retired22 »

Thank you all for replying. Do you think nail polish remover would be alright? My coin holders have been kept in a steel lock box for years. I should at least add a silica gel pack to the mix and see what happens. Would hate to lose all luster to my coins. And certainly don't want to have to go through this again

retired22
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by retired22 »

DSCoins wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:22 pm In the future, please keep in mind that the rule for posting coins on the Board is one coin per topic.
I did not think the rule applied under the general coin question format. And just thought the visual would give an overall view of the problem. I was not asking you to look for anything else.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#8 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Please don't use Nail Polish remover.
The main ingredient in many nail polish removers continues to be acetone, which is that pungently scented but effective ingredient. If you have stubborn polish to remove, you can find removers that are up to 100% acetone, although 98% is more common. The average drugstore remover is 30%-60% acetone unless you opt for an acetone-free remover.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry late getting back with this - been out of town!

Fingernail polish remover can have fragrances and colorants added and therefore may actually interact with the metal of the dime depending on what they use.

Pure acetone is sold in the same department as fingernail polish remover though. In fact you can pure acetone for 1.00 (well, 1.25 b/c of brandon-economics) at the dollar (twenty-five) store.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Peggysis
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by Peggysis »

Looks like humidity damage. Seen the same thing with Canadian Mint set from 1967.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks like it was taped at one time and it's toning from the residue. Acetone would fix this.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#12 Unread post by Paul »

Peggysis wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:15 am Looks like humidity damage. Seen the same thing with Canadian Mint set from 1967.
HUH?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Peggysis
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Peggysis »

I have a Mint set from 1967 and it's got pretty cheap cardboard and that phony felt stuff. After a few years in the boxes I store in, they got a little yellow too. Acetone works good on stuff like this.

retired22
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by retired22 »

I finally got around to using 100% acetone on my dimes and it took hardly any effort to remove the yellowing. So I don't know if it was humidity or the coin book or a combination but I also remedied both

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

:thumbsup: