new VIDEO grading company

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

new VIDEO grading company

#1 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

I am not a fan of slabbed coins. Show me the coin, not some little sticker inside a plastic case.

Here is a site I just found that is much more to my liking:

VIDEO grading

After reviewing some of the videos, and comparing them to what the slab says, I hope more folks start using this video service.

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

Re: new VIDEO grading company

#2 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

The 6 cent piece is really cool! And click the expansion tab to fill your screen.

cool 6 cent coin

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Great find 'n post Cap'n. I am hopin' we be finally movin' into an era where piece o' eight gradin' will become legitimately verifiable. This seems a start in that direction. I like thar motto o' "Buy the steak, Not the sizzle!"

I see the biggest problem t' overcome fer companies wantin' legitimate 'n verifiable gradin' will be the masses o' scallywags who 'ave spent many hundreds o' thousands on the non-verifiable slabs that 'ave been takin' advantage o' the hobby fer years. Those scallywags will fight tooth 'n nail nah wantin' t' be confronted wit' thar slabs+shillin'+labels nah bein' wha' they thought they paid fer!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not digging this video aspect they're doing here. It's hype to me. My images on my website can be expanded to see even more detail and what my title and description states is what the coin is.

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

Things you cannot always see in a flat pictures, show up when the light is rotated. And I get a much better idea of how the toning looks. There are several "certified" coins graded MS-xx in their samples that I would never pay MS-xx prices for after viewing the SCOTT video. I think videos will help sellers of correctly graded coins - slabbed or raw.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I think the coins look cartoony in these video, so I am not sure if you're really seeing all that the coin has to offer in this tilting images.
Here's an example of what we do https://portsmouthcoinshop.com/product/ ... 5-fh-pcgs/

I don't see how this isn't better and what one could possibly be missing by magnifying our images.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

PCGS and NGC have both passed on computer grading at this time stateing that a coin can not be properly graded by pictures/digitaly due to flaws and other issues that may only be seen by tilting/moving the coin.
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Mrweaseluv wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 am PCGS and NGC have both passed on computer grading at this time stateing that a coin can not be properly graded by pictures/digitaly due to flaws and other issues that may only be seen by tilting/moving the coin.
This is not correct information. I know insiders who was part of the game, and they were other reasons and they were business reason, that they didn't move forward with computer grading.

AI grading can be accomplished, but it would hurt the industry that PCGS and NGC created for themselves because it would take out most of the "mistakes' they make grading.

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by mikev50 »

interesting website but they can do without the music----

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

PCGS and NGC have both passed on computer grading at this time stating that a coin can not be properly graded by pictures/digitally due to flaws and other issues that may only be seen by tilting/moving the coin.
Typical doublespeak from the grading companies IMO. Why? Here is an excerpt from my PDF concerning the (profitable for them) No FG variety mess the companies have created for Kennedy Halves:
On May 16,1990 PCGS announced a major breakthrough in a computerized system that grades coins. The system, PCGS Expert, utilizes robotics, image enhancement, image processing and an online image database for its integrated computer system. The system will perform four primary functions:
1. automated computer grading of coins
2. computer aided grading
3. image archiving
4. digital fingerprinting

The PDF then goes on to list the 9 steps they took to inspect the coins. One of the steps included digital imaging from different angles to make sure the problem mentioned above in the modern quote was taken care of!

So in the early 90s, with vasty inferior computers and digital imaging than today, PCGS was claiming no problems in accurate imaging, yet with modern equipment they are incapable of getting an accurate image?😲👎🏻

I heard:
1. there is a bridge for sale (cheap!) in Brooklyn,
2. the machines were accurate in tallying the votes.

BTW -
PCGS said they abandoned the 90s computer grading system b/c people did not trust computers (and back then computers were not trusted by the masses). Although this made the grading companies one of the few businesses swimming against the current as all other businesses were getting computerized! Hmmmm.

I suspected after studying about the original computer grading systems that PCGS etc. decided to dump the more accurate (their words) system b/c the better system really hindered the crack out and re-slab game that brings the companies so much profit.

So if what Mr. Weasel says about PCGS is a recent statement, then the circumstances bolster my initial OPINION. For profit, PCGS was trying to pull the wool over the public's eyes in the 90s, and PCGS is doing the same once more...in the name of profits.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

I know what I know is fact and what Earle said here is fact as well. I know we're steering off topic but AI grading more consistent than human graders and once a coin is mapped and graded it will never get another grade on resubmission. I've worked with the software firsthand and I know better. I just don't have the funds to get it out there and finished.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#12 Unread post by Paul »

D, were you setting this up only for silver dollars?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Morgan Dollars first, but will be all coin series.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

I think you hit the nail on the head there Earle42.. In the end it's all about the "profits" :D
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

I have no problem with AI grading (if it is ever perfected). But to have it available for any coin will be a monumental task. And it will never be better than being able to inspect the coin in person. I really like the dynamic videos from Scott. I feel comfortable making offers or paying full price for what I see in those videos. I don't care what the sticker says on the slab - I can decide what to pay (and how I grade it) based on what I see.

Scott recently sent me an email with some very interesting points. Here is one I strongly agree with:

"In the electronic marketplace collectors are given no more than (often poor or intentionally “juiced up”) static images to make a decision from. (Note: The laws of physics render it absolutely impossible for even the finest static image to accurately represent any dynamic entity, period! A static image is only one light angle.) Have you noticed that often images of the same coin in the same ad will look completely different? The collector is left to “guess” what the coin actually looks like. Then the collector has to pay for the coin in advance, often pay a “buyer’s premium”, wait for days to obtain the coin to see the true color and luster and to put the coin under a loupe for final inspection. If unsatisfied with the coin often the collector has to incur cost and always has to invest time to return the coin and then wait for a refund. In many instances the collector is stuck with the coin."

EScottCoins
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by EScottCoins »

Daniel (and others that may care):

This is E.J. from EScottCoins.com and Accurate View Video™. I'm a big fan of everyone having and voicing their own opinion and I respect and support any passion and/or education based opinion anyone has. However there are some points of fact here that are simply wrong. Hopefully I'll be allowed to voice my opinion, correct some incorrect statements and point out some unarguable tangible facts.

First and fundamental is we're not and nor are we trying to be a video grading company. Our Accurate View Video™ has absolutely nothing to do with or intent to be for technical grading. Nowhere on planet earth will you find us even hinting at any such intent or claim. It was invented, developed, perfected and manufactured for one reason and one reason alone: To bring GUARANTEED accurate electronic representation of numismatics (and endless other tangibilities) to the electronic marketplace. Collectors and consumers deserve this information.

Second, I'd like to comment that your static imagery is very nice. You do a great job! I take nothing from what you produce. Respect to you for the quality of your imagery. This is, of course, assuming the images are true to the look of the coins...which, of course, nobody can know until they have the coin in their hand to compare to the image. Simple fact.

Also, it appears that this site may be yours. If so, great job. I know how much work such a project can be. Again, respect for your accomplishment.

That said, the laws of physics render it absolutely impossible for any static image to accurately represent any dynamic entity, period. "If" collectors acquired a coin, sat it on a table and stared at it then static imagery would be accurate. But they don't. The very first thing any collector does with a coin is roll it around in the light. Any static image shows any entity in one single refraction angle of light. 100% of all coins imaged via static imagery, regardless of resolution, have hidden details. It's physics and no matter how much anyone wants to they can't change that. They can be in denial, but they can't change it. I too can easily generate 200X magnified macro images at 40MP and edit the crap out of them, as can anyone with $1K to spend and two hours to educate themselves....it's still only at one refraction angle. It doesn't change, in the least bit, what's hidden in the infinite amount of other available light angles.

Our standard Accurate View Video™ is shot at around 500 frames per second. This means a 7 second video of the coin is equal to 3500 different static images with 3500 different light refraction angles. Watch any Accurate View Video™. Start and stop the video (every time you stop the video what you see is a static image) and watch how much detail on the coin appears, disappears, gets bold, gets opaque, gets colorful, gets dull, etc. Static imagery can be any one of those 3500 images....but only one. Plain hard fact. Dynamic imagery will obsolete static imagery in the electronic marketplace. It's not if, it's just when. And "when" is when collectors start demanding fully disclosing accurate electronic representation of the merchandise they're paying (in advance) for.

Our Accurate View Video™ is dead accurate on 100% of all coins 100% of the time. We don't expect anyone to just take our word for it. That's why we put our money where our mouth is. We offer all our members a free in hand demonstration. We create an Accurate View Video™ of a coin and send that member the coin and Accurate View Video™ free of charge. This way they can hold the coin, view the Accurate View Video™ and see first hand that the Accurate View Video™ is an exact and fully revealing representation of the coin.

Lastly, as far as it being "all about profit" that's simply untrue. There are still a few in this world driven by passion. We developed and invested all we have in this because it's good for the most important facet of the numismatic hobby and business, the collectors! That said, there's nothing wrong with profit when it's fair and earned and everyone wins!

Respectfully,

E. J. Scott

Paul

#17 Unread post by Paul »

SEE
Attachments
GOLDEN THUMB 600.png
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

I am glad you came here to clarify a little. I think it got confused when it was labeled "grading video". I think it's a great idea just to display coins for accuracy. I like the video idea, I use it as well, just not on my website yet.
However, I should not speak since I would rather look at a huge hi-res image and scroll around it like I can on google earth. This titling of the coin would be something I would need to get use to. I handle coins all the time, but it looks different to me. I really can't explain it. I think it would need to be improved to come close to having the coin in hand.
However, I admire any attempt at honesty and I digress a bit on my previous stance on this. I am also not against making money in this business, it's how I make a living, but that just can't be all it's about. I think that is what Earle was eluding to.
No one here is accusing you of that, the grading companies got dragged in and all of it became muddled.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

@Escottcoins:
First - thanks for the clarification and from the start I liked what I saw.

However: 2nd
Lastly, as far as it being "all about profit" that's simply untrue.
I made that statement in the context of PCGS, I am now wishing I was more specific and put a note it was not aimed at you.

When re-entering the hobby seriously in 2011, I started researching PCGS and extant (legit) grading companies to find where they had evolved to since their inception (which I remember). The more I read of their own information, the more unsettled I have become. As a response I studied and compiled the essay in my signature. If you have time to look it over, you will see (and this is only one area I have written up) why my statement about them was its all about the money. There is proof from their own data/pics from their website of terrible inconsistencies on a rookie level of numismatics that have cost unsuspecting (read put blind faith in the company's claimed level of expertise) and loyal followers of their literally thousand of dollars.

This ongoing research has also led me to appreciate things like Daniels AI system and also your website and info there. You ARE putting your money where your mouth is.👍

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#20 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I was posting a coin tonight on eBay and I got the following box that popped up on the listing page

I didn't have any videos available to try tonight - but I'll try tomorrow and let you know how it went - or if it's any good

If the posting option is available - having a nice video made of a coin could really help it sell!

Michael - The Funkmeister
Attachments
01.jpg