1868? Shield Nickel - The Game is on!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

1868? Shield Nickel - The Game is on!

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

So, I went to the Greenhills Coin Show yesterday, up near the northernmost part of the loop around Cincinnati. Did fairly well peddling 4 of the 40 coins I brought to a wholesale show for an 11.3% profit! ($265/$238). NOT an easy pull at all, although everyone was extremely polite and professional! (We ALL know the other type!) Still, SHARKS! Nice ones, but CUT THROAT! Not for the faint of heart!

And I almost made it out the door without doing something stupid. Almost!

While waiting for one especially pleasant gentleman to carefully peruse my wares, I busied myself with his old miniature treasure chest. All coins one dollar. Lo! There among the Portuguese patacas, Malaysian ringgit, and Zambian kwacha coins - a shield nickel! Well, come on, now! Of course I had to have it! For a dollar? Everybody appreciates it when someone lightens their junk box by a coin or two! Just payin' it forward!

26 SEP 21 $1-.JPG
S2080023.JPG
S2080040.JPG
S2080046.JPG
S2080061.JPG
Held just at the correct angle, under the most unforgiving fluorescent kitchen light, my verdict is in: "1868".

It's in the eBay gods' hands now, but I'm gonna see how high I can parlay this one-dollar cull. I'm askin' for $7.00* as an opening bid. The caper is planned! But, not really, because an AG coin lists starting at $17.00, and this might actually live as a filler in someone's type set for a spell. It really is much better in person!

edit: Came to my senses and dropped it to $5.00 - I'm not a monster!

I'll update this post with a report on the next coin I buy with the proceeds from the sale of this one. I'll call it "My One-Dollar Challenge". Anyone else wanna join in the fun?

And no, Earle42, you already get all of your coins for free, apparently! ;) That ain't the rules here!
Last edited by Matthudson on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1868? Shield Nickel - The Game is on!

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I would of asked to pay 50 Cents and turned around and sold it for $10 . ; )
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Matthudson »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:12 am I would of asked to pay 50 Cents and turned around and sold it for $10 . ; )
I bow down before thee, O, King of the Shrewds! So. Much. To. Learn. Still!

Curiously, this is one type you rarely find for cheap-cheap any more. They've gone up! And I am just not a nickel guy, anyway. Liberty? Stunning classic Charles Barber. (I don't know why the term "V-Nickel" rubs me the wrong way. It just does.) Buffalo? Imaginative. Jefferson? Not even a real coin.

One of each is quite enough for me. Don't need to put together a whole set.
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Matthudson »

... and what IS that black oobleck that is absolutely immune to every non-radio-active substance known to mankind? Acetone? It smirked. Xylene? It laughed.

Like a thick jet-black lacquer. I've seen it on a couple of coins now.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Although usually found on copper coins, carbon spots can be seen on other coins as well.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Matthudson »

Yeah, well, it's totally ruining my prize cull!

Wonder if I can label it "Rare Carbonated Error Variety"...
Last edited by Matthudson on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

At least Jack came back home with magic beans!

(actual past eBay auction)

Nickel.JPG

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Y'know, every day I get online, hit "unread posts" and go through them one at a time.

Have you got some sort of filter I am unaware of so I don't see your posts Mr. eBay Hornet?

I have no idea how I missed this one before?!

Anywhoo...it reminds me of my first shield nickel as well. And I got it from a (back then) 10¢ junk box or foreign as well.

I still have it somewhere. Wow...9.99?! According to an inflation calculator online I paid 45¢ in 2021 value back then.

Missed the investment opportunity of a lifetime I guess.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Matthudson »

Which is why I'm getting a Hornet sooner than you! LOL!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Well...seriously....I love the Hudson Hornet. But my car of choice would be the '58 Buick special. More chrome than the incredible 57 Bel Air and...my Dad had his old (non-running) one in the back yard when I was a wee ankle biter. I loved the look of that piece of art/machinery and would love to have one. But alas, I likely could not take proper care of it anymore.

Its like our modern coins vs. the classics. No imagination in the design. Functional AND incredibly beautiful (Oh those Walking Halves!) WAS the way to go.
And we call what we use nowadays cars?!?
And we call what we use nowadays cars?!?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Matthudson »

]Absolutely. I'm more of a '49 Packard coupe convertable kind of guy. The Hornet is actually quite ugly!

[attachment=0]Packard_Convertible_Coupe_1949.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
Packard_Convertible_Coupe_1949.jpg

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by Triple C »

I am just going to jump right into your conversation, because my other "C" passion is cars.
All cars mentioned are beautifully designed, including the hornet (IMO). But sporty is my preference, so besides classic american muscle (My#1), I love the 1956-57 Chevy Corvette, just look at the beauty!!!!
Screenshot_20210929-212106_Chrome.jpg
My apologies guys, couldn't resist.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by Matthudson »

SOLD today for $5.00! So that means I now have $5 to parlay toward my goal of obtaining a 1917 St. Gaudens Double Eagle for a dollar! Can't wait to see what's next!

silverbul

#14 Unread post by silverbul »

first car when i was 16, worked at taco bell, bought this from my brother for 450 dollars, MONSTER. wasn't quite in this condition, but close. this was 1976.
Attachments
001-bower-1967-chevrolet-chevelle-front-three-quarter.jpg

CoinDak
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by CoinDak »

Hello all,

Precious find. I would have gladly offered you $7 for that V Nickel. Sold now oh well. Hope that doesn’t violate any rules?

BTW
I’ve viewed all of the info on how to post, can you kindly unlock my account? Much appreciated

silverbul

#16 Unread post by silverbul »

yes, unlock his acct, what is this, twitter?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

silverbul wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:42 pm yes, unlock his acct, what is this, twitter?

Having a bad day? I hope not. COinDak never could never have posted what you replied to if his ACCOUNT was locked. Please don't jump to conclusions and stir the pot without checking an issue. 😊
CoinDak wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:26 pm Hello all,

Precious find. I would have gladly offered you $7 for that V Nickel. Sold now oh well. Hope that doesn’t violate any rules?

BTW
I’ve viewed all of the info on how to post, can you kindly unlock my account? Much appreciated
From the other posts, I believe you are a bit new to using forums? Or maybe just this one?

Having an "account locked" means you will not be able to post anything anywhere on the forum...but you obviously posted this, so you account is not locked.

And...I went though the forum with your level of permissions using your account and had no problems.

So I am guessing you are referring to a thread of yours that was locked?

If a member has a thread locked - this means only THAT THREAD was locked so nothing more can be added to THAT THREAD only.

Threads that were locked from someone not knowing or following the rules are never unlocked. Instead the member simply makes a new thread of the same subject following forum guidelines on how to make a proper post.😊

CoinDak
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by CoinDak »

Thank you again Earle42! I’m completely new to forums, this is my first.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

No problem at all. We all have trouble figuring out forums at first. Each one has its own way of working but the basic rules and lingo seems universal.

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#20 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

this reminds me of how I got my first Draped Bust Cent- 20c in a foreign bin
its a cull that is either dateless or so close to being dateless that it is effectively dateless, but it is still something I am glad to have found

silverbul

#21 Unread post by silverbul »

Having an "account locked" means you will not be able to post anything anywhere on the forum...but you obviously posted this, so you account is not locked.
well, there it is.