BIG thanks to Daniel

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

BIG thanks to Daniel

#1 Unread post by Earle42 »

Warning: Daniel...don't read this, you will be tempted to need a larger hat size :))

I HAD to express my thanks to Daniel. Here is the recent gem I got from him:
1917-S_50¢_OBV
1917-S_50¢_OBV
1917-S_50¢_REV
1917-S_50¢_REV
But this is not all! Like the rest of you here, I was so impressed to find his channel awhile ago and to see someone HONEST and upfront in the coin hobby. I have know only a couple of dealers in my life that I would trust as I do Daniel. The impact Daniel's influence is making on this hobby for honesty and in the educational arena is peerless IMHO.

For years I had wanted to build a WLH collection. Thanks to him I have this beautiful 1917-S in what I consider to be amazing condition. He had it in a video not long ago. Its in an ANACS slab (but won't be for long) marked as "REV cleaned." BTW - scratches in the pic ARE on the slab.

I looked and finally saw an area near the rim where the silver behind "TES OF AM" has a slightly blue tone that reminds me of toning, but likely is where someone who knew what they were doing (looks professional to me) attempted to conserve the coin. In hand with sunlight, the area is very hard to see (although I see the camera exaggerates it in the pics above compared to in hand). The area is easier to see in artificial lighting at the right angle - which is how I found it.

If I have to look this hard to find an area where a coin has been cleaned, I certainly am not going to worry about it!

I know of other dealers I have met in the past that would likely have discarded the slab, priced this 1917-S gem at market value, and sold it that way without mentioning anything about the hard to see-have-to-know-its-there tinted area.

I know I speak for many here when I say how much we appreciate you Daniel. I still cannot get over how beautiful this gem is in hand!
Last edited by Earle42 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: BIG thanks to Daniel

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hey Lee , Nice write-up and Super Nice Coin !! I took the Liberty in editing your Photo to make it look more natural and pretty . LOL
Attachments
1917-S_50¢_OBV-horz.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Thank You Sal!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

RevlisAg
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by RevlisAg »

goes to show ...cleaned coins are beautiful no matter what people say

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sort of. This is original mint luster over the vast majority of both sides. So it does look beautiful as original. The cleaning was a small spot on the REV where you have to know what to look for to see it.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

No big head here, it's my pleasure!