Trying to Value an obscure variety

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Oijogja
Coining Around

Trying to Value an obscure variety

#1 Unread post by Oijogja »

Hey there, I am trying to figure out some way to put a value on a 2012-P Benjamin Harrison Dollar WDDO-001. I cannot find any listings for this coin, sold or otherwise, to reference, so I was wondering how one might put a value on it without making a total stab in the dark. Thanks, and I can post images if desired. Also, sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I'm new here.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Trying to Value an obscure variety

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

Images please ........ hugeeyes
whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Unless it is graded and certified as a doubled die then you're not going to get a value for the coin. Raw and common doubled dies on not very popular coins don't add much value.

Oijogja
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Oijogja »

Okay, well here are some images.
2012-P Benjamin Harrison Dollar WDDO-001 2nd Find Obverse-ccfopt.jpg
2012-P Benjamin Harrison Dollar WDDO-001 2nd Find Reverse-ccfopt.jpg
2012-P Benjamin Harrison Dollar WDDO-001 2nd Find Obverse Microscope Detail 1-ccfopt.jpg
2012-P Benjamin Harrison Dollar WDDO-001 2nd Find Obverse Microscope Detail 2-ccfopt.jpg
I have no idea how rare this is because I've yet to find any sales for it. It looks like it would be a hassle to get it attributed and graded by ANACS, though.

Thanks for the replies.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I do see some extra thickness of the devices but something like this needs sent to Paul or he can recommend who to send to at CONECA for attribution. It's the only way you're going to get much from the coin is if a "name" says it is a new doubled die variety.

Oijogja
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Oijogja »

Oh it's not a newly discovered variety. I just haven't been able to find any sales of this one to ballpark it.
Here's Wexler's listing: http://doubleddie.com/957699.html
And Wiles's: http://www.varietyvista.com/15%20Golden ... dollar.htm
Being that it's not a new variety, wouldn't attribution only be worthwhile if this were a true rarity needing third party verification/grading? Seems like it might be more costly to get it attributed and graded than it would add in value unless it were really worth a good bit.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Good job. I only look at coinfacts.com when looking for value price point because if it's not listed on PCGS site then no price point can't be determined. PCGS needs to update and add so when it is graded it has an estimated value. I don't see getting around submitting for grading, sine the grade determines the value as well.

Oijogja
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Oijogja »

Okay, thanks for the input. I know this is us going down the road of speculation, but if we were to get hypothetical and say PCGS were to add this variety to their listings, would it be a mistake to use their other variety listing as a *loose* value guide? They only have rim letting issues as varieties at the moment. Or is this just a fallacious way of looking at this because collector demand is really more what determines value?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Collector demand but if they estimated the value then it would be a good baseline for potential value. I guess my thinking is sending it to be graded then putting it up at greatcollections.com and let them bid it up. Although doesn't seem these would be that popular. Who knows? Might be a potential video topic.

Oijogja
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Oijogja »

Okay, thanks very much for the answers. I had someone inquire about a trade for one of these, so I was at a loss as to how to make it square.

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

:thumbsup: 1-O-VI
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep