Jarden Zinc Video on copper plating process. (Includes Burnishing for other Denoms)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Jarden Zinc Video on copper plating process. (Includes Burnishing for other Denoms)

#1 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Jarden Zinc Video on the copper plating process. (Includes the Burnishing process for other Denominations)
I like Lincoln's so I've been looking for something like this and found it on Jarden Zinc Facebook page of all places. Facebook is everywhere! hugeeyes
Lincoln cents planchets are produced for the mint from an outside source (Jarden Zinc) which also produced the old Ball mason jars.

Jarden Zinc Copper Plating process LINK .

(And there is a small section on the burnishing process for silver or clad.)

Hope you like.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jarden Zinc Video on copper plating process. (Includes Burnishing for other Denoms)

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Interesting! Thank you.

Does this makes errors prior to the mint a whole different category? For example: roller marks, missing clad, etc.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jarden Zinc Video on copper plating process. (Includes Burnishing for other Denoms)

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

In reality they're minting varieties and would still be mint errors since they failed to meet mint standards and tolerances and allowances and the mint didn't catch them before they ended up in collector's hands.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 pm In reality they're minting varieties and would still be mint errors since they failed to meet mint standards and tolerances and allowances and the mint didn't catch them before they ended up in collector's hands.
:agree:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Daniel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 pm In reality they're minting varieties and would still be mint errors since they failed to meet mint standards and tolerances and allowances and the mint didn't catch them before they ended up in collector's hands.
Minting varieties?
I always thought varieties were the result of "issues" with the dies (multiple coins that are the same) and errors the result of most everything else (no two exactly alike and not to be confused with PSD or MD)?

mhonzell wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am Interesting! Thank you.

Does this makes errors prior to the mint a whole different category? For example: roller marks, missing clad, etc.
Probably not a whole different category. But I could see "damaged before plating", or "struck through rolling bars" for an impression left on a planchet from rolling out the zinc into strips.

EDIT: I've been wondering how they managed to plate so many cents at once and keep them from sticking together.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

"Minting varieties" was coined by Alan Herbert who wrote "The Official Price Guide To Mint Errors". Technically all varieties are mint errors or mistakes as are striking and planchet errors, but seems he coined the phrase to cover them all under an "umbrella".

If you look at a coin as a canvas in an of itself then whatever happens to the coin, and it leaves the mint, then it is an error by the mint. So despite what caused the error if the canvas of the coin is not what the mint intended then they're all technically errors or minting varieties. With the striking and the planchet errors could be considered one of one and unique, but minting varieties nonetheless.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks Daniel.
I've seen multiple threads on different sites going back and forth about Variety vs. Error.
I'm following a lot of what you're saying but I must be missing something and forgive me if it seems like I'm nit picking. I'm trying to strengthen my understanding.

"....of the coin is not what the mint intended then they're all technically errors or minting varieties."
By this definition though MD would be "Minting varieties"? (Maybe it's just my perception of you paraphrasing Mr. Herbert.)

Right or wrong, maybe internally, I have categorized coins into three groups-
1)Regular Strikes (Business and Proof)

2)Varieties & Minting errors

3)MD or PSD (Even though MD is from the minting process)

Thanks again, Cliff

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Cliff, don't try to over think this, or make it TOO COMPLICATED,... Because it is very complicated already.

:eureka:
If I were to classify it, I would say that all would fall into just 2 categories:
"mint processing errors", and "die errors",...
... Where the 'Die Error', would be called the "Variety", and the 'Mint Processing Error', would be called a "Mint Error".

BUT THAT'S JUST ME :w
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Strike doubling or mechanical doubling is an error or minting variety and it is erroneous to call it machine damage since by that definition anything that goes wrong in the coining chamber would be damage.

Calling strike doubling damage was a weak attempt by certain experts to stop people from confusing them with doubled dies. Just a lazy method of down-playing the mechanical doubling. However mechanical doubling is just as much an error as a double strike, strike through or capped die among the others. It is just that it's hated more because of the confusion it causes and the more dramatic minting varieties are more desirable.

Like I said, the coin is THE canvas and anything that happens to a coin that shouldn't is a mint error or minting variety. We don't classify them as a variety when it happens during the planchet division or striking division, but all of it is something accidental to the coin.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by mhonzell »

Variety: reproducible by die strike.
Error: anything else that results in less than perfect coin leaving the mint

This doesn't mean that an error has any value.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#11 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

PALH1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 pm Cliff, don't try to over think this, or make it TOO COMPLICATED,... Because it is very complicated already.
:eureka:
If I were to classify it, I would say that all would fall into just 2 categories:
"mint processing errors", and "die errors",...
... Where the 'Die Error', would be called the "Variety", and the 'Mint Processing Error', would be called the "Variety", and the 'Mint Processing Error', would be called a "Mint Error".

BUT THAT'S JUST ME :w

Thanks Paul and I totally agree. I'm just trying to reconcile what I thought I remember lately with what is the accepted understanding.

Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm Strike doubling or mechanical doubling is an error or minting variety and it is erroneous to call it machine damage since by that definition anything that goes wrong in the coining chamber would be damage.

Calling strike doubling damage was a weak attempt by certain experts to stop people from confusing them with doubled dies. Just a lazy method of down-playing the mechanical doubling. However mechanical doubling is just as much an error as a double strike, strike through or capped die among the others. It is just that it's hated more because of the confusion it causes and the more dramatic minting varieties are more desirable.

Like I said, the coin is THE canvas and anything that happens to a coin that shouldn't is a mint error or minting variety. We don't classify them as a variety when it happens during the planchet division or striking division, but all of it is something accidental to the coin.

Thanks Daniel. That clarifies my understanding about mechanical doubling actually being an error, albeit non-valuable (and definitely hated). And I understand the need to separate it from doubled dies.

I truly appreciate you taking the time and energy to follow up with this reply. It helps me immensely.

mhonzell wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 pm Variety: reproducible by die strike.
Error: anything else that results in less than perfect coin leaving the mint

This doesn't mean that an error has any value.

Thanks Mark. Point well taken, especially added to all the above.
I lost site of the fact that not all errors are valuable.

Thanks guys because I am sure others with even less experience have probably had the same confusion and by asking and replying it has helped them as well. :yourock:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

In addition, all are mint errors but once multiple examples of the same are discovered then it can become a variety and the only way that can occur is if it is struck by a die with the that error.

However, when the mint purposely changes the design as in mint mark for 1979 or 1981 or added chain mail over the breast on a Standing Quarter that is a Type as in 1 or 2. It is not accidental and would not be a mistake.