Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Civil War Tokens

#41 Unread post by Paul »

m, nice toke, medal orientation strike?
possible 're-used' die here?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#42 Unread post by mhonzell »

No, it's coin orientation strike. 'Re-used', maybe... book says it was only used with the 355 and 360. Both are 'Not One Cent' dies. Guess I'll put it under the scope to see if it can be made out better. Maybe just planchet flaws looking like something exists. There are other die cracks evident, so could just be an illusion of a clash.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#43 Unread post by Paul »

m,
i've been working on the LC "re-used" die, as my most recent 'project'.
:eureka:
it was NOT UN-COMMON to "re-use" a die....either a mis-hubbed mistake (like a doubled die, caught before use), or a 'worn out' (working) die. the 'die face' was ground off, & re-hubbed with the 'new face/design'. often, under very high magnification, you can still make out remnants of the underlying original design....very faintly....at the right angle/lighting. one key here is the micro-fine polishing lines that remained on the 'old die-face', when they 'final-polished' the die just before the new design was pressed in, that show up on/in the higher points of the new devices.
'seeing' oddball shaped wiggly, squiggly, straight, close shaped doubled, pointed,....so on, "shapes" that appear as light figures in the 'fields & devices', might/usually do indicate this 're-used die'......but, it takes a scope like mine to see/differentiate these.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#44 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-169/213a

The sinker for this pair of dies is unknown. On all other dies bearing a full cannon, there is a small stack of cannon guts sitting just in front of the cannon, but not on this one. The cannon points somewhat downwards, towards the ground. On the reverse, we have the Union flag, this time with only 12 stars (all the others have 25), and the liberty staff (flag pole) is splitting the date. After 10 versions of the standard message, “The Flag of Our Union”, it has been changed to “Stand By The Flag” and the 13 stars of the original colonies surrounding the flag have been removed.

Someone seems to be less hopeful that the nation will be restored.

The cannon should be rotated to be a coin strike, but it is actually about 100 degrees rotated clockwise.
Attachments
F-169-213a-62BN (2).JPG
F-169-213a-62BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#45 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-254/255a (Money Makes The Mare Go - Go It Buttons / Knickerbocker Currency)

William H. Bridgens is the die sinker for this humorous token. Like most of these die sinkers, they lived in the Lower Manhattan area.

The first tokens were made in Cincinnatti in late 1862. New York followed this idea in 1863 and the tokens were known as Lindenmeuller Currency. These were attributed to Gustavas Lindenmeuller, a barkeep. He made about one million tokens of various designs. Bridgens’ designs followed Lindenmeuller and were known as Knickerbocker Currency.

The phrase “Money Makes The Mare Go” is very old. It is sourced to 1609 in a British Museum:
Wilt thou lend me thy mare to ride but a mile?
No, she's lame goinge over a stile.
But if thou wilt her to me spare,
Thou shalt have mony for thy mare.
Ho ho say you soe
Mony shall make my mare to goe.

So the phrase means that if you are prepared to pay enough, most people will be willing to do something that at first they said they wouldn't or couldn't do “Knickerbocker” was a phrase that identified the Manhattan aristocracy and was later used to describe anyone from Manhattan. The funny part is that Diedrich Knickerbocker was a fictitious name created by an author to promote the sale of his book. So, I don’t know if the name is being used to say the currency was made in Manhattan, or if it is being described as fictitious. Maybe both.
Attachments
F-254-255a-62BN (2).JPG
F-254-255a-62BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#46 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-110/442a (George Washington / New York (1 Star))

Glaubrecht’s Washington : Distinguished by having six stars to the left and right of Washington with the top right star being close to his hairline. The reverse is a simple tribute to George J. Glaubrecht’s home. He worked with Charles D. Horter, who made use of some of these Washington hubs.

Interestingly, Glaubrecht lived at 95 Fulton St., New York, which is right across the street from today’s American Numismatic Society.
Attachments
F-110-442a-64BN (2).JPG
F-110-442a-64BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#47 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-163/352a (Union / Union 61 76)

Scovill Manufacturing Company, which is still in business as a Fortune 500 company, outdid themselves on this design. I’d like to see this on a modern coin. Most of Scovill tokens have bold strikes. Unfortunately, ‘UNION’ comes across a little weak on most of these shields. On the back are the draped flags and crossed-cannons. Each cannon representing the Union as the winner of a war, 1776 (Revolution) and 1861 (even though the Civil War was still being fought.)

Miss Liberty’s cap flies high on the pole. In case you didn’t know, that cap comes from a much earlier time. It is the style of cap worn by freed slaves in the Greek Empire. In fact, it is not Miss Liberty. She wasn't invented until WWI. Until then it was Columbia (Roman goddess), hence the tie to the Liberty Cap. (The cap is most often assumed to be a Phrygian cap, but actually it comes from Greece as the pileus.) Columbia was a key figure in early America... District of Columbia, Columbia University and Columbia River. Even Jules Verne named his spaceship the Columbiad.
Attachments
F-163-352a-63BN (1).JPG
F-163-352a-63BN (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#48 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-48/299a

While similar to several of the earlier designs I posted, Columbia is facing right and the message is unique: "United We Stand, Divided We Fall". This is the only one of these tokens I have that shows bluish tones. And, while graded MS-63, the reverse is obviously weak. Notice the right strand of leaves... the deep "holes" where the leaves wrap around. And, on the obverse, the 'E' is 'WE' is a different size of letter.

So, I posted this token specifically because the '&' on the reverse was so blunted. Look at it closely, then look at the close-up of the F-196, between the date and the word "United". You can make out the blunted ampersand, in reverse. Can you make out the word to the right of it?

The ampersand, as well as a bunch of other items on the F-196, are incuse and reversed implying that a brockage occurred to this token, and then possibly the token was "re-used" to make the F-196. The bottom picture is my guess of outlines (yellow) and die cracks (red) found to the right of the ampersand. You can also make out that it continues under the '1' in the date. If you want to help with the rest of the coin, let me know.
Attachments
e.jpg
Brockage  (9).jpg
F-48-299a-63BN (2).JPG
F-48-299a-63BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#49 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-141/307a (George B. McClellan / Army & Navy)

I've tried very hard not to repeat a single die in all these posts, even though some look the same. For instance, in this case, I have another Army & Navy reverse. Only a tiny bit different, this design is distinguished by the location of the left sword handle being under the 'N'. Others are identified by whether there are denticles, ribbon tied or not, location of berries on the wreath, plants used in the wreath, etc.

On the obverse is a fine portrait of George B. McClellan, the Democratic candidate for president in 1864. Abraham Lincoln removed him from command after he failed to capture Richmond. He went on to serve as governor of New Jersey. That moves this token into a sub-class of tokens known as a political token. A kind of campaign token of which there are only a few.
Attachments
George McClellan.JPG
George McClellan.JPG (20.83 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
F-141-307a-62BN (2).JPG
F-141-307a-62BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#50 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-191/443a (Pro Bono Publico / New York)

Well, this is it... I have no more, at least for some time as this has been a collection of the "easy" ones to get. 44 different dies out of the 537, or so possible dies. All patriotic tokens. Any that follow are much more difficult, or costly. As the obverse on this token states, "Pro Bono Publico". I have presented this thread as a means for those searching for Civil War Tokens to find some examples and some information on them. Even Daniel's pages are a bit limited on the topic, so I hope this helps. (Thanks for your patience.) I have placed some questions within the thread that I also hope some will chase down.

Another Sigel design, on the obverse, you again see the use of the Union shield, which you also find on modern day cents. This time, with 13 stars. The large five point star is associated with freedom and the designation for statehood. On the reverse, the "New York" logo. This time in small letters, but again, a tribute to the location where most of these tokens were being generated.
Attachments
F-191-443a-63BN (2).JPG
F-191-443a-63BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#51 Unread post by Daniel »

I love them all, some I've had but not always the same die pair. Thanks for posting all these! :winnah:

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#52 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-239/421a (Our Little Monitor)

This Union ironclad depiction is awesome. Look closely at the front cannon and you can see the spray marks from the cannon being fired, the billowing cloud of smoke, the railing about the ship and the items on the ship's topside. You can just make out stripes in the flag and the skipjack flies sharply, as does the smoke trailing to the right, indicating the ship is at speed. Even the waves are unique compared to other water scenes on coins or tokens. (If you look back a ways in these posts, you'll find a picture of the crew sitting aboard the USS Monitor. The cannon dome is the same as depicted on the token.)

The token was designed by an unknown die sinker in the vicinity of the Waterbury Button Company. Most of the tokens designed by this sinker have a two-toned planchet where one side is brass-toned on one side and copper-toned on the other. (See prior example from same company.)

This token is also unique in how it presents the date. The reverse has both the Navy and Army insignia.
Attachments
F-239-421a-62RB (2).JPG
F-239-421a-62RB (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#53 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Mark, Very nice. Interesting to say the least. Lots of unique detail. Is this one of your own?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#54 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-97-389a

Here's a message from the Copperheads, the South sympathizers. Or, maybe just disgruntled by the high cost of war and wanting it to end for any reason. Designed by Emil Sigel, it carries finer details than most and survived really well.
Attachments
F-97-389a-64RB (2).JPG
F-97-389a-64RB (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#55 Unread post by Paul »

this one is my fav.....
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#56 Unread post by Daniel »

It's one of mine as well; the Civil War was a sad time in US History. Some people don't realize it was literally neighbor against neighbor and that your land could have been invaded anytime by the enemy, and your goods stolen, house took over or burned, wife and daughters raped and you might have lost your life in the process.

All that by fellow US Citizens. If you think the movie Purge was bad read the nitty-gritty on the Civil War.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#57 Unread post by mhonzell »

I know somewhere back there I mention the Liberty Cap coming from the Greek empire. What you may not know is that there is some contention as to whether it was an American idea or French idea to place on "modern" coins. If you look at some of the early American coins you'll find that pileus stuck on a stick being held by Lady Liberty (Columbia.) And, since the French Revolution came after our revolution... well, let's just say I think it might have been an American idea.

As Daniel stated, a civil war is the worst type of war. We fight our brothers and neighbors. So this Copperhead message was pretty clear.

In case you think that is a repeat of the left-facing Liberty from tokens I've shown before, count the stars in the headband.
Attachments
F-5-288a (2).JPG
F-5-288a (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#58 Unread post by mhonzell »

Another Copperhead idea... End the War! This is Our Country. Later the message becomes, this is One Country.
F-230/352Ba

(Somewhere else you've seen the 352. The 352B has the fuse ports on the cannons.)
Attachments
F-230-352Ba (2).JPG
F-230-352Ba (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#59 Unread post by mhonzell »

(Forgot to put in the Fuld number... F-136/397a. Someone, someday, may search for this.) lol:

In 1863, the Union is not fairing well. The economy in the cities has broken down and after several attempts to institute emergency money, nothing has worked. Groups of "Peace Democrats" are becoming vocal about compromising with the South and ending the war. If only we would honor the original ideas of the Founding Fathers. My how the tables have turned over the years. These "Peace Democrats" were known as Copperheads and they used the one form of emergency currency that worked to protest the war with messages of Hope and Peace.

But, there were those who had had enough and answered with their own messages in token form and through the press. Andrew Jackson supporters threw down the gauntlet and Abraham Lincoln banished some to Confederate lines. (Andrew Jackson supporters founded the Democratic Party.) It was bad enough have a North / South war. Now the Union was fighting itself. (Reminds me of the Vietnam era coming to a close.)
Attachments
F-136-397a (2).JPG
F-136-397a (1).JPG
Union vs Copperheads.jpg
Last edited by mhonzell on Wed May 13, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#60 Unread post by Paul »

I LOVE THESE POSTS M..... :trophy:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#61 Unread post by mhonzell »

Thanks! They are fun to collect and comment upon.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#62 Unread post by Daniel »

Yea, me too. I think it's great but sad history.

One thing to learn from all of this is that this country hasn't always been problem free from the beginning. We have had some decades that were peaceful to make it seem like there's the good old times, and add to that we tend to attach much emotion to life events when we're young.

So all of us think it was better when we were young but in reality, if you read history, you will see it wasn't the best then either. When I was born and through my first years we had Vietnam but I was having a grand old time and seemed like the best times.

It was followed by over a decade of mostly peace but still remember a few bad things in the news during the 80's and then the Gulf War came about. So yes we can gain some perspectives of life through history.

Keep them coming M!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#63 Unread post by mhonzell »

For those with an interest, the Civil War Token Society has finally updated the United States Civil War Store Card book. The previous book, the 2nd edition was last updated in 1975. This edition adds many new tokens, includes color photographs on glossy paper and has a section on Hard Rubber Tokens (also used during the Civil War era.)

How are these different than Patriotic Civil War Tokens?
They advertise the store they were made for instead of supporting the need for emergency money.

This does not include Patriotic Civil War tokens, which I pointed out in an earlier post.

Cost of the new reference: $100
About the price of one graded mint state token to learn about the thousands of types that were made.

(I do not own the example below. I'm waiting on the book to arrive to see if there is a direction I want to pursue.)
Attachments
Fr. Freise, Leichenbesorger, Undertaker.jpg
CWT Book.jpg
CWT Book a.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#64 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, it had to happen eventually... I'm posting a repeat die. The reverse is a die I have posted before, but the token is a different one. Why? Because this combination with the Tradesmens Currency only occurs with the 434 reverse.

F-202/434a

This token represents that crossover boundary between Store Card and Patriotic Civil War Token. The token is simply pointing out that this token is good for 1 cent worth of goods. At the same time, it points out it is not legal currency. The reason it is not a Store Card is that it is good at all locations. It does not advertise any particular store, so it is grouped with the Patriotic tokens.
Attachments
F-202-434a (2).JPG
F-202-434a (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#65 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#66 Unread post by mhonzell »

I put this token on the Memorial Day thread. As Paul pointed out with his article, Memorial Day came to us as a result of the Civil War. Initially, the North and the South celebrated different days by dressing up soldier's gravestones with flowers and flags. Later, they both compromised to celebrate the same day. While this token doesn't actually celebrate Memorial Day, it does point to a particular event during the war... Abraham Lincoln honoring the fallen:
Abraham Lincoln : November 19, 1863 wrote: Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that “all men are created equal.”

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle field of that war. We come to dedicate a portion of it, as a final resting place for those who died here, that the nation might live. This we may, in all propriety do.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate – we can not consecrate – we can not hallow, this ground – The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have hallowed it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here; while it can never forget what they did here.

It is rather for us, the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us – that, from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here, gave the last full measure of devotion – that we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain; that the nation, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
F-244/381a
Attachments
F-244-381a (2).JPG
F-244-381a (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#67 Unread post by mhonzell »

George Brinton McClellan was a character. Somewhat insubordinate to Abraham Lincoln, he was sent out to Virginia to test his mettle. Order to defeat Robert E. Lee and capture Richmond, Virginia, Ol' George seems to have somehow always to have been going the other way when General Lee showed up. But, as circumstances would have it, he arrived at Antietam about the time General Lee did and had no where he could walk off to be a bit safer. It was a bloody battle, and to Ol' George's tribtute, he managed to stop General Lee from advancing any further. But, he did not defeat Lee and he failed to take Richmond, Virginia. Abraham Lincoln was not impressed and relieved George of his command.

Well, what to do with all this time as a failed military leader? ... Run for President of the United States. Unfortunately, he was running against Abraham Lincoln as the Democratic candidate. He was not elected, so he ran for Governor of New Jersey. He won! (That should tell you something about New Jersey.

What do you give a failed military leader? A medal... worth one cent.
F-143/261a
Attachments
F-143-261a (2).JPG
F-143-261a (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#68 Unread post by Daniel »

Love the history.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#69 Unread post by mhonzell »

Found this token to be interesting on several levels: F-58/439a

First, the token is oversized. About the size of a quarter at 24mm, whereas all the others have been about the size of a normal cent.
Second, it has a straight clip across the top.
Third, it was struck as a medal instead of a US coin.

The obverse is fairly common except that it is signed by it's creator: L. Roloff.
The reverse is very unique!
Most people think these are Masonic symbols. Some of them did eventually become Masonic symbols, but these are actually symbols of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. This order established homes for senior members and orphans. While the order originated in England, there were disputes between the American and English versions. So, in 1843, some of the American lodges broke off and formed the Independent Order. The group accepted both men and women members, which was highly unusual. Today, the order is international and going strong.

The rings represent: Friendship, Love and Truth.
The heart in hand represents: Charity, and is associated with the Shakers in the Northeast.
The all-seeing eye represents: God.
The bow and arrows represent: (Still looking on this one.)
Attachments
F-59-439a-62BN (2).JPG
F-59-439a-62BN (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#70 Unread post by Paul »

VERY COOL M,
i don't think i've see a 'straight clipped' token/medal. :trophy:
SREC1, or mid-strip?...if ya know??

1. STRAIGHT RAGGED END CLIP (punched from the 'end' of the planchet making roll/strip)
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#71 Unread post by mhonzell »

I'm not sure it is the end of the roll. A close-up shows it to be fairly squared off.
Attachments
Straight Clip.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#72 Unread post by Paul »

m,
i just saw the 2 'weak/shallow' stars @ the clip, thinking there might be a 'taper' to the planchet (end of strip) ??
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#73 Unread post by mhonzell »

Yes, those two stars are weak and on the other side, it is somewhat weak and a bit rough. It's difficult to determine if it is tapered on this end, but the strike does seem to indicate that it is. I think you may be correct on this one. I just didn't see the indicators you were seeing.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#74 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-34/276a
This is a product of the Shubael D. Childs' shop in Chicago and one of the rarest copper tokens using F-34 (Coronet, or Liberty Cap) as the obverse. Childs produced relatively few patriotic issues and those issues are generally scarcer than tokens from other manufacturers. As a result, the obverse is the Patriotic Die and the reverse is bordering on being a Store Card. But, no store is designated keeping this token in the Patriotic Token attribution.

The 277 reverse is very close to the 276 reverse used here but is much more common. The 276 issue can be determined by looking at the bottom of the C compared to the bottom of the A in CARD. In 277 the bottom of the C is about even with the bottom of the A but in 276 it is distinctly below. With coins, this might be considered a variety. But, with tokens, it is considered a separate combination since it is obvious that a different die has been used on the reverse.

If you see one of these offered, be very careful to make sure that it is accurately identified.
This one is graded as an AU50 and has a rarity of R-6, meaning there are estimated to be between 21 and 75. It is now the rarest token I own. (There are 7 graded and I've seen one raw, which may now be one of the 7 graded.)
Attachments
F-34-276a-50 (2).JPG
F-34-276a-50 (1).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#75 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:I'm not sure it is the end of the roll. A close-up shows it to be fairly squared off.
so no one gets 'clip-fused', m's coin is a "straight" clip, NOT a 'ragged' clip
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#76 Unread post by mhonzell »

Other than the end of a roll, how would a straight clip occur?
Of course, you also have to remember, these tokens were not being produced at the mint. The process we think of today was not the process then, especially by these localized shops.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#77 Unread post by Paul »

i don't know the exact token/medal 'blank' making process from them.....i never had the need to 'study it',

:dunno sorry :dunno
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#78 Unread post by mhonzell »

Found some information:

It is thought by most that a straight clip occurs by reaching the end of the roll and the circular punch overlaps this edge. This is a possibility, but... the actual end edge of the roll will show layering as a result of the process of rolling the metal to achieve the desired thickness. Any coin made from the edge will have the following appearance:
StraightClip-Edge.jpg
Instead, most straight clips are a result of the roll slipping backwards slightly as it settles after passing under the cutter creating a shorter piece of flat stock to be punched. Again, the circular punch overlaps this edge and creates the straight clip. This 'sheared' edge has a completely different appearance than the one above:
ShearedClip-Edge.jpg
Based on this, my straight clipped token would be the later type.
Again, a true clipped edge should exhibit the Blakesly effect. For a straight clip, this effect should be an even larger area of the rim on the opposite side from the clip. The tapering of the clipped edge may simply be a lack of metal flowing into the unfilled area during the strike. The rim should show tapering at the edge near the clip due to this metal flow. See the above two photos. (Very difficult to counterfeit.)
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#79 Unread post by Daniel »

Back then they used shears to cut the metal stock and sometimes planchets got punch-cut with these edges cut with shears. So a ragged edge clip is different then than it is now.

Paul

#80 Unread post by Paul »

LC EXAMPLE
hugeeyes
Attachments
1961 LMC SRC23.jpg
1961 LMC SRC24.jpg
1961 LMC SRC1 - Copy (2).jpg