Fake UNOPENED Franklin Era US proof set envelopes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
tatonka
Coining Around

Fake UNOPENED Franklin Era US proof set envelopes

#1 Unread post by tatonka »

I have several UNOPENED original 1953-54-55 & 57 proof sets from the us mint, that I havent opened yet ( I like to brag that I have these ) anyway..I recently found 2 1957 us proof sets that I bought of Ebay that turned out to have fake envelopes ( I think ). I guess the real ones have ROMAN type lettering on the envelopes and if it is not ROMAN type, and has even edged lettering in the Lettering on the envelope means they are fake reproduction envelopes filled with allready viewed coins..can you elaborate on if this is a true gauge to judging fakes of unopened us silver proof sets from the Franklin & Kennedy era??

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fake UNOPENED Franklin Era US proof set envelopes

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

One other thing collectors must watch out for. I am not familiar with fake envelopes. I guess if a proof set doesn't have an envelope then someone might be able to create a fake version but then you would think that more than the lettering would be an issue here.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes pictures plz............ whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#4 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I received two 1960 "unopened" :h sets last month from one auction($40.50) that, when I turned them over to look at the seals, the flaps fell open. I should have known something was up when the seller only had one photo of the front of one envelope, not front and back of both. The seller admitted that one envelope did have a tear, front only, through the Mint return address (no photo of course). That tear COULD NOT have gotten there without having been opened. But they insisted that the envelopes were unopened and suggested I must have opened them.
I even resisted the temptation to remove the sets from the envelopes and view hugeeyes them, but knowing how dishonest the seller was in the description, I knew it wasn't worth the look. Even though the auction price was OK I returned them. The seller did give full refund, less return shipping. Live and learn I guess.
Take the time to look hugeeyes at the sellers reviews and be sure to post honest clear feedback (condition, communication, description, was your item well protected during shipping, attitude, sellers honesty and integrity to help honest sellers... and buyers.)
Everyone makes mistakes but it is how they respond and reply that makes a difference on whether to trust them again with another purchase. :thumbsup:

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by 2centsal »

I'm a little Confused, as usual . :l
What do you mean by the Envelopes ? I'm unfamiliar with Un-opened Proof sets from that time period . Are the Envelopes just what the Mint would of sent them in ? Sort of like getting a Mint State Roll of Coins in Generic coin rolls ??
I hope I'm not the only one confused by this story. :sos:

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

:eureka: flat pak
Attachments
flat pak.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

The coins are encased in clear cellophane. The "unopened" part refers to the manilla envelope that would keep the coins from being seen hugeeyes and that creates a premium for the sets. If they have never been looked at and evaluated since being produced they might be higher quality proof and therefore worth more. .

2centsal
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by 2centsal »

:confused: Still doesn't make sense because if their sealed who knows what Grade their in if Not opened. Right ?
Reminds me of an old Cigarette pack that the brand ran a Contest by inserting a winning coupon in the pack . The thing is, the pack was never found and only one was known to exist . The Pack was worth 6 figures unopened but if it was opened and had the Coupon, it was still redeemable according to the Company. I think it was Lucky Strikes or another old brand like that . Anyway, the winning prize was 1 Million Dollars but near worthless if opened and didn't have the Coupon in it . What would you do ?
If anyone knows about this story, correct me if the story is wrong.
As far as the Proof set, I would of opened it and secondly, you can't prove he opened the envelope . Glue does dry up and sending them through the Mail in a box even can't prove he opened them either . I guess what's done is done, right ?

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

Sal, these sets were very common. I bought lots, but I have kept about a dozen unopened. What could be valuable are Cameo coins or DDOs or DDRs, mistakes or coins first struck with highly polished dies. I am sometimes tempted, I have 55 through 64 flat packs that have not been seen. I got a couple of fabulous Franklins in them. One was and is my favorite coin, a 63 Proof 68 Deep Cameo. Dan

cableman
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by cableman »

I have not heard of these possible fake envelopes in the original manilla type but would not doubt that they exist.I have seen some white secondary envelopes though.There is a small premium for unopened sets but the possibility of a coin that Dan suggests/has ($700 in pcgs price guide) far outweighs the extra few $'s you may get for an unopened set.

Steven49
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Steven49 »

I have a set of 1953 proofs in cellophane.
What do suggest i do with them. I really can't appreciate them in cellophane but they are being protected. Do you think i should have any of them certified?
Attachments
1953 proof set
1953 proof set

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I think they're worth sending off as long as they're not beat up or spotted with ugly toning, this cello wasn't kind to these proofs.

Steven49
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Steven49 »

So you suggest taking them out of cellophane right away.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't recommend anything. You must decide on that,

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#15 Unread post by DSCoins »

I am not sure about the proofs but in 1958 the mint sent out uncirculated coins in cardboard. I'm not sure but I think they had 2 complete sets, with a couple more coins.

DScoins
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Thomasd65
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by Thomasd65 »

2centsal wrote: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 am I'm a little Confused, as usual . :l
What do you mean by the Envelopes ? I'm unfamiliar with Un-opened Proof sets from that time period rachat de credit tresorerie . Are the Envelopes just what the Mint would of sent them in ? Sort of like getting a Mint State Roll of Coins in Generic coin rolls ??
I hope I'm not the only one confused by this story. :sos:
Maybe they were envelopes intended to coax someone.