Guess the Grade-1868 Shield Nickel

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Guess the Grade-1868 Shield Nickel

#1 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Here is a game I like to play. Called Guess the grade(GTG). Your task is to guess the grade of this 1868 Shield Nickel . It's graded by ANACS if that helps. It also is a variety coin which accounts for some of its appearance. Also guess the particular variety( Fivaz-Stanton number) and win HUGE bragging rights! :D
Here it is. Grades chosen between G4 and AU58.
Attachments
imageedit_2_9694323713.jpg
1868NickelRev.jpg
1868NickelRev-side.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

Re: Guess the Grade-1868 Shield Nickel

#2 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:01 am Here is a game I like to play. Called Guess the grade(GTG). Your task is to guess the grade of this 1868 Shield Nickel . It's graded by ANACS if that helps. It also is a variety coin which accounts for some of its appearance. Also guess the particular variety( Fivaz-Stanton number) and win HUGE bragging rights! :D
Here it is. Grades chosen between G4 and AU58.
Greetings Sal, Well this is the first time I looked this in depth of the Shield Nickel so thanks for pushing my education into this interesting coin. ;)
I will take a stab at the grade witch is not my strongest field...I`m torn between VG10-VG12.
as far as the Variety we start with the TYPE IIB Reverse.
then what I can tell looking at yours in particularly the "C" I believe we have the Fiva-Stanton number of L2: 1868 S2-0001 FS-901 (FS-002.94)
Well I appreciate being challenged because at the end of this I will certainly receive more education as a benefit :D
Member of CONECA
"Don`t expect the respondent to lie and give answers the asker expects or desires"

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Marvic »

I'm also not the best at rating coins (It might qualify me for a job at one of these slabbing companies).
Here is my rating on this coin: VF-30 Cleaned with a Stanton 4 Variety (S-4)...

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

My guess: F-15, FS-901
(I think Dutch is right, so just covering bases.)

Fivas-Stanton numbers (old system, still used):
Capture.JPG
The C is rather weak on your Reverse of '68. But, here's how you make the call of FS-90x based on letters missing parts:
FS-904-45 (2).JPG
Compare C.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Marvic »

Oh my God, "mhonzell! Even if you are wrong, I'll give it to you...
I guess I was searching in the wrong places for the "Fivaz-Stanton numbers"... :lol:

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

#6 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

Marvic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:55 am Oh my God, "mhonzell! Even if you are wrong, I'll give it to you...
I guess I was searching in the wrong places for the "Fivaz-Stanton numbers"... :lol:
I spend 40 minuets at least in the wee hours analyzing and reading from many resources being I never evaluated this coin before, if I`m at least close its due to the Suffering :lol: :lol:
Member of CONECA
"Don`t expect the respondent to lie and give answers the asker expects or desires"

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Marvic »

For me, the main idea is to continue to educate myself from people who know a lot more than I do, and it looks like some of the educators are here on this site... :D

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Marvic »

Here are the varieties standard I use to define this coin; I left Fvaz out of it and used the Stanton method only...

The 1868 Shield Nickel has a few notable varieties known as "Stanton numbers." The Stanton numbers refer to the cataloging system created by Dr. George O. Stanton, who extensively studied and documented the varieties of Shield Nickels. Here are the main Stanton numbers associated with the 1868 Shield Nickel:
Stanton-1 (S-1): This is the most common variety for the 1868 Shield Nickel. It features a normal date placement with the numerals spaced evenly and close to the rim.

Stanton-2 (S-2): This variety is characterized by a re-punched date. The original date was slightly misaligned during the rubbing process, resulting in a doubling effect on some of the numerals.

Stanton-3 (S-3): This variety is known as the "Inverted Date" variety. The date digits on the coin are upside down relative to the other design elements.

Stanton-4 (S-4): This variety is similar to the Stanton-1 variety, but the date is positioned slightly farther from the rim compared to the standard variety.

Stanton-5 (S-5): This variety features a die break or die crack near the rim on the reverse side of the coin. The specific location and size of the die break may vary.

These are the major Stanton varieties associated with the 1868 Shield Nickel. Each variety may have its own level of rarity and desirability among collectors.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#9 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Okay boys! Here's the reveal:
Attachments
Label2-down.jpg
FS906PIC1.jpg
FS906PIC2.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Dutch-Tigger
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Dutch-Tigger »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:45 pm Okay boys! Here's the reveal:
WOW! well this was very fun and gives me a extra boost in wanting to be more vigilant in the details of even a coin I never examined. :D
:text-goodpost:
Member of CONECA

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Marvic »

Thank you so much, SensibleSal66; that was fun and educational. I got lucky and hit its VF-30 rating right on the nose... :D

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by mhonzell »

That's awesome! As I said, it was a weak C and I couldn't pick it up well. The FS-906 is actually a fairly recent addition in the die stage progression.
Here's mine. Click on picture, twice to really see what's going on with the C in Cents.
Attachments
FS-906-58 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins