1955 US Mint Sets

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
RDK
Coining Around

1955 US Mint Sets

#1 Unread post by RDK »

Can someone explain to me why there appear to be two different mint set issues in 1955. A 22 coin set and an 11 coin set. What is the situation with that?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1955 US Mint Sets

#3 Unread post by Paul »

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

You’re comparing a mint set to a proof set. Proof sets didn’t have mint marks in 1955 and had less coins than mint sets. I recommend not using the resources you’re using. Buy a 2023 Red book it has the values and information in these.

RDK
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by RDK »

I appreciate the reply, but I’m still confused. I have looked at both the red and blue book and am given to understand that the proof sets in 1955 came in both the boxed set and the “flat pack” but only included 5 coins. The mint sets included 22 coins. I also consulted “United States Proof Sets and Mint Sets” by Guthrie and Gale and they only mention the 5 coin Proof Sets and 22 coin Mint Sets. There is no mention of an 11 coin set???

What I have I inherited from my father. The coins are sealed in what, I guess, was referred to as clear “pliofilm” holders, as were the Proof sets? What I have appears consistent with the above EBay listing and picture with three separate clear plastic sheets and is consistent with the PCGS description of the “Mint Set” and matches the set composition listed by PCGS as three pennies, three dimes, two nickels, two quarters and one half dollar and matches the various mints noted in the set composition as well (11 coins)?? What’s more, I am 70 years old and my father passed away several years ago and I suspect he obtained these at least fifty years ago.

This is another, similar set, listed on Ebay but repackaged also including 11 coins. https://www.ebay.com/itm/295464555094

Any other thoughts on this?

RDK
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by RDK »

Also, I have two examples of these “sets” in my possession.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

You're mistaken, there's not a n 11 coin proof set, only mint sets had that many coins and you need to stop looking at ebay auctions and registry sets. You're confusing yourself. 1955 proof sets didn't have mint marks and where minted at Philadelphia Mint, and had 5 coins. Anything else is just a mint set.

RDK
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by RDK »

I’m not disagreeing with you. I have been of the impression that it IS a mint set and not a proof set. We are on the same page there. What I’m confused about is finding a reference to an 11 coin mint set for 1955 when all I can find listed are 22 coin sets. Did they make different sets with different numbers of coins in them in 1955. Is there something else I’m not understanding here? The red book only references a 22 coin mint set for 1955 and only gives prices for a 22 coin set, as far as I can tell? Thanks for you help and patience with me.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

The 11 is what you're seeing online and it doesn't mean there's an 11 coin set, it's half a set not a full mint set.

RDK
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by RDK »

Thanks Daniel, I don’t want to belabor this issue, but I am trying to understand the history of these proof sets as well as my fathers coin collecting history from whom I obtained this group of coins. Let me know if I’m carrying it too far and I’ll drop it, no hard feelings.

To be clear, my interest in this has nothing to do with what is on eBay, but because I have two of these 11 coin “sets” in my personal possession. The eBay listing was just to demonstrate that I am not the only one in possession of these.

I agree with you completely that the 11 coins constitutes half of a 22 coin 1955 mint set. I received two of these 11 coin “sets” from my father in two separate envelopes with, what appear to be two different purchase dates written on the envelopes (1964 & 1965) photos attached.

My question is why are they in these wrappers? The 1955 mint set was supposedly delivered on a cardboard sheet with individual cutouts and I can’t find any mention of the sealed plastic holders. Did these come from the mint this way or was this packaging done by someone/business after they left the mint? The equipment to seal these up in plastic would not have been readily available to a private person or small business +/-60 years ago, as it is today. And it seems odd to break up the set. Or perhaps this was common practice? I suspect that these came from the mint in these packages and the purchaser was expected to insert them into the cardboard holders, although I can’t find this stated anywhere?

Thanks for your time and interest.
Coins in my possession
Coins in my possession
F68B6518-544C-47A9-B7A5-026595BFCD90.jpeg
8FBB6659-863C-42F6-891D-22A0EC76E63C.jpeg
AB771112-31D5-4A5C-AAFE-137387CEF207.jpeg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

A private company made them up, the US mint did not issue them like this.

RDK
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by RDK »

OK, thanks Daniel. That helps clear that up for me.