Queen Elizabeth II has died, all Britain-related coin designs will change to Charles III

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Iceresistance
Coin Expert

Queen Elizabeth II has died, all Britain-related coin designs will change to Charles III

#1 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Yes, you heard me right. Queen Elizabeth II has passed away today at 96. Prince Charles will succeed her. The Elizabeth era has come to an end. :(

All British related coins (Canada, UK, Belize, Bermuda) will have a design change for her successor, King Charles III.
You are never too old to learn something new

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

Re: Queen Elizabeth II has died, all Britain-related coin designs will change to Charles III

#2 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Postboxes, stamps, banknotes and coins will change to Charles the III.
  • Postboxes will have his initials on the front but all previous ones (as far back as Queen Victoria) will remain.
  • While for stamps, for the last few months stamps have been introduced with a barcode next to them so that will follow on with Charles III and all non barcodes stamps will be withdrawn on the 31st January 2023.
  • Banknotes with Elizabeth on them will be printed until next year when Charles III Banknotes will start to appear in circulation. Most likely the polymer ones with Elizabeth II with continue to circulate for the near future (the paper £20 and £50 will be withdrawn at the end of this month).
  • Finally for coins, This year only two coins were issued into circulation The Jubilee 50p and the pride 50p. The U.K. and it’s colonies will start minting coins with Charles on them next year and all current coins with Elizabeth on them will circulate along side the new coins for the foreseeable future (same as pre decimal times when it was common to see coinage dating back to Queen Victoria for coppers and for Silver as far back as 1816 which was George III.
Worldwide collection “collecting and documenting finds since 2019”.

Facts about me;
  • I have visited 12 countries so far.
  • I have actively hunted for coins in 5 of those countries (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UAE.
  • Avid cat person.
  • I have a sense of dry humour.
  • History/Geography nerd.
  • Pretty good Chess player.

JTCC
Coin Guru

Re: Queen Elizabeth II has died, all Britain-related coin designs will change to Charles III

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

:shock:
U.S. cent lover!

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Worldwide C »

:flags-wavegreatbritain:
In my opinion Elizabeth II was one the most featured Monarchs on coins and banknotes in history. Her various portraits found on coinage, most of which can be found in change today all over the world.

I forgot every military branch, government buildings and passports will replace the title “her majesty” with “his majesty”.

We will see what happens, I’ll post an update on when the new coinage enters circulation in the United Kingdom.

Facts about me;
  • I have actively hunted for coins in 5 of those countries (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UAE.
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Although a US citizen I was very saddened by this news. As a kid living near, and always going across the border, plus having travelled the land from East to West, I felt very close to Canada. To a kid, the concept of actually having a real live monarch was something straight out of a fairy tale. So Canada was a magic land where you saw a picture of Her Majesty the Queen everywhere.

Being into coins and currency, I was especially mesmerized by the wonder of a land where the money was not only colored (compared to out comparatively boring green bills) but had a real live queen's picture on them. Spending those red 2.00 bills was another neat thing for me as a kid. I also loved the animals on the backs of the coins. Then there was that special 1967 set and I was always hoping to find a rabbit nickel - the one I never got in circulation (until ~2001!).

A sad day and the end of a historic era. May God give grace to the Royal Family during this time.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Her Majesty has been laid to rest along side her husband Prince Philip (who have been moved from the royal vault since April 2021) in King George VI‘s chapel at Windsor castle (the KG VI chapel was built in 1969 in Preparation for the death of her family, George VI was buried there 17 years after his death) and where the Queen mother and her Majesty’s sister was buried in 2002.

REST IN PEACE Queen Elizabeth II
21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022
23A5CC2A-4341-417E-B511-63E9CA1627DD.jpeg
F66ED886-D58D-43BF-B3FE-BFD974A97722.jpeg
C84298C6-89D5-488C-85B3-7F6BC0B5D830.jpeg
First and last two photos of the Queen (first one taken in early May of 1926 and the last two taken on the 6th of September 2022 while appointing her 15th Prime minister Liz Truss).
14B553F9-9E63-447E-A256-40823233C777.jpeg
This portrait (painted from 1989 to 1992) is one of the largest paintings of her majesty (measuring around 8ft) which was used on TV for the last few days.
C0E158A2-B2DE-4241-BBD9-1CD5F8A71296.jpeg
13E9850E-F96F-4438-A6CD-B660B5F741C6.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-62918196

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Still brings a tear to my eye. But thankfully she had a long and fulfilling life while making a mark in history that will likely never be equalled. Thinking of how many world leaders came and went during her reign is staggering. Having more experience on the throne than anyone else in UK history, as well as watching so many other world leaders come and go, her experience as a leader was truly unique.

As a coin collector, thinking of the literal billions of coins with her effigy on them is also a staggering thought. Then when you go back through her entire reign, you have to wonder if that number did not hit a trillion at some point collectively & worldwide. My guess is she was the person with the most effigies and likelnessess made of her in history.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Worldwide C »

The Royal Mint has just revealed the new portrait of his majesty Charles III which the first coin (a £5 crown) will be commemorating the life of the Queen will be released in early October, Then a commemorative 50p in December and from the 1st of January all new U.K. and commonwealth coinage would be struck with his portrait on them.
https://www.royalmint.com/stories/colle ... -portrait/

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#9 Unread post by DSCoins »

I just read something today about a coin that the Royal Mint will be making. They (The Royal Mint) did not list a date for release. They are supposed to have Queen Elizabeth on one side and Edward III on the other. They also show it with Queen Elizabeth facing Right, and Edward Facing Left. So far that is all I have.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Iceresistance »

DSCoins wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:58 pm I just read something today about a coin that the Royal Mint will be making. They (The Royal Mint) did not list a date for release. They are supposed to have Queen Elizabeth on one side and Edward III on the other. They also show it with Queen Elizabeth facing Right, and Edward Facing Left. So far that is all I have.
All of the designs will become Charles III next year.

A huge shame to lose possibly the most-loved queen of the 20th and 21st century. :cry:
You are never too old to learn something new

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Well most upcoming releases are normally rumours until the last minute because the only one that has been teased is the 25 anniversary of Harry Potter 50p silver round.. I do think the RM will mint more coins with previous monarchs on them as part with the monarch and great engravers series minted in Silver and Gold.

The only thing that the British coin community is not sure about is when the the 100 years of the BBC 50p and the 25 years of the bimetallic £2 is coming out and which portrait is going to be featured on the obverse.

Another question that is up to debate is will the 2023 definitive coinage with Charles III going to be minted for circulation? Because the latest commemorative that has gone into circulation is the Pride 50p but even though it was released back in the summer very few people have found them. Same the Platinum Jubilee 50p (released back in February) it took 6 months for 1 to turn up.
The most recent coins in circulation are.
  • 2020 1p (First one since 2017)
  • 2021 2p (Ironic because in 2020 the RM said that they won’t mint any 2p and £2 coins for 10 years)
  • 2021 5p
  • 2021 10p
  • 2020 20p (I haven’t seen any yet)
  • 2020 50p standard shield (I haven’t seen any yet)
  • 2020 £1
  • 2016 £2 Britannia (There is rumours about 2021 £2 coins that have been minted for circulation)

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

Hoping the effigy they use has King Charles III wearing a crown.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:51 pm Hoping the effigy they use has King Charles III wearing a crown.
Not for the U.K. coinage but it depends on if the commonwealth decides to use the portrait done by the RM or thinks that they should do one for themselves such as Canada since 1990 and Australia since 2019. Maybe Belize and the Eastern Caribbean states might adopt a Crowned Charles III because they have been using older portraits of the queen on their coinage.
25A387E8-0947-426F-8FC7-0E1A1469F8F0.jpeg
6A569D5A-1133-47EA-93EE-BB29C59E441C.jpeg

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#14 Unread post by DSCoins »

I just spent about 4 hours searching the Royal Mints site for this coin(s). I received my e-mail about the coin(s) was going on sale at 9 am BST tomorrow. If I could find the darn coin, I would most defiantly be awake at 4 AM EST to purchase it. if anyone as any further info on this let me know.
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

Just being truthful.

I like the REVs of those coin b/c, to me they have a good "regal" feel/design to them. This is how I think of the UK.

I think they did a good job on the likeness of HM the King, but feel it a bit plain for the REV designs.

This colonist/Yank, even as a kid, always pictured the "ideal" image of a king to be like the Canadian effigy:
King_George_V.jpg
I was hoping the new coinage would revive this llok/feel. Maybe Canada will?

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#16 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Well I ordered my coins several hours ago. I bought the first £5 coin with Charles III on it, the commemorative 50p and a £5 coin celebrating the 40th birthday of Prince William (released a few months ago). I didn’t buy the proof Commemorative Silver ounce because it was listed for £99.50 which is quite steep considering silver is about £19 an ounce in the U.K. Anyway it took me 3 hours to get on the website from the number 50990 in the queue down to 0! And could take up to 16 weeks to deliver.

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

At least you were able to get them! Please let us see them when they arrive.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#18 Unread post by DSCoins »

I have been trying to get one since 5 AM EST and all I get is "Consumer products not available in this currency" So finally I stopped at 6PM EST. It states that they are available but cannot order any of the ones being offered
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#19 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Update: Earlier in the afternoon I got an email from the Royal Mint and a few hours later from the Royal Mail stating that my order has been dispatched. I think due to demand and the postal strikes I could take a few weeks to arrive. But during the wait I did order a 2023 Silver Britannia £2 Ounce piece, the last one that depicts the Queen’s portrait on it.

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Unread post by Earle42 »

Looking forward to seeing them!

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#21 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Update 2: Sorry false alarm it’s my 2023 Silver ounce Britannia £2 coin that has just arrived.
CA4C71D0-A51C-49D1-ABF4-0537E4D74E24.jpeg
BA229A39-C763-41E6-A3E6-C3AD1670C5E9.jpeg

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wow, that is one beautiful coin. I enjoy this effigy so much more than the Canadian one it was being used because this one looks a lot more regal, which, for some reason come on my mind likes to see when anything official is made which represents royalty.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#23 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Today the Royal Mint has started production of the commemorative Charles III 50p which will be released into circulation sometime in December and the first packs of uncirculated coinage bearing the new king have started to be delivered to customers. So mine might be delivered in the next few days.

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#24 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Update 2: After waiting for more than a month I got an email earlier this morning confirming my order has been dispatched, which I’m happy about to show to the world.

Anyway while it makes it’s journey from Llantrisant (Rhondda Cynon Taf county) Wales to Lincolnshire let’s admire the Gold memorial Sovereign that was released recently. :dance:
706E93D3-E91B-4017-BDA3-D0AF8E8890EF.jpeg

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#25 Unread post by JTCC »

:thumbsup:
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by Earle42 »

That REV certainly is a real work of art.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#27 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm That REV certainly is a real work of art.
Yes it is. The reverse was designed by Jody Clark the person who designed the last portrait of the queen to be featured on standard circulating British and the Commonwealths coins starting from mid 2015.

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#28 Unread post by Worldwide C »

As of Thursday 8th December the first half of Commemorative Charles 50p of the estimated total mintage have been released into circulation through the Post Offices.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63888781

I’ll be visiting a couple of Post Offices tomorrow and asking friends to do the same over the next few days. :D

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#29 Unread post by JTCC »

Worldwide C wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:37 am As of Thursday 8th December the first half of Commemorative Charles 50p of the estimated total mintage have been released into circulation through the Post Offices.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63888781

I’ll be visiting a couple of Post Offices tomorrow and asking friends to do the same over the next few days. :D
good luck.
U.S. cent lover!

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#30 Unread post by Worldwide C »

Yesterday The Royal Mail released photos of the new Stamps featuring King Charles III which will be available from the 4th of April. From now on only stamps with the barcode on the right (introduced February 2022) remains useable from July when all non barcoded stamps (dating back to 1970) will be demonetised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64554857.amp
E77567B4-5D72-4331-BA78-4A287EE20DE9.jpeg
5A945957-2EDF-485F-B927-68EFE65A2B75.jpeg

Facts about me;
  • Avid cat person.