New Flip

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
musospuso
Coinasieur

New Flip

#1 Unread post by musospuso »

So I got frustrated the other night putting half-dollars in the 2x2s I had as they happened to be a particularly low-quality bunch (Thanks Bezos!) and got to thinking and then searching.

Is there a completely transparent flip, no cardboard, that seals correctly forever (no staples or glue), and displays all three sides (obverse, reverse, edge) clearly and cleanly? And is compatible with existing 2x2 plastic binder pages?

I drafted up something real quick in tinkercad and might bring it to my local library to print a prototype but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has encountered such a product that exists already. I have seen ones with the black satin backgrounds but that's overkill for my use case and I don't think they fit in binder pages. I have also seen the round clip together holders but again, those don't really fit properly in binder pages. They would wiggle around and fall from side to side. Plus, there's a 'crack' going down the middle of the edge obfuscating the view.

What I want is:
- doesn't damge or tone the coin
- all three sides are clearly and perfectly visible/displayable
- open and close forever without breaking the 'locking' mechanism; staples and glue need not apply
- compatible with existing coin binder pages

See attached drawings for what I'm talking about. Imagine the material would be completely (as much as feasible) clear and transparent. Maybe even put some magnifying property on it.
Attachments
pic1.png
pic2.png
pic3.png

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

Re: New Flip

#2 Unread post by pnwmakes »

How would it be held closed?
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

None that I know of. I use air tite (or other brand) capsules and EnCap album pages which are deign to hold those capsules b/c its the only thing on the market. And they can get expensive.

Whoever is making this for you, make sure they do not use PVC plastic. It has to be a totally inert plastic. I think its a great idea though b/c capsules are not as easy to store (when not in the album pages) as 2X2s.

A design that would stay together itself could be made so the base where the coin sat wuld be flat with a raised ring into which the coin would sit. The top of the unti could have a slightly larger rim that would snap down over the one on the base when the holder was closed.

The twi rims would hold everything together.

To make it hold together even better, the bases edges all along its' square sides could also be raised and fit into channels on the top piece.

I know that sound complicated, but could see how this would not be hard to make with a vacuum forming technique.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

There are clear, snap shut, 2x2’s

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Daniel wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 pm There are clear, snap shut, 2x2’s
These "snap cases" (or whatever) are nice, but at least the ones I have are very non-air tight with big gaps at the corners where they snap together. They also are a bit too thick and do not fit well in the 3-ring binder pages I have for normal 2X2s.

I think something like the ones mentioned here could be made for very little money (similar to the plastic bubble packaging everything comes in today at stores).

I have always wished for something like was suggested in this thread.

Anybody have time/resources/patience to produce a new product? :D
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

musospuso
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by musospuso »

That is precisely what I am looking for. Can you link to some that you're seeing? I have not been able to find any that fit quite what I am looking for.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 pm
These "snap cases" (or whatever) are nice, but at least the ones I have are very non-air tight with big gaps at the corners where they snap together. They also are a bit too thick and do not fit well in the 3-ring binder pages I have for normal 2X2s.

I think something like the ones mentioned here could be made for very little money (similar to the plastic bubble packaging everything comes in today at stores).

I have always wished for something like was suggested in this thread.

Anybody have time/resources/patience to produce a new product? :D
I am seriously working on it and I even have a newer design concept better than the last. I'll try to work on it over the weekend but essentially it's sort of like you said. I too like capsules in theory because they form-fit the coin and allow maximum viewing pleasure. But they're not compatible with binders. I have a design in mind; think transformers. In one mode, capsule that can be put on a stand or wherever and in another mode, connected to a 'sheet' that form fits into binder pockets. So you can swap your coin around for any context, storage or display and have maximum view-ability in each.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by musospuso »

pnwmakes wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:06 pm How would it be held closed?
That's one of the last major design challenges I am not sure of. However, I have a new idea that I think is better and more robust than the last. Will update this thread when I have another prototype model.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by musospuso »

musospuso wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:06 pm So I got frustrated the other night putting half-dollars in the 2x2s I had as they happened to be a particularly low-quality bunch (Thanks Bezos!) and got to thinking and then searching.

Is there a completely transparent flip, no cardboard, that seals correctly forever (no staples or glue), and displays all three sides (obverse, reverse, edge) clearly and cleanly? And is compatible with existing 2x2 plastic binder pages?

I drafted up something real quick in tinkercad and might bring it to my local library to print a prototype but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has encountered such a product that exists already. I have seen ones with the black satin backgrounds but that's overkill for my use case and I don't think they fit in binder pages. I have also seen the round clip together holders but again, those don't really fit properly in binder pages. They would wiggle around and fall from side to side. Plus, there's a 'crack' going down the middle of the edge obfuscating the view.

What I want is:
- doesn't damge or tone the coin
- all three sides are clearly and perfectly visible/displayable
- open and close forever without breaking the 'locking' mechanism; staples and glue need not apply
- compatible with existing coin binder pages

See attached drawings for what I'm talking about. Imagine the material would be completely (as much as feasible) clear and transparent. Maybe even put some magnifying property on it.
Sorry for the delay. Here is the updated version.

So basically it's a modular coin capsule that attaches to a backing slip that allows it to be put into standard binders.

The idea is that the plastic used would be made in such a way that the coin looks like it's floating with maximum visibility from all angles. Standing up a page would look like 9 coins floating in the air--well that's the idea anyway. Can't speak for the binder page I suppose.

Also, the modularity allows the capsule part to be taken off the backing and put onto any standard coin stand or other presentation device you desire.

If this existed it cures a lot of pain points I have with standard capsules and flips. I want to enjoy my coins from all angles and do not like the cardboard part.

The plastic backing part could even come customizable. Maybe you like your name or logo on it or other information. Perhaps information about the coin. Laser engraving anyone?

I played around with the idea of magnetism but I can't find a ferrous material that is transparent e.g. the capsule part would stick to the backing using magnets. If anyone has leads to the contrary, let me know!
Attachments
modular_capsule_v2.png
modular_capsule_v2_pic2.png
modular_capsule_v2_pic3.png
modular_capsule_v2_pic4.png
modular_capsule_v2_pic5.png

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Could there be a slight dip in the coin holder for the plastic lid to seal better? But then again, it could be harder for it to come out once it's sealed, but I view that as a good thing if you want to store the coin in a low-humidity area for a long time. It can become a time capsule if done correctly.

Is it possible to have an area to write out the name, details, and what denomination of the coin?
You are never too old to learn something new

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#11 Unread post by pnwmakes »

Not a expert but Magnets will corrode over time not sure you would want that next to your coin.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Earle42 »

As long as the lid is like a normal capsule & holds the coin in, I think this is a great design. Another thing you could do is to make 2X2s like the full sized album pages that have voids molded into them that hold coin capsules.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by musospuso »

Iceresistance wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:35 pm Could there be a slight dip in the coin holder for the plastic lid to seal better? But then again, it could be harder for it to come out once it's sealed, but I view that as a good thing if you want to store the coin in a low-humidity area for a long time. It can become a time capsule if done correctly.

Is it possible to have an area to write out the name, details, and what denomination of the coin?
Those are great ideas!

The back plane part could definitely be used to store information and with the right kind of material, might be "re-writable". Laser engraving, LED technology or something along those lines...obviously the former would be more permanent but that may not be a bad thing depending.

As far as the sealing, I could see multiple "tiers" of capsule components, some made for more permanent storage and others temporary depending on the desired use.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#14 Unread post by musospuso »

pnwmakes wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 pm Not a expert but Magnets will corrode over time not sure you would want that next to your coin.
I thought about that...definitely not the expert on that, would be great if someone knew. If magnets would be debilitating to the coin in someway then I'd definitely pass on that idea.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#15 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:48 pm As long as the lid is like a normal capsule & holds the coin in, I think this is a great design. Another thing you could do is to make 2X2s like the full sized album pages that have voids molded into them that hold coin capsules.
Great idea! The only concern I would have there is competition. Not that that would be totally bad but the original idea was to not make everyone's existing binders obsolete or to compete directly with the existing binder page manufacturers. That said, I could definitely see some kind of "premium" version with higher-grade plastic that does a better job of being "invisible"--as much as feasible. Or maybe having some other features like the ability to hold tags of some kind which display coin information text and be re-writable but in a cool, stylish, and professional-looking way. All museum-like.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Earle42 »

I already use a label maker for labeling 2X2s. Its inexpensive and easy.
Not that that would be totally bad but the original idea was to not make everyone's existing binders obsolete
Not sure I understand what you mean. I was thinking a 2X2 format like your last design that had a capsule-like top and void for the coin would fit into 3-ring binder type pages.

musospuso
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:27 pm I already use a label maker for labeling 2X2s. Its inexpensive and easy.
Not that that would be totally bad but the original idea was to not make everyone's existing binders obsolete
Not sure I understand what you mean. I was thinking a 2X2 format like your last design that had a capsule-like top and void for the coin would fit into 3-ring binder type pages.
Oh, I think I see what you mean.

Yeah, I could see two versions: a 1-piece as you describe--capsule and 'back' as one piece that can fit into a binder page and then another type that is a 2-piece where the capsule and backing are separate. The latter theoretically has more flexibility but there are design challenges I'm not sure how to overcome so it may just be the 1-piece.

Having backs separate from the capsule would mean the backs could be recycled and re-used for any size coin capsule. But if magnets are out of the question (and I'm not sure they are yet), then there are challenges about how to get the capsule to 'stick' to the back--adhesive...too messy and wears off. Some sort of clips or hinges--would affect visibility. Dunno, will have to do a lot of tests.

I have a place I am working with for a prototype so we'll see. Maybe I'll get a first run and send out some samples if I get that far :ugeek:

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

I currently have two types of album pages that allow for capsule to be held by them.

I was not aware of there being two types until I got the last ones in hand.

I am going to start a new thread about these with pictures and post the link here so you can see what the two brands I know of are like. It might give you some ideas.

https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=25132

Making small 2X2 Caps-type would make an easy way to put capsules into typical 2X2 3-ring binder pages. The voids are tight enough to hold the capsule securely.

Making a 2X2 EnCap-type type holder would allow for easier removal and opening of the capsule.

Both, since they were 2X2 size, would have an area to put a custom label onto (or use a fine tip sharpie).

The more features needed (like clips to hold it shut), the much more expensive to manufacture and sell.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

Just spent some time learning Tinkercad basics. Here is the design I think would be great to use with current 3-ring binder pocket pages for 2X2s.

All walls and bases are 1mm thick clear plastic and the coin fits into the raised void of the base. The cap sitting beside is just large enough to fit tightly onto the base to cover the coin. The side of the coin should be visible through the walls of the cap and the void.

The design is half dollar sized and likely would need test printed to find the exact dimension for the cap to be a snug fit.

Non PVC clear plastic like the EnCap pages are made of would work I think.
2X2_capsule.jpg

musospuso
Coinasieur

#20 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:50 pm Just spent some time learning Tinkercad basics. Here is the design I think would be great to use with current 3-ring binder pocket pages for 2X2s.

All walls and bases are 1mm thick clear plastic and the coin fits into the raised void of the base. The cap sitting beside is just large enough to fit tightly onto the base to cover the coin. The side of the coin should be visible through the walls of the cap and the void.

The design is half dollar sized and likely would need test printed to find the exact dimension for the cap to be a snug fit.

Non PVC clear plastic like the EnCap pages are made of would work I think.
2X2_capsule.jpg
I have a designer trying some different things but I'm definitely going to bring this one up as it's grace in simplicity. The key challenge is the snugness I would think--and visibility now that there would be two layers of plastic between the coin on the sides. Hard to get that right so that it's durable, not too tight, yet, tight enough for security. A tough plane to land but I think with enough prototyping and iteration it can be done right.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Unread post by Earle42 »

I have a designer trying some different things but I'm definitely going to bring this one up as it's grace in simplicity.
Thank you - that was my goal!

Snugness:
And yes, the snugness would be the issue. The Caps pages I mentioned in this thread:
https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/down ... &mode=view

seem to be exactly like normal plastic-form packaging and they definitely have a tight hold on the capsules they are designed to hold.
I would assume the cap of my 2X2 design could also be mae snug enough with that process.

Manufacturing:
I am wondering if a mold prototype could be made that would simply need vacuum forming to produce the holders. I have had a small background in plastics, but do not know whether PVC free/coin safe material could be used with vacuum forming.

Whatever material, and however they do it, to make modern plastic-form (if that is the proper term?) packaging of about everything you buy in stores anymore would seem to be a good approach to this if he process can make pieces within tolerances to keep the coin snug.

Side visibility:
As to viewing the side, I think 2 overlapping transparent pieces of plastic would allow readily for viewing. Regular capsules have a seam going all the way around where the two capsule halves meet. Most coins have nothing or are reeded on the edge, so I am not sure the two pieces of plastic would be obscuring much anyway if they were not 100% easy to see through. But, if you look at plastic-form packaging, looking through 2 layers is pretty clear.

I think it would need to be tried in hand to see if coins with edge lettering could be read. But these types of coins are definitely in the minority of what most coin collectors have/collect. So maybe some other design for those could be made?