To open or not that is the question? 1983 P LMC

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
pnwmakes
Coin Expert

To open or not that is the question? 1983 P LMC

#1 Unread post by pnwmakes »

To open, sell or keep? I have a 1983 P Lincoln Memorial Cent OBW roll. It is tight it is in the correct paper the end coins show toning like it they have been in the roll along time. Is it original who knows. But the question is what would you do?
1. Open and search it (love the FS-801 and FS-802)
2. Sell it
3. Keep it in the roll

Just curious what everyone would do.
Attachments
IMG-2309.jpg
IMG-2310.jpg
IMG-2308.jpg
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

JTCC
Coin Guru

Re: To open or not that is the question? 1983 P LMC

#2 Unread post by JTCC »

keep it sealed, not much sealed rolls of these are still in existance, and they do go for a premium.
U.S. cent lover!

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

No one can tell you what you should do with the roll. Some will say search it; some may say sell it, and so forth. Personally, I could not sell it in good faith at all. How do you know if the entire roll is 1983s? It doesn't matter the type of paper the roll is in, or that both sides are crimped like contracted armored car service rolled them. Some Joe Smo may have crimped them. You can go online, and find one on Amazon, and yes even on YouTube. I can drive about 1 hour up the highway and buy one directly from N.F. STRING & SON to roll and crimp single rolls. One can also purchase an automatic or semi-automatic one.
For me I would have a hard time, trying to justify selling it the way it is. Now understand I am not saying this is you, yet there are many who knowingly do sell them, claiming they are something they are not. There is one thing about this roll you have not mentioned as of late. How did you come by this roll? What was your intent when you purchased it?
The last thing I have to say, is if this was me, I would open and search it.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by pnwmakes »

Not asking what I should do but was just wondering what others would do. As for why I bought. I bought because I could and I collect older rolls. I mostly search for RPM’s. But could not pass this one up. As I stated I do t know if it is original or not. And if I was to sell it not saying I will I would not say it was original or I searched. Not that type of person. Again just wondering what others would do if they had it.
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Me specifically? Open it, search it, dump them.

Why?

in the early 70s my grandfather started to save a roll of both P&D coins from every year, pennies through quarters. His business required change, so when he would go to the bank and found he got rolls that all turned out to be brand new coins, he would keep an unopened roll and stash it away thinking one day BU coins would be valuable.

Silver was 2.85 an ounce when he started, meaning back then a 10.00 roll of quarters bought 3.5 oz of silver.

When I inherited the rolls, each 10.00 face value of clad quarters had lost enough purchasing power I could not buy even one ounce of silver with it.

Yes some of the coins were in nice condition, but none nice enough to be worth more than face value or make a decent profit off of. No varieties either.

This is why I don't store date rolls of coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Marvic »

As for me, I would break open that roll, for sure. I'm one of those that can't stand looking at a roll and not know what's in it....

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pnwmakes »

Broke it open found two 1983 LMC DDO FS-101's Not bad for $20.00 for two rolls.

see my post here

https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... 70&t=24891
Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

:thumbsup:
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?