Ist time PCGS submissions price question.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Artillery87
Coinasieur

Ist time PCGS submissions price question.

#1 Unread post by Artillery87 »

I am getting my first PCGS submissions together and have 22 coins in total I am sending in. Two I feel could possibly be worth more than $2500 so I put those in thier own submission in the walkthrough category, the rest I made a seperate submission in the regular category and used my 8 vouchers so I payed for 12 coins. I selected gold shield for both. The platinum membership with 8 vouchers was $250, the two walk through coins were $181 and the 20 others (minus the 8 vouchers, so paying for 12 coins) was $475 so that comes out to a total of $906 including the membership. On the declared value I just chose the pcgs value for the grade I think each coin will most likely recieve and I tried to be conservative but I am not a coin grader. Does this sound right or did I do something wrong to overpay? Do you have to get the gold shield to get trueview photos? That just seems kind of steep to me, close to a grand for 22 coins? :o Any advice from some seasoned veterans who know how the process works and some advice on the best way to do certain things to maybe save a few bucks next time would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and support, hope everyone has a good start to the week!

Audigy
Coin Collector

Re: Ist time PCGS submissions price question.

#2 Unread post by Audigy »

don't forget shiping cost to and back. gold shield I think is the only way to get true view. For the cost I would do the math : the amount you payed + the grading cost < what you would expect from a dealer if you sold the coins. the other thought is as a coin collector, you can slab any coins you like, coins you want to preserve. Cost is what you want to pay.

one advise I have is go see your local dealer get there option ask him his best guess of a grade and ask would any coin has a possibly not come back problem free. If they see any issue I bet PCGS will not grade it problem free.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Anytime you can save money sending coins for grading you do it, because you're more than likely going to be disappointed with the grades and designations you get. I wish you luck but this isn't a game for weaker hearts.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

coins you want to preserve.
Slabs are not air tight and therefore not, in and of themselves, not the best way to preserve coins. People make this mistake often. Coins can, and do continue to continue tarnishing (toning) in sabs as well. Storing slabs for any length of time is best done in a sealed container using a dessicant.

The few I have go into a ziplock, I evacuate the air. Repeat with another ziplock containing a dessicant package. And then units like this go into a sealed container with a dessicant package. Dessicant is cheap (free if you ask your local furniture store to keep the bags for you that come in almost every boxed piece of furniture they get in).

The best coins storage makes sure air will not circulate over the coin's surfaces. I know people think this concept means means a lot of money has to be spent. However, I have been told by a number of experienced dealers that the 2X2 cardboard holders are some of the best ways to keep a coin in original condition. These holders by design enclose the coin all around when the cardboard is stapled together.

Another great option is the Air Tite (or other brand name) capsules. While I am not sure they actually are perfectly air tight, they do one of the best jobs.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Artillery87
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Artillery87 »

"My heart is strong, but I can only hope my coins are not weak"
-Artillery87

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

best of luck. I hope it ends up being worth the cost. I've only submitted one coin to this point, so I don't have much relevant advice, but I want to hear how it turns out. Log your predictions now and maybe make a post about it

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Artillery87 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:28 pm "My heart is strong, but I can only hope my coins are not weak"
-Artillery87
Trust me, I hope the coins are all you think they are!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree - we all do!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Audigy
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by Audigy »

It's amazing how beautiful a coin is before you send it off. But when you get it back you see all the imperfections and lines....

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

Audigy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:18 pm It's amazing how beautiful a coin is before you send it off. But when you get it back you see all the imperfections and lines....
This, right here, is a real struggle for all of us.