Die wear doubling and material checks occur at the same time?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Coinkookoo
Coining Around

Die wear doubling and material checks occur at the same time?

#1 Unread post by Coinkookoo »

Hello ,I have asked before about this 1982 large date penny, and after researching what the diagnosis was .i agree also that a worn die would cause the imprint on the planchette i see . The only thing i csnt quite wrap my head around is this .we have a worn die that causes the impression on the planchette to be expanded and wide and irregular but smooth.Than what causes all the little check marks and scars all over the coin that to me appears to be part of the minting of the coin versus something after the coin left the mint .am i totally wrong ?I could not gind the answer anywhere .I am just trying to educate myself on my hobby.
Thank you all again .i greatly appreciate your expertise its going to make me a better numismatic
Attachments
2E185A04-DE78-4DE5-BF18-AD00072CFDE9.jpeg
B64E5E28-1137-46D1-BB20-EB38D0BE68A0.jpeg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Die wear doubling and material checks occur at the same time?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:?:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

...to me appears to be part of the minting of the coin versus something after the coin left the mint
I think an easy way for you to figure out about these marks are is to watch the short videos at the link below and then try to find an explanation as to how marks could possibly be made during the minting process. That should help you understand why the marks are all post mint damage.

:text-link:
How Coins (and errors) Are Made

Trying to find the EXACT cause of the marks would mean you would need to investigate the almost limitless conditions a coin might have happen to it after leaving the mint.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, you're not correct, all those marks are from circulation not the coin minting process or the die. We don't allow reposting the same coin in this community.