1946 Lincoln wheat cent Variety or fake?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JaseJournalsInc
Coining Around

1946 Lincoln wheat cent Variety or fake?

#1 Unread post by JaseJournalsInc »

1946 Lincoln wheat cent with some very “special” characteristics on the lower section of both sides of the coin. I have not ever seen this. This coin was in a bag of unsearched coins dating from 1909 to 1958 I purchased from an auction earlier this year thru LiveAuctioneers. The bag was full of oddities and most of them, they seem to be genuinely unique. Original collector must have been a collector/keeper of odd coins like me.

What do you all think?
Attachments
1946 obverse
1946 obverse
1946 reverse
1946 reverse
Auction listing
Auction listing

pnwmakes
Coin Expert

Re: 1946 Lincoln wheat cent Variety or fake?

#2 Unread post by pnwmakes »

Not a error, this coin was put in a vise squeezed Good example of a true vise coin. Again not a mint error, nothing in the mint processes could do this.
These users thanked the author pnwmakes for the post:
Zonian
Rating: 2.94%

Member of CONECA
Island Dweller
Former U.S. Navy

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

pnwmakes wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:44 pm Not a error, this coin was put in a vise squeezed Good example of a true vise coin. Again not a mint error, nothing in the mint processes could do this.
I agree
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Ditto
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

JTCC
Coin Guru

#5 Unread post by JTCC »

I agree, just a damaged coin, not a mint error nor a counterfeit.
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

It would really be a help for you to learn about the minting process. We have some short videos at this link:
How Coins are made:

:text-link:
How Coins (and errors) Are Made

You can see, when watching them, ther eis no way something like this could happen at the mint. And you probably will be able to figire out if other oddities you come across also were post mint damage.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I recommend not buying bags if wheats like this, they don’t bother telling you they’re low grade and damaged and they hope the buyer doesn’t have enough knowledge to know that either. As a matter of fact they hope the buyer thinks they bought some errors so they will bid again.
Your coin is damaged and a perfect example of what I am referring to.

JaseJournalsInc
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by JaseJournalsInc »

.I
Last edited by JaseJournalsInc on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaseJournalsInc
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by JaseJournalsInc »

Daniel wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 am I recommend not buying bags if wheats like this, they don’t bother telling you they’re low grade and damaged and they hope the buyer doesn’t have enough knowledge to know that either. They hope the buyer thinks they bought some errors so they will bid again.

I just lost my newborn son and my mother. I was trying to find a link to the living world, no harm, no foul, about the auction lot (off the HA app), Gentlemen, I am learning. Learning about the theory of production, minting, errors, varieties, etc., why do you think I joined the forum, to begin with? I prefer to learn right the first time versus being taught wrong and relearning later. Also, I came here To learn visually as well.
I think you all may have forgot about the initial thrill in this amazing hobby somewhere down the line, some patience for those green around the ears like me, and a bit of your common courtesy. Lord knows, being somewhat scolded for posting my first photo helped me develop a more profound love for numismatics.
I’ll return to my new member area over at the ANA for all my future educational needs and leave you all, to your blog.

Do you want to add it to your collection of damaged coins? Do you know for that book your going to write one day? Let me know.

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#10 Unread post by DSCoins »

JaseJournalsInc wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:50 pm
Daniel wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 am I recommend not buying bags if wheats like this, they don’t bother telling you they’re low grade and damaged and they hope the buyer doesn’t have enough knowledge to know that either. As a matter of fact, they hope the buyer thinks they bought some errors so they will bid again.

I just lost my newborn son and my mother. I was just trying to find a link to the living world, no harm no foul interns of the lot, and gentlemen I am learning about the theory of production minting, and etc. why do you think I joined the forum to begin with. To learn visually. I think you all forgot about the initial thrill in the hobby as well as some patience and a bit of your common courtesy.
I’ll return to the ANAcor all my educational needs and leave you all to your blog

Wanna add it to your collection of damaged coins? You know for that book you're going to write one day? Let me know.

I am very sorry about your loss. I really don't think Daniel was trying to degrade you or stating anything derogatory about you. When someone is just starting out on the voyage of becoming a good Numismatist: there are certain things they need to do, to better themselves. As he stated about not buying bags, is that a lot of these sellers (both on Ebay and some with Brick-and-Morter shops) will do their best to attempt you to purchase these bags. I feel that Daniel was just warning about these individuals. One of things we will tell most new Numismatists, is that they should start out looking for the known errors or varieties first. This will give you a good stepping to beginning of identifying true variety/error coins. It is very hard to reflect tones of one's voice when typing answers on a board like this. Those who are on this board trying to answer most questions in a short amount of time (remember we are all volunteering our time to answer questions). On most days there are between 50-100 question a day.
If needed, we have the URLs of the sites which are very beneficial in learning what can and cannot be done at the Mint. Once you understand all that and find yourself being able to look a coin and deciding in about maybe 3-5 seconds what it is. It is a long and slow process and fallowing it over time you will begin to notice yourself how much things have changed.
So once again please don't take what Daniel said as insulting, demeaning, derogatory, or attempting to degrade you. If you really want to learn the hobby this is one of the best places to be. You will get straight up, honest opinions about the coin you posted. Those on this board who give you their opinions, will post the answers honestly and will not sugar coat it.
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post:
Earle42

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

JaseJournalsInc
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by JaseJournalsInc »

Thank you I do apologize for my hasty response. I see so much more detachment everywhere I turn; a vetted response no doubt as so many others seem to be trying to “turn out” every single craft, hobby, and scholarly career. with so many outsiders trying to exploit everything, including what others hold dear for sentimental reasons or due to years and years of dedication to the craft. I think I was just caught off guard and I do appreciate your kindness and encouragement. I am in fact it reading the suggested material (this forum was referred to me by the same person that sponsored my ANA membership) I am in fact watching the videos, taking into consideration all the facets and absorbing as much as possible and utilizing the reference links.
The auction was on the Heritage auction app and I assumed only the best and credible were able to continuously hold auctions through them.
I've searched for a similar pattern (by all means at my disposal Apart from physical “trial and error”) before I posted this coin, but nothing fit even remotely (outside of a coin I saw with a cloth mark)

If apprenticing were still a thing in this day and age I’d be known by name by now, but I am just trying to learn all I can and teach my kids as much as possible thereby creating a family activity that can outlast me by generations.

I’ve found a few proud finds, (like Mr Daniel’s favored 1969 Lincoln cent with the date appearing to unravel and three variations of 1992 Lincoln cent, meaning one of these is super special) but I am not certain enough about my “eyes ability" to be, certain. and the initial responses would and had discouraged me from posting further new topic listings of each of them.
I believe this discouragement is why I vented in my response, to begin with. Again I apologize
Last edited by JaseJournalsInc on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

I was not rude, but gave you one of the best pieces of advice you can get, nip your issues in the butt before they begin. Also, I am sorry about your loss but it's not proper to just throw that out there in someone's face. We're here about coins and you have no idea what tragedies have befallen any of us here helping. We've all had deaths in our family.

And I see another issue "Mr Daniel’s favored 1969 Lincoln cent with the date appearing to unravel", I've never spoke on something like this nor said anything about a 69's with the date unraveling. I did do some videos on a 1969 Doubled Die, that is all. I think you must slow down, pay close attention to the details, and go one step at a time. You're confusing yourself.

Live auctioneers is not Heritage Coin Auctions, it is from Hibid and it is my duty to warn and inform and educate about this, it will save you in the long run.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
JaseJournalsInc

JaseJournalsInc
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by JaseJournalsInc »

My apologies yet again.
Correction the “1960 Lincoln cent” (in the video of 1960s Lincoln cent video)
And your absolutely right about all else
Sleeplessness and coffee rule my world these days.

Also, my story in meant to incite understanding for my moments should I be in one, inspire others to reach out or seek out our resources if (Heaven forbid) they need to utilize them. not to have a discouraging effect. I’m a mother of 14 amazing children. 13 living and I’m getting better each day so I can become my best self!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

JaseJournalsInc wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:23 am My apologies yet again.
Correction the “1960 Lincoln cent” (in the video of 1960s Lincoln cent video)
And your absolutely right about all else
Sleeplessness and coffee rule my world these days.

Also, my story in meant to incite understanding for my moments should I be in one, inspire others to reach out or seek out our resources if (Heaven forbid) they need to utilize them. not to have a discouraging effect. I’m a mother of 14 amazing children. 13 living and I’m getting better each day so I can become my best self!
It's always good to hear, I am trying to be my best self everyday as well. I fail often but I keep trying. Prayers!