The glorious result of a 50-year obsession! Lincoln Memorial set

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

The glorious result of a 50-year obsession! Lincoln Memorial set

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

As a kid working toward his merit badge for coin collecting with the Boy Scouts, I obsessively hamstered away several specimens any time I saw a fresh roll of new pennies being cracked open. Later, my addiction progressed, and I found myself buying rolls of pennies to satisfy my urges. Year in, year out since 1973.

Today, I finally accomplished a task that I had been neglecting for quite some time. Carefully selecting the best of the best of the cents I had carded over the decades, (Yes, really!) I finally completed the next-to-last page of my Dansco. That's another 36 cents you can add to the value of my album, my friends!

I suddenly have a new-found understanding of the "300-dollar dress on a wire coat hanger!" debacle (not that I'm taking anyone's side here).

Alls I'm sayin' is that my heirs better be nice to me!

S2330302.JPG
S2330306.JPG
Last edited by Matthudson on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoinBoy2
Coin Wizz

Re: The glorious result of a 50-year obsession! Lincoln Memorial set

#2 Unread post by CoinBoy2 »

:clap: Nice set!
ANA Member.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by JTCC »

Good looking coins for in circulation finds!
U.S. cent lover!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

👍
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Matthudson »

JTCC wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm Good looking coins for in circulation finds!
"Non-circulated"! Here too, I invoke the 5-second rule! HA! Otherwise, any coin that passes from the mint's hands to a dealer, on to you would be, by definition, "circulated"! (Or, is it "triangulated"?)

They say the best you'll find from a roll is MS63 at best. I don't care. Cents after 1982 will always be junk to me. Yes, my aversion to them is that strong!

I only have these, because a page in a 50-dollar album told me I had to include them.
Last edited by Matthudson on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#6 Unread post by JTCC »

Matthudson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:11 pm
JTCC wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm Good looking coins for in circulation finds!
Here too, I invoke the 5-second rule! HA!

They say the best you'll find from a role is MS63 at best. I don't care. Cents after 1982 will always be junk to me.
roll, not role. :lol:
I agree, zincolns are definitely lacking in many aspects from their copper counterparts.
Question out of curiosity, what is your oldest cent found in circulation with luster? :?: :P
U.S. cent lover!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

JTCC wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:16 pm

They say the best you'll find from a roll is MS63 at best. I don't care. Cents after 1982 will always be junk to me.
I agree, zincolns are definitely lacking in many aspects from their copper counterparts.
Question out of curiosity, what is your oldest cent found in circulation with luster? :?: :P
1956, and curiously about 2 years ago! Before that, even in the early 70s, never happened upon a wheat cent with luster! Ever! The coins I saved from 1959-1972 were mostly from old-lady relatives I could pester to surrender their jars of change to me to search through. I did offer to count and roll them in exchange for the ones I was allowed to keep.

I got a 1909 V.D.B. F/VF in change at a convenience kiosk on the outskirts of Atlanta in March of 2012! (Surely ex someone's collection.) Just sold it this year for $3.50. Woo-hoo! Nearly free pack of cigarettes!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Matthudson »

Matthudson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:20 pm

They say the best you'll find from a roll is MS63 at best. I don't care. Cents after 1982 will always be junk to me.
In life, we tend to be preoccupied subconsciously with that which we crave, but cannot get.

I am an actor. (That's true!)

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Matthudson »

They're for sale! 36 cents for the coins and $14.95 for the album page, plus S&H!

I invested my whole afternoon on an utterly pointless waste of time, and couldn't have loved it more. Just wish it was IHCs or Barber Dimes, or something.

- I bought this old guy's - even older than me - penny binder for $100.00. The purchase yielded about 13 very nice coins, 1913, 1919 PDS XF, 1938 P&S BU, several crazy good 1920s cents. In addition to that, I sold the remaining 352 cents (lots and lots of dupes!) for the original $100, plus more than enough to cover the price of the Dansco. It was at that moment I decided: ONE SET of LINCOLNS!!! That's it!!! The myriad contemporaries of these mems go to the bank tomorrow after I make a few Whitman folders to give away as a door/booby prize to the kids. And my problem is, I can't seem to discipline myself to keep all my coins together. They're here in this box, there in that jar, in that folder, in this album, in the jewelry box, in the shoe box for slabbed coins. Arrrrrrrgh! I'm drowning in pennies!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by Matthudson »

I was born in May, 1963. I coexisted with silver coinage exactly 7 months. By the time I could say, "silver", it had all been picked out of circulation. Nobody seemed interested in the 40% Kennedys - they still aren't wildly popular. I guess I could have stocked up on those as a 7-year-old, but I was unaware at the time.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#11 Unread post by JTCC »

Matthudson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:20 pm

1956, and curiously about 2 years ago! Before that, even in the early 70s, never happened upon a wheat cent with luster! Ever! The coins I saved from 1959-1972 were mostly from old-lady relatives I could pester to surrender their jars of change to me to search through. I did offer to count and roll them in exchange for the ones I was allowed to keep.

I got a 1909 V.D.B. F/VF in change at a convenience kiosk on the outskirts of Atlanta in March of 2012! (Surely ex someone's collection.) Just sold it this year for $3.50. Woo-hoo! Nearly free pack of cigarettes!
Nice finds! :clap:
Never found a 1909 in circulation, but a unc RB 1941-P Lincoln a few weeks back in a bank box.
U.S. cent lover!

Marvic
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by Marvic »

Well Done, Sir, you earned your Boy Scout Merit badge!
Attachments
BS M B 01.png
BS M B 01.png (238.31 KiB) Viewed 266 times