1864 CN Indian - Matt vs eBay - the adventure continues!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

1864 CN Indian - Matt vs eBay - the adventure continues!

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

In my current "Penny Antics" I find myself bidding on this lot:

"This is a lot of 20 Indian Head Cents found in a local estate. I do not grade or offer opinion."

Um... okay... uh? I know nothing about cars, but if I'm trying to sell you one, I do know that people generally don't like dented front quarter panels and smashed windows, so I would tend to mention it, uh...!

Bob 1.jpg

Starting bid is $9.99, so what can go wrong? Oh, why not, right?

HANG ON!!! Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Bob 2.jpg
Bob 3.jpg

Quite right! A big fat 1864 CN Indian easily worth $20 and up!!

I win the auction for $12.03 plus S&M and taxes = $18.05. That's "fatty", plus 19 of her sisters for free!

Then THIS arrives!

S2300077.JPG
S2300083.JPG

My amusement is NOT undiluted at this moment...

But wait! There's more!!

S2300129.JPG

One coin is even [gold?] plated!! (Damaged, of course)

S2300072.JPG
S2300075.JPG

That's the bad news...

Then... suddenly THIS:

07 1.jpg
07 2.jpg

Instinctively I reach for the acetone to give the rest their welcome bath. Some I boil in soapy water (Dawn works best) to remove the grease and tar. Borax reduces mild corrosion quite well, but be BRIEF! It doesn't take much!

Magically, 12 of the coins emerge in an acceptable state from VG to VF!! Oh, good! I've had a NOS* Indian folder for an eternity. It's been itchin' to get some slots filled. (*New Old Stock. Unsold articles that have been discontinued.)

And... Ta DA!!! Asking $24.00 to cover the price of the coins and the folder. (3 of these coins are from the original purchase; the other 9 were swapped into my ongoing permanent folder, and these are its dupes. Got to upgrade my set for free and may make a minimal profit in the process!)
Last edited by Matthudson on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

Re: 1864 CN Indian - Matt vs eBay - the adventure continues!

#2 Unread post by Matthudson »

S2300139.JPG
S2300140.JPG
S2300143.JPG
S2300144.JPG
S2300151.JPG
S2300154.JPG

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Matthudson »

And oh! There's this: I didn't photograph the coin before - so this is my photoshop recreation. So dark, you could just barely make out the type. I almost deposited it at the bank. Took some training, but I finally have the tellers conditioned to recognize that dateless buffaloes and Indian Head cents are legal tender US coinage. They couldn't care less! They're used to it now. Each time I offer to let them keep the coins. Each time it's *yaaaawn*.

Anyway, yeah... she got to spend the afternoon in lemon juice:

S2300155.JPG

She'll be on the window sill for about a year.

S2300156.JPG

I really do prefer this particular coin cleaned over its previous condition. So, that's my legacy for the future. Sorry, nephews and nieces! That's all ya get!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

You are just having waaaaay to much fun with this :D

Keep it up!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm You are just having waaaaay to much fun with this :D

Keep it up!
You don't know the half of it! Another 11-coin lot yielded all VF-XF coins for $23.00 - Beautiful, every one. Upgraded my own album (all VG-F) considerably! And, I have a realistic outlook to sell those at the price I paid for the higher grade ones - or close to it!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm You are just having waaaaay to much fun with this :D

Keep it up!
OMG, Earle! I couldn't quite find a name for the experience I'm having. "Fun"? I like that. Can I use it?

1907 AU.JPG

Just as I went on to cancel the auction, because I decided I wanted to keep it. (There's luster!) Bam! "Buy it Now" accepted!

(Always include a "Buy it Now" option on your auctions! Some people don't want to wait until the auction runs its course.)

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

And then, this today. Why do people love to bid on utter garbage, but not my nice coins?! Whaaaaayyyyy?!

Capture.JPG

So, there we are. A lot of 20 coins paid for by the sale of 9 of them. Yay! That leaves 11 free decent G/VG Indian Cents for me to have and to love and to start a new folder with! Could there be 11 whole dollars in my future? Does the cat get the expensive treats this week?

I do recall that one of them, an 1888, upgraded the one in my "best of the best" album. The others didn't make the cut, and placed in my folder. (I have two, a "Bookshelf Album, and a Whitman folder, BUT one of the very earliest design and layouts from when they were first introduced!)

The mug shots of the monsters in this lot:

1864 - Graffiti.JPG
1865 - Damage.JPG
1883 - Bent.JPG
1883 - Graffiti.JPG
1897 - Gold Plated.JPG
1898 - Rim Damage.JPG
1899 - Corroded.JPG
1899 - Scrapes.JPG
Last edited by Matthudson on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice haul.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Matthudson »

Matthudson wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm
Then... suddenly THIS:

07 1.jpg
Major pangs of seller's remorse this morning. So beautiful! But, I had to sacrifice something to justify the purchase! I'm so sorry, ma petite. You trusted me, and I have betrayed you!!!
Shoulda worked the other way. Sell the other 19 to earn this keeper for free. But, no. The sale yielded a profit of $14.41 (plus the fact that 9 of the coins in my current collection got upgrades), and now I am left at my table alone with nothing to eat but my gold like poor King Midas.

Eh, what the heck! May hold a barbecue cookout/wake next weekend to mourn the tragic loss...

Peggysis
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by Peggysis »

Good job. Have fun!