1873 Arr Seated Dime. Score!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Matthudson
Coin Wizz

1873 Arr Seated Dime. Score!!

#1 Unread post by Matthudson »

While eBay surfing this morning, I hit upon this beauty:

1873 arr dime obv.jpg
1873 arr dime rev.jpg
What I check for and LOVE to see:

1. Does the seller accept returns? Yes!!

Description: U.S.A 10 cent 1873 Silver coin. Hmmm, okay... let's look and see what other stuff this guy sells:

items.JPG

Oh frabjous day! Not a coin dealer! And no competition on the bidding per se (1 other bidder jacked it up from $25 to $30 - MONSTER!!)

My winning bid: $31.00 plus shipping and tax - $37.79!!

If the coin arrives without surprise damage and is not cleaned (Unlikely. C'mon it's been cleaned, hasn't it?) the wholesale list in XF could be up to $150.00!!!

Either way, dinner is on me! You can even order a second Whopper and get the large fries!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1873 Arr Seated Dime. Score!!

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Not too shabby Matt! I'd buy it for that amount. :D Hopefully it all works out for you. :dance:
P.S I'd rather eat at Wendy's though. :lol:
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Matthudson »

I like my pleasures simple these days. Life is too complicated anymore. Even a profit of $20.00 makes this ole man happy.

Just wish the CC on the reverse wasn't so weakly struck!

JTCC
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by JTCC »

Matthudson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 am Just wish the CC on the reverse wasn't so weakly struck!
LOL. Great catch!
I’d say the coin would grade about very fine. If true, in that case, you still made out.
U.S. cent lover!

rrogers015
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by rrogers015 »

Nice job Matt! Even with returns, I’m still hesitant on EBAY purchases.
Can you imagine a one time purchase buying a scope, hatchet, comic book, and coin from this seller? :P

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Matthudson »

rrogers015 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm Can you imagine a one time purchase buying a scope, hatchet, comic book, and coin from this seller? :P
My ma used to send me to my room with only my knives, bear traps, axes, and comic books. I had a somewhat "unconventional" youth.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Matthudson »

JTCC wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:47 pm I’d say the coin would grade about very fine. If true, in that case, you still made out.
Ooh, you're strict! But, okay $70.00 still. Knowing the fellows at coin club ain't gonna go for much over $50.00. Heck, I might as well give it away. Earle? Want a coin?
Seriously, If I got $85, I'd thank the buyer profusely and then run to catch my train.

Aaaand we're back to ONE Whopper only. We'll split a large fry.

Still, I'm banking on details that didn't feature well in the pic. The right thigh appears to be well rounded, and the um, "ba-zooms" rather turgid. On the reverse, the light washes the detail in the bottom left, while the ear of corn up right is encouraging. I'll re-photograph and post when it arrives.

For example:

I just posted this a few days ago:

S2280065.JPG
S2280068.JPG
Kicking myself, because I didn't post this too. When I tried today, it was too late. I already had a bid. Probably cost me about $3.00 on the bid I got. (Sold for $5.00 - seeing the diamonds would have boosted it to $7.00 or $8.00, according to my past experience.)

S2290008.JPG
Last edited by Matthudson on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Well Matt, I see once more you were taken for a ride! This is obviously a U.S.A. made fake coin (as shown at the top of the 2X2) or why would the original person who put it into the 2X2 have only put a price tag on it of...and I quote from the picture..."10¢?!!?!?"

Never fear! I am once again here to alleviate the future painful memories you will have whenever your eyes chance once upon the unfortunate incident of encountering this coin and losing out on your hard earned cash for it.

Just b/c we are good friends, I will take you up on your offer.
Heck, I might as well give it away. Earle? Want a coin?
I will even send you a sympathy card to help your damaged feelings.

BTW - for any newbies...just in case...Matt got a great deal on a real coin. This post is all tongue in cheek.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Matthudson »

Coin arrived! It's NOT cleaned! it IS XF, if not better! Some gunk slid right off in the acetone. There's luster!

Snapped in two different lighting environments:

S2300038.JPG
S2300045.JPG
S2300048.JPG
S2300051.JPG

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wow - very nice! I look forward to receiving it in the mail!

Would you like the sympathy card to be a musical one or not? :lol:
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

JTCC
Coin Guru

#11 Unread post by JTCC »

Very nice score! After seeing updated images, I have to agree with you evaluation on the coin being an XF. I take the VF back. :oops:
U.S. cent lover!

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by Matthudson »

How can we know?! Developing a knack for guesstimating less than clear images is a boon! It also keeps the numbers of counter bidders dpwn!

I had a feeling on this one. AND I WAS SO DOGGONED RIGHT!!! Refreshing, after the Barber Dime debacle of 1915 recently!

This is a true beauty! If it sells well, I might just ambush the seller with a surprise $20.00 bill in the mail to show my gratitude.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by Matthudson »

There is always a certain sadness when I have to let one of the good ones go. A numismatic postpartum depression, as it were. Like watching your favorite kid graduate. *sniff* :eusa-violin:

It's worth more than $100, and I tried, but, what the hay?! Buyer got it for VF money. We both win! (And, especially eBay and the USPS with their insane prices! Oh, whoopie!)

yay*

Dime buy.JPG
dime sell.JPG

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by Matthudson »

My take, in case you were wondering? $29.58 after all is said and done. :shock:

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

I miss the eBay of the 90s (as well as the postal rates). They are both just masters of greed nowadays compared to what they used to be.

Matthudson
Coin Wizz

#16 Unread post by Matthudson »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:26 pm I miss the eBay of the 90s (as well as the postal rates). They are both just masters of greed nowadays compared to what they used to be.
Put on a pot of coffee. This discussion could take a while! BUT, no more sacrificing a cut to the obligatory Pay Pal at least!

This is a $100 + coin! But who collects seated dimes by date these days? I have GOT to get a web site up and running.
Happy to start getting a little braver and a little better at picking 'em. Last year, I lost money. This year, I'm up about $1,000.00. Next year - world domination!

And I have to use ridiculous split grades in the description, because eBay won't let me write "XF45"! Don't tell Sheldon, but that designation is only allowed on slabbed coins!

By the way, has anyone ever even made a dent in a folder like this? Ever?!

s-l1600.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Earle42 »

Last year, I lost money. This year, I'm up about $1,000.00. Next year - world domination!
Good job!

JTCC
Coin Guru

#18 Unread post by JTCC »

Matthudson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:32 pm
Earle42 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:26 pm I miss the eBay of the 90s (as well as the postal rates). They are both just masters of greed nowadays compared to what they used to be.
Put on a pot of coffee. This discussion could take a while! BUT, no more sacrificing a cut to the obligatory Pay Pal at least!

This is a $100 + coin! But who collects seated dimes by date these days? I have GOT to get a web site up and running.
Happy to start getting a little braver and a little better at picking 'em. Last year, I lost money. This year, I'm up about $1,000.00. Next year - world domination!

And I have to use ridiculous split grades in the description, because eBay won't let me write "XF45"! Don't tell Sheldon, but that designation is only allowed on slabbed coins!

By the way, has anyone ever even made a dent in a folder like this? Ever?!

s-l1600.jpg
Nope, days of the coins in that album is cheap enough to be in that album is looooooooooong gone.
If I were ever to start a bust dime album, which is highly unlikely, the series is way too rich for me, it would be in a nice Dansco album.
U.S. cent lover!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by Earle42 »

I really like the look of Dansco albums. But I wish they would not have cardboard touching the coins so they will deteriorate. It was my fault b/c I thought, many moons ago, I had stored my albums well enough to not have UNC coins in them deteriorate with time. I ended up with a lot of ruined coins. So now, although I don't ming circulated coins being in albums, anything with luster goes into a capsule or 2X2. A few sets I have put out the $$ for the En Cap album pages.

Maybe if they would take all the recycled plastic drink containers and make plastic coin album pages with them we could solve two problems at once!
:character-jestercolor: :teasing-tease: