$0.01-2015-D DDO or something else?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
musospuso
Coinasieur

$0.01-2015-D DDO or something else?

#1 Unread post by musospuso »

I checked vv, wexler, cc, and lcr but only the first two had something to compare. However, Wexler doesn't give specifics on other secondary marks to look for and I couldn't match the ones on vv. Ok, fine, so it's not a current attributed variety. My question then is, what is it? What is this type of damage, accident, chance, act-of-God that makes such a perfect doppelganger to a "real" Type VIII? You can even see it from the full shot, stickin' out all obvious-like.
Attachments
1C-2015-D-DDO-obverse.JPG
1C-2015-D-DDO-reverse.JPG
1C-2015-D-DDO-closeup-1.JPG
1C-2015-D-DDO-closeup-2.JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: $0.01-2015-D DDO or something else?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

It may help to study and learn the minting process :?:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

musospuso
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by musospuso »

Paul wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:05 am It may help to study and learn the minting process :?:
It's been a while but I have read the below:

http://doubleddie.com/58201.html
http://doubleddie.com/58222.html (each article on the dd types as well)
https://www.error-ref.com/part-ii-die-varieties/ (ditto)

If there is any additional educational information you could recommend that would be great.

In the mean time if you have any advice for this particular coin that would be most appreciated. Some day I hope to have as much experience and knowledge about coins y'all and I can help someone asking a similar question. If I violated the posting rules in some way or I need to provide more photos or information please let me know.

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

Does any of that information include the die making process :?:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

musospuso
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by musospuso »

Paul wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 am Does any of that information include the die making process :?:
First heading of first paragraph of first link: HOW DIES ARE MADE.

Clearly I am violating some rule I missed. Did I I post in the wrong forum? Not include the correct information? Not enough photos? What am I doing wrong? Just making sure I am in the right place. Coin help...errors and varieties...seems to check out but I must be missing something. Let me know and I will fix my post or move it to a more appropriate forum topic.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

You did not do anything wrong, Paul is helping you to find the answer by helping you focus which specific area of the minting process to study.

What is this type of damage, accident, chance, act-of-God that makes such a perfect doppelganger to a "real" Type VIII? You can even see it from the full shot, stickin' out all obvious-like.
OK, I admit I am on meds right now trying to stave off one of my migraines, but I am missing what to you is obvious.

I have no idea what it you are looking at that somehow you are tying to a type of doubled die?

So rather than me spending a half hour researching the website and comparing with your cent while hoping to find the specific things you are questioning,it would really help to have specifics here to save me some time in trying to figure out what you see.

Such as, "Why does my Lincoln only have one Martian antenna and the one on vv has two?"
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

musospuso
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by musospuso »

Earle42 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 pm You did not do anything wrong, Paul is helping you to find the answer by helping you focus which specific area of the minting process to study.

What is this type of damage, accident, chance, act-of-God that makes such a perfect doppelganger to a "real" Type VIII? You can even see it from the full shot, stickin' out all obvious-like.
OK, I admit I am on meds right now trying to stave off one of my migraines, but I am missing what to you is obvious.

I have no idea what it you are looking at that somehow you are tying to a type of doubled die?

So rather than me spending a half hour researching the website and comparing with your cent while hoping to find the specific things you are questioning,it would really help to have specifics here to save me some time in trying to figure out what you see.

Such as, "Why does my Lincoln only have one Martian antenna and the one on vv has two?"
Oof, migraines are terrible, my wife gets them a lot. No bueno! Hope your medicine kicks in.

It is one of the common (and by that I mean it affects most of the 2000s Lincolns in the same spot with mainly size variations) "extra ear lobe" type VIII double dies. It's basically a small doubling of the lobe that appears just south and west of the main ear device. It's pretty prominent if you blow up/zoom the main obverse photo. It becomes less prominent on the zoom ins paradoxically but it is still there. The conundrum is that it looks exactly like the listed and attributed examples on vv and wexler but I am not able to match any of the secondary die marks or scratches leading me to conclude it is not an existing double die. The likelihood that I discovered a new double die is slim so I figure it must be something else; so I thought maybe someone with a ton more experience might know what it is--kind of like when someone pointed out Machine Doubling to me the first time and how it is often mistaken for true double dies. This example has no similarity to MD I've seen so I didn't think it was that either.