Found old coin, need some help/advice

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
david.burland
Coining Around

Found old coin, need some help/advice

#1 Unread post by david.burland »

I live in Southern Cali and last summer I kicked up a coin on the beach. It is encrusted with sand but you can still read the coin strangely enough. It is a 1712 Spanish Real ( I think they're called piece of eight?). Anyway, I'm kinda stuck on what to do with it. Like should I have it cleaned? (professionally of course) Where would I get that done safely or is it better to leave it in it's present condition? And what would it cost if I did? I thought about taking it to a coin shop but I figure they'll just try to take me for a ride. I'm ignorant not stupid!
So I've been on this site before and have gotten good advice so far. Wadduya think :-) ? I'll post some pics of it tomorrow. It's already 1am here so I'm gonna crash out.
BTW, I also collect foreign money (I was Navy, It's an occupational hazard!) and I have a few coins that are fairly old (early 20's and 30's) but most of what I see is old American coins. Where might I find out how much if anything these coins are worth?
Thanks to all.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Found old coin, need some help/advice

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Love your story as a coin collector and Metal Detectorist . Can't wait for the Pics. . I personally would have the "conservation " done Professionally as I would be afraid to mess it up .
Wouldn't be cool if it was tied to a Pirate's ship loot ? I would check for any shipwrecks in that area also . There could be more .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

OttoGabriel
Coining Around

Re: Found old coin, need some help/advice

#3 Unread post by OttoGabriel »

I love your story. Coins are precious. Keep them safe, make sure they are not lost.