Dealers becoming Coin Graders

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nevada Cowboy
Coin Collector

Dealers becoming Coin Graders

#1 Unread post by Nevada Cowboy »

I dont see any reason why a Coin Dealer who decides to grade his own coins and the general publics would be an issue.

I know that it would be very easy to obtain an Ultrasonic Sealer and a Label Printer. Compared to what's out there currently, I could make a Company that would blow the doors off of everyone who's out there right now.

The only obstacle would be the legal issues of owning such a business. Hiring Lawyers to defend yourself from intrusion and protecting yourself from the various con artists targeting such a business would be

costly and the only reason I would stay away.

The people that would come to tear your business down is the main obstacle. I'm sure a company (not ngc, icg, or anacs, more like that other one) would hire some Salty characters to come take care of you.

DanB
Coinasieur

Re: Dealers becoming Coin Graders

#2 Unread post by DanB »

Money isn't the issue. being reputable, knowledgeable and accepted within the coin community comes to mind.
Yes anyone can buy the equipment and start slabbing coins.
There are 2 top level TPG now and then 2 others. of the 4 each have their strengths and weaknesses.
The top two are the top two for a reason.
Do they get it right all the time? no but until there is something comes along (thinking of mint state and their venture into AI) that can provide grading consultancy and standards, its going to be a tough nut to crack to be accepted in the industry.
There's a reason the big auction houses and even museums use the top two TPG services.

RevlisAg
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by RevlisAg »

I would think grading coins could be done electronically soon. There's just too much fakes and human error.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

@RevlisAg
It was already done in 1990 by PCGS. They claimed it to be much more accurate than human grading. It did not last long. The reason given was people didn't trust computers, which made sense b/c few people had home computers.
Personally I also wonder if claiming their grades were accurate also did not kill off the lucrative part of their business (still running today) where people crack open a slab to get it regraded hoping for a higher grade (MUCH more money in some cases when sold.
You can read about the system as part of the essay I have linked to below about the No FG incompetence/errors of the grading companies. I also suggest an iPhone app. could likely be made using the iPhone's facial recognition tech (more than capable) to scan a coin.
The AI system Daniel is involved with may very well make this concept a reality since it is web based!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Also people trust computers now more than ever but we're still a way off.