Nickadate

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
coins_usa
Coin Collector

Nickadate

#1 Unread post by coins_usa »

If you nickadate a nickel, find out its rare, then submit it to a TPG, would it come back as a problem coin? (ex.) Cleaned, altered surf? I'm just wondering.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

Re: Nickadate

#2 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

possibly... but if a "rare" coin may still be worth the submission even with a details grade
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

The problem I'm not sure about is that this product is an acid and also temporary . Awaiting more responses . Thanks for posting .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

You don't want to send those in for grading.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey C, in the immortal words of the great philosopher and erudite Daniel Malone, and I quote, "don't clean circulated coins".

Here is why, the moment you mess with a circulated coin you alter the surface. Now if we are talking about a coin from 1909, you can imagine all of the "patina" that has built up over the years gives the coin a unique and individual appearance. The moment anything touches the surface, either device or field, there is no turning back. The chemical processes that formed this patina is very complex, and once you remove it from one spot on the coin, it is very clear what happened.

So when a grader sees it, they can tell right away what happened. If you look on ebay you can see a mountain of these coins, the 1916 Walker that is billed as a F - XF and has no "patina" on the fields or devices, or dark black buildup around the rim. Blast White circulated coins are impossible. I remember Daniel showing two coins in a video, one graded and the other cleaned/deets, they both looked cleaned to me, much of the fields were very clean, but there was heavy buildup around the edge of the coin, and around the devices, so sometimes you never know, but to take the chance just to try to upgrade the coin may be doing more harm than good.

As far as the product you mentioned, my understanding is that it "temporarily" enhances the look of the date. The clue as to how it does this is found in the warning blub.

One drop of Nic-A-Date will temporarily restore the date on one nickel
Repeating the process may be necessary to ensure this temporary restoration
This product will leave an etched mark on your coin

So it is no doubt some kind of acid wash, and the reason why the effect is only temporary is that once you "etch" the metal, it is more susceptible to "oxidation".

Obviously using acetone or lacquer thinner to get some "schmutz" off of a coin is different than using an acid, but not without pitfalls. These solvents will not attack or etch the metal, but if what you are using to clean the surface has any bit of dirt on it, you will scratch the coin. To avoid this, never ever wipe always dab, cotton guts are great for this, and use 3 or 4 per coin, don't be cheap. Also get your own, don't steal your wife's or daughters.

Now even if you use acetone, cotton guts, and only dab, there still can be pitfalls. One is that as you as you dab, and dip the cotton into the acetone you will see puddles of oil sitting on top of the acetone, and a bit of drab greenness on the cotton, this means you have a coin that has been treated with olive oil, and you are removing the "patina" of the semi-dried residue of the olive oil. Unfortunately, at this point you will reveal what the seller is trying to hide, I have been a victim of this, that is how I know so much about it. Usually you will find evidence of cleaning scratches. I have never tried to return a coin in this condition, but somehow I doubt they would take it back after I got the olive oil residue off of it.

The other pitfall is if you start dabbing a silver coin that has dark/black coloration, and residue comes off on the cotton as bright green, well you know what this is, the dreaded PVC. Sometimes the PVC will come off and leaves nothing behind, but sometimes it has corroded the coin, the reaction of the PVC and Silver causes a dark even black spotting that can look like the coin was in a Sulfur impregnated bag, but the difference is, a "bag" coin will not turn the cotton green when exposed to something like acetone (organic solvent). Again once you start down this road, there is no turning back, and the coin ends up in the "it is what it is" category.

So my opinion, leave it alone, always assume the next lower grade than what you think, and with this thinking you can have a better estimate of whether or not to get it graded.
Last edited by Coin Mule on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

Well said Mule :D
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Wisdom from the mule once again!
This product is simply nitric acid which is a metal eater.

Admittedly, its just my opinion, but if I cannot see the date on a buffalo nickel, its not worth much anyway. I had some rolls of them that were dateless from circulation finds years ago. So years ago I used the Nic-A-Date just to find out what the nickels were ...also knowing they were being damaged. I did find some rare dates/MM this way. But I don't see them as worth anything except hole fillers until I decide to pursue the series seriously.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?