Care to speculate?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
kcm
Coin Collector

Care to speculate?

#1 Unread post by kcm »

Should this coin’s guts present this way or is something hokey?

MY OWNALL-BUT-BASELESS SPECULATION: To fashion a love token, someone polished away the reverse of what s/he believed to be an 1873 Indian head cent. S/he etched his/her polished surface roughly. Turning it over, s/he began gouging out the innards of the piece. I observe that s/he gouged very meticulously in the vicinity of the date, possibly his/her lover’s date of birth. If we assume he’d set his sights on an eighteen-year-old female, this would fix the relic’s creation to somewhere during or after 1891.

I speculate that his discovery that the was a lamination of two metal vexed him, though not enough to frustrate him. The love piece’s core was, after all slated to be scraped out and discarded. I speculate that what DOGGONED the relic to its unfinished fate were the chips we see flaked off his too thin etched reverse. Does any other out there have a better idea? One thing I’d love to know is: does this gutted relic share any commonality with other 1873 Indians at its core?

Kevin
CHD00002.JPG
CHD00001.JPG
CHD00003.JPG
CHD00004.JPG
CHD00006.JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Care to speculate?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

K,
My gotcoins: here:
This is definitely a love token on the reverse, but it appears that, the obverse of the coin is covered in what looks like solder (using these pictures for an explanation) … As if it were pasted/attached to something for a presentation, and later, it appears as if someone was trying to remove the excess solder.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

kcm
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by kcm »

Fascinating, fun attempt, dear friend. However, your attempt fails miserably. Yours is a forgivable, yet impossible dismissal. Forgivable because two dimensional images suck in conveying critical data.

I await results of my last sending to you (still in transit according to USPS). I'm preparing my next. I'll now consider sticking this relic in that next. I'll get a better answer from you when I do that. I hope the community here might risk some answers.

I can predict that you will agree -- after seeing the relic --that their worst explanation (if any arrive) risess miles above that you advance. That's a reflection of the foibles in computer screen light, not of your expertise nor my admiration of same.

In the meanwhile, the impossibility I cite lies in the fact my final image shows a picked scab revealing a lower polished surface. Solder (soft lead and tin) could be involved if, and only if, a polished solder 1873 planchet was first plated with copper/bronze and then survived a coin press. Forgive my doubt, dear Paul, but thank you for the fun of this discussion and bear in mind I, not you, have held and seen the relic.

Kevin

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

K,
I took a long look at your pictures very closely, again.....
I have to stand by my 1st response,....... I look forward to having this in hand with your next shipment....
whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

You're thinking way too hard and like I said just ask a question, speculating when you don't know the minting process and needing your coins to be something special is just a road that leads to your frustration and anger.
The coin has been damaged post mint, this cannot happen at the mint and doesn't happen at the mint.

kcm
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by kcm »

Dear Moderator Daniel,

I’m new. Is this kind of abuse to be expected on your listserve? Will it be on-going from the moderator? I speculated that someone polished the reverse details of this coin out of existence and then rough-sketched an initial into the finished surface. I speculated that the person began carefully gouging out the obverse, stopping when his carefully worked reverse showed irreparable damage. I speculated that the operations probably took place at least eighteen years after the coin left the mint.

Still you admonish: “The coin has been damaged post mint, this cannot happen at the mint and doesn't happen at the mint.”

You further admonish: “speculating when you don't know the minting process and needing your coins to be something special is just a road that leads to your frustration and anger.”

My coins will never lead me to frustration and anger. A few more brazen admonishments may, however.

You’re hardly poised to weigh my knowledge of the minting process and history. Actually I know a great deal -- in consequence (Ironically) of following leads in your videos over the past three years. I gravitate to the coin hobby video and shun the coin business ones, so admonishment on that score might be in order.

On this topic, in addition to a few insults, I’ve thus far gleaned a little expert confirmation that it is indeed a love token – a common relic from that era, no longer a coin. I like knowing that. I intend to study its prior life as a coin. Damage reveals this to be a clad coin. I intend to one day learn: is it a nineteenth century mint test piece. Ought I to look for undamaged examples among my other Indians? Should I restrict my searches to specific dates? Will my scale offer clues? Or is it counterfeit, meaning I should spend time elsewhere in my collection. Paul is willing to afford that guidance without stopping to insult me. I sent him my nickel; I’ll send him this. He’ll set me straight in mannerly fashion.

Kevin