1972 D Nickel

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Andrew1963imp
Coin Collector

1972 D Nickel

#1 Unread post by Andrew1963imp »

Ok. I have to hear about what I am about to post up of a 1972 D Nickel since all the coins asked about are normal guessing this one's the same but love to hear n explain how this one is cuz yeah gonna be a Hoot to hear how this one's normal plz do explain this one thank you
Attachments
Screenshot_20200201-032042.png
Screenshot_20200201-030535.png
Screenshot_20200201-031648.png
Screenshot_20200201-030842.png
Screenshot_20200201-030648.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1972 D Nickel

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

1. We have decades of experience studying coins.
2. We have decades of study and learning the minting process of coins.
3. Over 10 years examining blurry images online of coins people think are something because they don't have 1 and 2 under their belt
4. We also have the same amount of time dealing with people who can't accept their coins are not special. (99% of coins are not)

To top that off I am a full time dealer and if I thought someone had some great find or valuable find I would be the first to tell them. It doesn't do me any good to be in business and tell people their coins are not worth anything. If it is then I say that. I am also honest, blunt and to the point. I've just done this so long that I see people waste precious time looking for every tiny thing on a coin then debate and argue with the person trying to help them.

This is what you need to be looking for, doubled dies, repunched mint marks, transitional planchets, wrong planchets, counter clash, double strike and dramatic errors. error-ref.com should be read completely through before looking at coins for errors or varieties. People need to be trained so the ego and attitude is left out of the equation. Emotions serve nothing but to muddle the hobby with senseless attitudes and frustration.

With that being said, if you want help with your coin, you ask me a question about it. Tell me what you think it different and that I need to look at. Your coin has experienced years of circulation and has marks all over it. I don't see anything that would indicate and error or variety.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I have only been doing this for 49 years now !
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Andrew1963imp
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by Andrew1963imp »

The date shows 7972 instead of 1972... Ur telling me that's 100% correct

Andrew1963imp
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Andrew1963imp »

The date shows 7972 instead of 1972... Ur telling me that's 100% correct I don't know honestly I have another coin u say is just from another coin hitting it but if u run ur finger over it u can tell there is something there . 1941 wheaty. Do I need to send em to you so u can see it in person cuz sorry understand u done this so long ... But a date of 7972 for a 1972 d nickel is not correct I'm sorry lol and this wheat Penny if u ran ur finger over it u feel it there's fillied I not like any missing there's more there

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It won't do you any good to send them off since you will disagree with whom you send them off to. I don't get it, you think impossible things can happen because you don't understand the minting process and the fact a coin get's beat up when circulated. Your nickel is beat up with marks all over it and metal is moved around when a coin is hit. When you gouge a coin, where to you think the metal goes? When you move snow or dirt where does it go? It piles up into a mound, same as a contact mark on a coin. It's been pushed somewhere beside the mark. So it will feel raised but you can't ignore the divot from the contact mark as you're doing.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a nickel to have 7972. It can't. Once you understand minting process then you know that and then you actually must try to figure out what caused it to LOOK like it, not think that it is 7972. You make the beginner mistake of thinking a coin is an error because it looks like that to you. You should first eliminate all it can't be and what is left is what it is. You do that based on studying the minting process before you look or post another coin.

It is counterproductive and too time consuming to debate and argue over it. Just put your energy in studying the website error-ref.com

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes
Attachments
GET THAT NICKEL.jpg
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Djaramillo2911
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by Djaramillo2911 »

I see how you may see a "7'' instead of a number one.
Or I can play tricks on us I do see something in front of the one that could make you think that you are looking at a 7 I know it's a number one

BKDPROLLC
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by BKDPROLLC »

The error in question appears to be the result of a minor die crack that just happens to be in front of the "7". It does, in fact, give the illusion, if you will, of the number "7" given its unique location and positioning. Nevertheless, quite a unique find. Keep searching and don't get discouraged! :cool:

BKDPROLLC
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by BKDPROLLC »

It's a minor die-crack near the rim and the serif under the number "1" appearing to take on the likeness of a number "7". Neat find though. I would suggest checking out cuds-on-coins.com or error-ref.com to see if it's listed, but it looks like a die-crack. Also seems like that particular die was at the end of its life-cycle, which is another indicator that the die was more prone to cracking. Don't get discouraged and keep searching! :cool: