Error coin?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Nevrcantel
Coining Around

Error coin?

#1 Unread post by Nevrcantel »

Hi everyone. Mike here...new to this site & “newish” coin collector. This site seemed the most legit & was hoping to get answers/opinions on what to do. I have a 1995P Jefferson nickel with what I believe has an image of an eagle in the background above Monticello. Took it to local coin shop & was told it was trash. Said it’s been buried in dirt for years & that’s why it’s discolored & says he sees no image on the coin. I think it’s color is due to a clad error & I can see the image without any magnification. He may be right but wanted to get another opinion before moving on. If it is legit, what is my next step? Attached a few images of the coin. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read & thanks in advance for any/all feedback.
Attachments
E3AFD272-3454-4A82-8F63-3D3D7D724E39.jpeg
22C62C5B-3C40-4245-A40A-787C297EA521.jpeg
065DA3B0-C900-4368-8BA9-8E70AB92731D.jpeg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Error coin?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

Pareidolia
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Welcome aboard .
I agree and believe this is a ED ( environmental damage )coin that looks like it spent time in the ground . Sorry.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Nevrcantel
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Nevrcantel »

I’m pretty green when it comes to error coins. I really appreciate your feedback. I am curious though... do you see the wings? I’m sure you are correct in your previous statement, it just seems so clear of an image to me. Starting to feel like I’m hallucinating 😂

Nevrcantel
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Nevrcantel »

Also, so sorry to vamp on your knowledge because again, I’m GREEN! What would it be called if there is an image and the background of a coin? Or is there even a name for that??

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Welcome 😊

Wen you understand the minting process, you will find there is no way any extra type of image can occur on a US coin direct from the mint. The multiple dies made to actually strike the coins are all made, themselves, from a master die. So every die will have the exact same thing on it. If there truly was an eagle on yours (impossible or the engraver of the die didn't care about his job anymore and was adding to the congressionally approved design!) then there would be an eagle on all of them from that same date/mint.

Agreed with its likely been in the ground (coloration), and pareidolia
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Nevrcantel
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Nevrcantel »

I would have thought nothing of it but I have seen a coin that had an image in the background. It was a foreign image struck on a US currency planchet. It seems to me and many others that it’s an obvious image but it gets dismissed because it’s not in the cherry pickers guide or not a common error. It’s not that important to me I just thought I would get an opinion from someone who knew more than I did… Either way, thanks again for your help!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

It's not a foreign coin struck on a nickel or anything like that, they do not look like this. Your coin has environmental damage and you're seeing the shapes from the toning and discoloring. Our forum is for helping people, so this is my advice to you, if you do not believe our advice then join PCGS or NGC and send your coin under the mint error tier at one of those companies.

Cherry picker's guide is for varieties not mint errors and people don't dismiss this coin because it's not listed, but because we know it is not what you think it is.

Posting coins in groups and forums, then debating people will never get you anywhere with coins.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Nevrcantel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 pm ... I have seen a coin that had an image in the background. It was a foreign image struck on a US currency planchet.
Sorry, a bit confusing. The word currency is used for paper money.

If a foreign country takes a US coin and, for some reason, strikes their own image onto it, then the coin still would technically be post mind damage since the coin was made at the US mint, left as a normal coin, and then was altered outside of the mint.
It seems to me and many others that it’s an obvious image but it gets dismissed because it’s not in the cherry pickers guide or not a common error.
The image may appear obvious in hand, but just like, and I am being totally legitimate here with absolutely NO sarcasm at all (I am a former teacher and do NOT put down people asking a question) the Man in the Moon appears obvious to most people, the image of a face on the moon we see is pareidolia. There is no real face there.

I can assure you that several of the people on here are much more experienced in coin knowledge than to have to rely on the Cherry Pickers' guide and other sources to identify different types of coins/questions brought to this forum. Those books are for reference for people unfamiliar with/learning what the minting process entails so they can identify actual coin errors vs. environmental or intentional altering after the coins leave the mint. As an example, several of the people here are experienced enough that when they see a doubled die coin, they don't need to check a reference book to see if one is listed for that year. Its obvious to them b/c they know the characteristics of a true doubled die.

Over the last 10 years I have seen a lot of posts by a lot of people asking something about an extra image/message/letters/numbers/mint marks on their coin that does not appear on a normal coin. Of those posts, there are some legitimate situations such as die clashes and dropped letters, but the vast majority of these posts end up being post mint damage or pareidolia.

If you really think you still have a rare error, then you can pay a company to slab it for you and ask them if they will label it as an error. What you will end up with is a coin in (what is called) a "body bag," and they will inform you the coin has been environmentally damaged. You will be out 30.00+ and have the same information you have now been told by people experienced enough to know.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Nevrcantel
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Nevrcantel »

Although it may have come across as me debating your opinion I honestly was not. I was just asking questions! As I mentioned, I don’t know very much about collecting & this was my entire purpose for asking the questions I did. I wasn’t disputing or dismissing any comments... just asking questions to help me get a clear understanding. I apologize for coming across the way I did & will not ask any more about that particular coin. Again, I appreciate all the help/feedback.