Greetings and Salutations

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TheCitrusGuy
Coining Around

Greetings and Salutations

#1 Unread post by TheCitrusGuy »

I just wanted to do as the topic said and introduce myself.
I tend to do a LOT of watching from the sidelines until I feel comfortable enough to engage, usually after immersing myself fully into the topic for days, weeks, whatever.

I guess my beginnings are pretty much like everybody else. I spent a little bit of my childhood helping my Grandfather with his Lincoln Head penny collection. It was more just the fun of spending time with him than anything else. Looking through the dates adding them into the books, etc. When he passed, I inherited the collection. I half-heartedly added new coins over the years, almost sold it once, but for the most part, it just sat on a desk in a spare room.

When the state quarter collection came out, I did that, got them all with a Philadelphia Mint mark. Again, it was half-hearted but felt accomplished that I found all of them in the wild.

I am not new to “collecting” by any stretch. I have collected Citrus and Camellia plants for years, still, do. That is a long story for another time.
About three months ago, I started looking at coins that were given back to me in change in a new way.
The State Park Quarters mostly caught my eye. I didn’t even know they were a thing.

Anyway, fast forward to today. I have the Lincoln Penny collection almost complete. There are lots of the earlier dates missing of course, but time will eventually fix that. I also have a really good start on a Jefferson Nickel Collection, a Roosevelt Dime Collection, and the aforementioned Parks Quarters. I am WAY behind on that one.

I have been scouring the mint and eBay for proof and mint sets. Ordered the 2019 mint set. It is GORGEOUS! Been messing around with some uncirculated coins and dabbling here and there. So, to make a long story short, I am by NO MEANS anywhere close to an expert. I love reading anything I can get my hands on, including the 2020 Red Book.
So please forgive any “stupid” questions that come from me, I am sure I have a hundred of them!

If you have read down this far, maybe you can help me?
I have a question about all of the partial mint/proof sets being sold on eBay.
I have bought several, the coins look great, they are still in original packaging and many come with the COA.
I understand, to some part, why they are cutting these things up. The coins that I am getting are MS-63/MS-65. Why are individual coins listed as worth more in the Red Book than the sets?

THAT is why I am buying them. Some of the individual coins are worth what or more than the seller is asking for.
Maybe I shouldn’t be telling you this and hoard in on it myself!? (Only Kidding)
Am I possibly missing something here?

ANNND Hello!
That’s my story and I am sticking to it!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Greetings and Salutations

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

Keep in mind, there are no "stupid" questions here.

I think Daniel could give you a better insight on the :ebay: issues.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum. More people want the single coins than the wholes set and coins tend to be worth more when sold single. Also Red book is not what coins are worth but is a suggested retail. Coins often go for much less than the Redbook and the Coin Dealer Newsletter is much more realistic.

TheCitrusGuy
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by TheCitrusGuy »

Thank You, Paul and Daniel.
NOW, I know what the Greysheet is.
I will sign up for what I can.
Thanks for the welcome!
I know there is no such thing as a "stupid" question, but trust me, I may come REAL close! LOL

TheCitrusGuy
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by TheCitrusGuy »

@Daniel
So buying the partial sets and keeping the coins as separate entities is not a bad way to go?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Not really bad idea but better to buy the entire set for less.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome.
And another reason they be cut out of a proof or uncirculated set is if they are a variety or high grade that some one sent off to get slabbed.
There are quite a few varieties in mint sets and proof sets.