Hello

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
AngelaLeino
Coining Around

Hello

#1 Unread post by AngelaLeino »

Hello all. I'm an amateur coin collector. Guess you could say it gives my busy and curious mind exactly what it needs! I like finding rare things. In the summer, I collect lake Superior Agates. Now that it's winter, I'm back to coinage again. Good luck all!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum! You can share or ask questions, looking forward to your posts.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

david.burland
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by david.burland »

Need help. I have a US quarter that fell apart in my pocket. The 2 halves came apart leaving the rim edge on 1 side with a perfect center circle (face) roughly the size of an old Brit 1/2 penny. The other half looks like a doughnut . It's obviously some kind of mint error.
I've had this coin for a long time and kept it as a curiosity. I recently showed it to a friend who collects coins and he told me it was a very rare strike error and might be worth something. It's a 19 something ( 90's?) and in great condition. I might even be the original owner of this coin.
I'm hesitant about bringing it to a coin dealer knowing he would most likely undervalue the coin in hopes of making a greater profit for himself. How or where could I receive an accurate evaluation of this coin?

My thanks
David

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

hugeeyes ... pics plz ... hugeeyes
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Welcome David.
Yes indeedy, we'd like to see some pics.
Don't tease us with an enticing error and leave us hanging. whistling2:

david.burland
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by david.burland »

Hi everyone, sorry I didn't get back 2 u all but ???, It's da holidays right?! Yes, I will post pics. Hopefully 2nite. I look 4ward 2 seeing what u all think.

david.burland
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by david.burland »

Aw DAMMIT! i JUST LOST ALL. 1 SEC PLZ.
Attachments
744.jpg
748.jpg
749.jpg
753.jpg

david.burland
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by david.burland »

There! I do appreciate your input but I'm an old SOB & ur site has been driving me up a wall! lol. Like I said it was a new quarter when I got it but I never really took care of it other than taping it 2gether so I wouldn't lose it.

david.burland
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by david.burland »

I did remember where & when I got it BTW. From the disbursing office on my ship when we were in the Persian Gulf in 91! I remember cuz the DKC and a couple of other guys on my ship wanted 2 buy it from me. Even offered me like $20 4 it! I thought they were insane but $ was NP (combat pay, at sea pay, yeah baby!) & I wanted 2 keep it as a curiosity. I've had it ever since. Anyone ex-mil knows we all collect monopoly $ from da world. It gets under ur skin.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

This is a trick coin and not a mint error; no where during the minting process can something like this happen. I have a three cent nickel from 1965 that fits inside another coin and has the same mill lines.

It is a neat coin though.

david.burland
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by david.burland »

What kind of 'trick' would this coin b good for? Besides when I got it on ship from the DK's it was most likely in a roll of quarters direct from mint-base-ship (I'm fairly sure the navy doesn't use BofA or Wells Fargo) If memory serves, the ships in my ARG would fill da 6 mth payroll vault b4 WestPac with most on da LHA Tarawa. Kinda hard 2 believe it's a trick coin.

david.burland
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by david.burland »

What it looks like is some kind of round punch used on the eagle side breaking the face side out except there's no evidence of damage on the eagle. tell me, r US coins solid thru? Cuz if u look edge on at da broken face, it looks kinda like this.

david.burland
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by david.burland »

Untitled.png

david.burland
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by david.burland »

Like there's a tiny sideways y just inside the rim.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by mhonzell »

It was designed for a magic trick where one passes a cigarette through the coin.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#17 Unread post by Paul »

mmmmmmmm, this is intriguing, i have not seen this before,.......

so, if you 'measure' the "front side piece", the part that 'fell out' of the reverse shell,..... what do you get as the "diameter" ?
(it looks machined down to me,.....any 'reeding' on that piece too ?)

:eureka:
this reminds me of the 'magic trick' penny to dime, & so on......
but i do not hugeeyes this as a 'MINT ERROR' here,.......
D, wat u tink ?

:confused:
pencil through coin trick ??
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Daniel »

Yep, cigarette or pencil through trick coin.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONzqus6cGs[/BBvideo]

david.burland
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by david.burland »

OIC. Yeah, it's possible. The hole might fit a cig but then how did it get on my ship?! This coin has a story to it but chances r I'll never know. It's still a cool coin but you have dashed my hopes of finding that 1 in a million coin! lol.

david.burland
Coining Around

need some help/advice

#20 Unread post by david.burland »

I live in Southern Cali and last summer I kicked up a coin on the beach. It is encrusted with sand but you can still read the coin strangely enough. It is a 1712 Spanish Real ( I think they're called piece of eight?). Anyway, I'm kinda stuck on what to do with it. Like should I have it cleaned? (professionally of course) Where would I get that done safely or is it better to leave it in it's present condition? I thought about taking it to a coin shop but I figure they'll just try to take me for a ride. I'm ignorant not stupid!
So I've been on this site before and have gotten good advice so far. Wadduya think :-) ?
BTW, I collect foreign money (I was Navy, It's an occupational hazard!) and I have a few coins that are fairly old but most of what I see is old American coins. Where might I find out how much if anything these coins are worth?
Thanks to all.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#21 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Do you have any Pics ? In my opinion , I would have it " conserved" only if it is worth the Money . I wouldn't mess round with it my self . I also would go back to that spot with a Metal Detector . Let us know your decision. Ok?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by Daniel »

Please start a new topic with your coin questions and include images. Thanks