Hello

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Cosic
Coining Around

Hello

#1 Unread post by Cosic »

Hello to everyone
I am Husein Cosic, 38 years Old .
I live inSarajevo Bosnia
I work in tourism agency , I invite u to visit Bosnia and discover unbelievable nature and cultural diversity.
But now I need Uor help and your knowledge.

Before few years I got 5 us coins in epoxy resign:
-dima 1968 no mint
-1cent no mint
-1 half dollar with mint on nose
-Jefferson nickel 1964
-quarter 1966 no mint

I am not collector, I don’t know what to do!
First respectable variety office is in Austria.
I am not sure what I have! I read a lot of about it but I still i am not sure in value of them.
Pls help me
Attachments
Us coins
Us coins
Us coin dima 1968
Us coin dima 1968
Us half dollar 1968 mint on the nose of Kennedy
Us half dollar 1968 mint on the nose of Kennedy

Cosic
Coining Around

Re: Hello

#2 Unread post by Cosic »

There’s more pictures
Attachments
1 cent 1968 no mint
1 cent 1968 no mint
Us dima 1968 no mint
Us dima 1968 no mint
Us dima 1968 no mint
Us dima 1968 no mint

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello from the U.S, My name is Sal. What you have is a novelty item that I saw online recently . Their all over with different coins in the cube . Yours looks like a mint set somehow glued inside . They( cube wit coins ) average around $12-25 U.S dollars depending on the Coin denominations inside . Heck,keep it own your desk thinking of coming to America someday . LOL .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey C. My opinion, the Kennedy has post mint damage on the nose, not a mint mark. These Resin cubes were made as kind of a time capsule of a specific year. Folks gave them as gifts for graduations, anniversaries etc. They don't usually hold much more than sentimental value, sometimes they used proof coins coins like yours, really shiny, a 68 proof set in the original package is worth about 8-10 usd retail. So basically, keep it as a curiosity, it's cool. Now if you really want to look for some stuff, see if you can find some medieval Serbian coins, or some Serbian currency from like 1914 etc. Now that will make you some bucks, but be careful, there are a lot of fakes in the ancient market.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Welcome to the forum!

As has been said - a novelty item. I always liked these. :)

...and since its a 1968-D half dollar, it cannot be a proof. The proof was a 1968-S. But it shines like on inside that cube. Maybe they polished it before it was encased?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Cosic
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Cosic »

Thank u on Uor openion! I get some satisfaction.

Cosic
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Cosic »

More pictures
Attachments
Half dollar 1968 mint on the nose

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree, novelty item worth around $15 USD

Cosic
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by Cosic »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:05 pm Hey C. My opinion, the Kennedy has post mint damage on the nose, not a mint mark. These Resin cubes were made as kind of a time capsule of a specific year. Folks gave them as gifts for graduations, anniversaries etc. They don't usually hold much more than sentimental value, sometimes they used proof coins coins like yours, really shiny, a 68 proof set in the original package is worth about 8-10 usd retail. So basically, keep it as a curiosity, it's cool. Now if you really want to look for some stuff, see if you can find some medieval Serbian coins, or some Serbian currency from like 1914 etc. Now that will make you some bucks, but be careful, there are a lot of fakes in the ancient market.
If is this dima from prof Set coins! Then there is dima 1968 no S mint mark, What is extremlly rare! Last year one coin is sell around 50k $... ??? How can I know is that dima minted in San Francisco or in Philadelphia? Without measuring weight?

Sarajevo; Bosnia and Serbia are different countries! Btw we don’t like each other 🤣😉

Cosic
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Cosic »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 pm I agree, novelty item worth around $15 USD
researching these coins, I reviewed thousands of “kennedy” coins! I haven't seen him have a mark on his nose anywhere !? I think it should have been on the other side, an eagle under its wing.

Cosic
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Cosic »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:00 pm Hello from the U.S, My name is Sal. What you have is a novelty item that I saw online recently . Their all over with different coins in the cube . Yours looks like a mint set somehow glued inside . They( cube wit coins ) average around $12-25 U.S dollars depending on the Coin denominations inside . Heck,keep it own your desk thinking of coming to America someday . LOL .
Is this proof coins or MS?
Are those 2 1964 and 1966 from spec mint set?
Do you read about rare dimes? Spec this one from 1968 no S? Last year one is sell on auction for 48000$!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Cosic, the only way to know is to get them out of the cube, and look them over. YouTube has some DIY on how to do this. As far as the Serbian Currency and Coin, I figured you could find some decent stuff that would be profitable a whole lot easier than I could here.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Cosic
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by Cosic »

Coin Mule wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:15 pm Hey Cosic, the only way to know is to get them out of the cube, and look them over. YouTube has some DIY on how to do this. As far as the Serbian Currency and Coin, I figured you could find some decent stuff that would be profitable a whole lot easier than I could here.
thank you for the advice! I hope that the coin (us dima 1968) will weigh 2.5 g! Can I turn to you then, to help me sell? aware of your obligations and costs, and knowledge in order to realize the sale !!! it is clear to me that I have to pay for that service! I am ready to offer you a percentage of the sale of coins! max up to 20%. Thank you very much! when we talk about Serbian coins you have to know! serbia gained independence from the turkish empire in 1878 and from then until the creation of the kingdom of yugoslavia (1918) serbia had its own money! and it is very rare in the market! But the money used in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia and in communist Yugoslavia (after World War II) can be easily obtained for you! we can even easily agree! you only pay the shipping costs and I will get the coins for you in vain. Coins from 1945-1992 that were used in Yugoslavia are everywhere, due to hyperinflation !!! I think I can buy a kilo of coins for $ 5!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

In my opinion, what you are seeing on that half dollar may just be form the resin it is encased in. The coins within are common and will not bring much. In fact you probably can sell the block as it is on eBay for more as a novelty item. As I said, these would need to have an @ mint mark on them to be proof coins. Since they have a mirror finish, and are not proof coins, they must have been polished - which makes them damaged.
Do you read about rare dimes? Spec this one from 1968 no S? Last year one is sell on auction for 48000$!
More background on this would be needed such as the source of this information. Look up SOLD auctions at ebay.com and, for rare coins, heritage auctions at www.HA.com.
Again, the fact the other coins in your block have no S on them shows the coin set in this block is not made of proof coins. Therefore the dime is not a rare No-S variety.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

You're mistaken here. These coins are encased, damaged and not graded, only coins in PCGS and NGC with a very, very high grade sell for a lot of money. Your coins are not worth that and will never be. Sorry but you need to be looking at price guides and such and paying attention to the fact these rare and valuable coins are graded very high.

Cosic
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by Cosic »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:12 pm In my opinion, what you are seeing on that half dollar may just be form the resin it is encased in. The coins within are common and will not bring much. In fact you probably can sell the block as it is on eBay for more as a novelty item. As I said, these would need to have an @ mint mark on them to be proof coins. Since they have a mirror finish, and are not proof coins, they must have been polished - which makes them damaged.
More background on this would be needed such as the source of this information. Look up SOLD auctions at ebay.com and, for rare coins, heritage auctions at www.HA.com.
Again, the fact the other coins in your block have no S on them shows the coin set in this block is not made of proof coins. Therefore the dime is not a rare No-S variety.
From this 5 coins, only 1/2 dollar has mint mark D! while the other 4 are unmarked! Your opinion that the coins are polished seems absurd for me, because I don't see any economic sense in this activity plus the cost of putting it in epoxy resin, considering that they sell them for $ 10-15! maybe I'm wrong though! thank you for your opinion

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

You haven't been around coins much if you think people don't or wouldn't polish these coins. The half dollar has a D, not a proof but polished, the other coins should have S mint marks if they were proofs, they don't so they're polished and not proofs.

Shinier coins sell for more. It seems you can't let these coins go, they're not valuable missing mint mark proofs.

Cosic
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by Cosic »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am You're mistaken here. These coins are encased, damaged and not graded, only coins in PCGS and NGC with a very, very high grade sell for a lot of money. Your coins are not worth that and will never be. Sorry but you need to be looking at price guides and such and paying attention to the fact these rare and valuable coins are graded very high.
thank you for your opinion!
Pls tell me: why do you think the coins were destroyed? If the coins can be "easily" removed without damage! And how I could see during the grading process, to permanently protect them. I find that I do not ask illogical questions?

Cosic
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by Cosic »

I will upload more pic with better details, u will see DDO, improperly plated in reverse of Coin!
I hope so u will see this details
Attachments
Us dima 1968 no mint mark

Cosic
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by Cosic »

Here is one of rare pic of us dima 1968 no S, with spec doubling, which one I can see also on my coin
Attachments
Us dima 1968
Us dima 1968
Us dima 1968
Us dima 1968
Us dima 1968
Us dima 1968

Cosic
Coining Around

#21 Unread post by Cosic »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:10 am You haven't been around coins much if you think people don't or wouldn't polish these coins. The half dollar has a D, not a proof but polished, the other coins should have S mint marks if they were proofs, they don't so they're polished and not proofs.

Shinier coins sell for more. It seems you can't let these coins go, they're not valuable missing mint mark proofs.
Also, pls one question why you think that all coins should be S mint mark? Thay are not even same date.
3 coins are 1968
1 coin 1964
1 coin 1966

During these corona days I have time to research us history of mint ! From 1968 all coins should hVe mint mark on itself, accept Philadelphia ( sometimes thay put mint mark P, but coin it’s also regular without mark)

On the starts thay put mint mark separately in the next step!!! That is only way to exist differences between RPM and doubling! On this prices exist up said down S MINT on half Kennedy dollar!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by Earle42 »

Also, pls one question why you think that all coins should be S mint mark?
1. The only coins made by the US mint with a mirror finish are proof coins.
2. All proof coins during the time period of the coins in your block were made at the San Francisco mint and therefore have an S on them (unless a rare error occurred).
3. All your coins, not having an S, therefore have a polished mirror finish making them look like proof coins.

Logic seems to dictate here that since this bock was made to sell as a an eye catching paper weight full of shiny coins, since all the rest of the coins in the block resemble proof coins from being polished, since items like this were made on a large scale where batches of coins were all treated/cleaned/polished the same way before being encased in the block, even if this was a rare No-S proof, it would have been polished with the rest of the gripe of the coins, and therefore damaged.

Now I suppose someone back then might have wanted to have a block where al the coins in it were polished to a mirror finish except for the dime...for their own odd reasons. So its not totally impossible (nor likely either) they walked into the factory and the supervisor there was kind enough to let that person take a proof dime into the area where the polished coins were all exiting the polishing equipment to be positioned into the initial layer of resin that was being poured. The person was then allowed to position their proof dime where they wanted it, and the final resin pour was made.

After they were done they had a resin paper weight of coins that...looked like all of the other ones with polished coins in them.

I guess stranger things have been done...just look to D.C.
From 1968 all coins should hVe mint mark on itself, accept Philadelphia
This is true for coins made for circulation - not proof coins - of which all were made at the S mint.
On the starts they put mint mark separately in the next step!!!
Hard to understand this, but I think you are saying they put the mint mark on after they made the coin. This is not so. They DID hand punch the mint mark into the dies before the dies were used. THEN they made coins with the dies.
That is only way to exist differences between RPM and doubling! On this prices exist up said down S MINT on half Kennedy dollar!
Again, the mint mark was punched into the dies making the coins, not into the coins themselves. Please research the minting process so you can see all this info, and more, for yourself.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by Daniel »

You're not going to listen, you're convinced these coins are rare, no mint mark proofs but they're NOT. So I am finished, this topic is solved. Thanks for everyone's input!