1909 s penny with distorted "E"

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
cathryn57
Coining Around

1909 s penny with distorted "E"

#1 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Hi! I'm back with a new question. I ccame across a 1909 S Penny and it looking at it thru a glass noticed that the "E" in E PLURIBUS UNUM is not like the E's on other 1909 pennies. It is rather mal-formed at the top of the E, with the first leg of the E being very short and somewhat combined with second leg of the E. The third leg of the E looks perfectly normal as in the other E's on the rest of the 1909's I compared it to. I tried to take pics of the E itself....but they came out as a giant blur.....:(

I also attached three other 1909 pennies that are all VDB. They look like new pennies in that they are all shiny and crisp looking. Does that increase the value of them much?

Thank you.

Cathy
Attachments
1909 s 1.jpg
1909 s 2.jpg
1909 vdb of 3.jpg
1909 vdb.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1909 s penny with distorted "E"

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not sure what E you're referring. It it in the States, United, America? Those 1909 VDB's look uncirculated or close to it, and in MS60 they start at $20 and up. So it does make a difference and they should be handled with cotton gloves and housed in a mylar flip or a cardboard 2X2 that has the dust cleared out.

Copper is so reactive that these coins can turn if not handled properly. Not trying to panic you, but they do look nice.

cathryn57
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by cathryn57 »

OMGoodness....I've just got them hanging out with other pennies on a table! What will surfice as protection until I get proper holder? The "E" I'm referring to is on the back of the penny where it has E PLURIBUS UNUM. Thank you!

cathy

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

They will be fine on the table as long as something doesn't get spilled on them, but most cents that are going to tone has already toned. But I would get them in something just because of their grade alone, sorry to panic you, not my intention.

I can't see the E in this image, but be glad to help with a better image.

clyde
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by clyde »

Daniel wrote:They will be fine on the table as long as something doesn't get spilled on them, but most cents that are going to tone has already toned. But I would get them in something just because of their grade alone, sorry to panic you, not my intention.

I can't see the E in this image, but be glad to help with a better image.
D. loves to panic us once in awhile, but I agree protected is the best way to go. :w

cathryn57
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by cathryn57 »

PHEW.....made my heart go pitter pat! LOL I am attaching more pics of the 1909 S penny that has the odd "E".....I'm taking them with my phone, so I hope you will be able to see it clearly. Thanks again!
cathy
Attachments
1909 s E  1.jpg
1909 s E 2.jpg
1909 s E 3.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I am not 100% but it looks like a bit of a weak strike, or greese filled die. This would cause the E or even other parts of the coin to be missing or some part of it "missing" Unfortunetly it doesn't add any additional value.

clyde
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by clyde »

Daniel wrote:I am not 100% but it looks like a bit of a weak strike, or greese filled die. This would cause the E or even other parts of the coin to be missing or some part of it "missing" Unfortunetly it doesn't add any additional value.
I was thinking Greese filling. :w

cathryn57
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by cathryn57 »

Aha! That answers that one! Thank you so much for looking. Where is the best place to go to sell these 1909's?

clyde
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by clyde »

Hi Cat, keep getting tossed this evening hope this one gets to you okay. I would leave a message for Maineman as to where to sell your coppers. Remember not all "copper coins" are worth more than melt value. I have a 2.5 gal water jug full of coppers, but am not willing to sell just yet. Maineman could tell you better about selling them. Take care, God Bless. :w

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

cathryn57 wrote:Aha! That answers that one! Thank you so much for looking. Where is the best place to go to sell these 1909's?
You would get the most at ebay, but they won't sell for book value I quoted. If you look at completed ebay listings it will give you and idea of what you might sell them for. Your welcome.