2 1964 half dollars grading question?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ace1153
Coin Collector

2 1964 half dollars grading question?

#1 Unread post by ace1153 »

hey All. I have 2 very nice 1964 half dollars. i am pretty sure they are a cameo finish. i compared them with other half dollars and the cameo coins i have and they do look like they are. it's hard to tell in the photos i have taken. I'm also pretty sure they are in ms grade but i really don't know. Would you send these off to be graded. They wouldn't be an ms 70 but could be an ms 67 and above. I think but i am not a professional. i tried to take good pictures but i keep getting a huge glare from light. thanks you very any opinions.
Attachments
SingleShot0206.jpg
SingleShot0207.jpg
SingleShot0206.jpg
SingleShot0208.jpg
SingleShot0209.jpg
SingleShot0210.jpg
SingleShot0211.jpg
SingleShot0212.jpg
SingleShot0213.jpg
SingleShot0214.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2 1964 half dollars grading question?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

This is a cameo finish, your coin isn't even close, it's a business strike and not a proof. Only proofs are designated cameo. I recommend looking up the value of these using a price guide to determine if they're worth sending off for grading.
Attachments
cameo.jpg
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Grim_Streaker
Rating: 3.03%

ace1153
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by ace1153 »

Really? What the heck am I doing wrong. I'm watching videos. I'm taking in all kinds if info. Well. What the difference if any I guess., between come and deep cameo. I'm so frustrated i am ready to quit collecting.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Cameo and Deep Cameo coins come in proof sets. I would stop watching videos and look up cameo and deep cameo coin images at PCGS and Heritage Coin Auctions.

ace1153
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by ace1153 »

Alright, i will take your advice and do some more reading and trying to understand. thank you
These users thanked the author ace1153 for the post:
Daniel
Rating: 3.03%

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

PCGS is a good source for values on cameo and deep cameo proofs, that is where you would want to send if you had any.

ace1153
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by ace1153 »

Alright. i really appreciate the help. i am going to go to PCGS website and start from scratch . I enjoy collecting but man, there are so many different coins and varieties not including errors it's unreal.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Just enjoy the coins, let the rest be bonuses.

ace1153
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by ace1153 »

yeah, your right. thanks

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

ace1153 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 pm ...I'm also pretty sure they are in ms grade but i really don't know. Would you send these off to be graded. They wouldn't be an ms 70 but could be an ms 67 and above
I think you would really benefit from the following info. Taking the time to read it will help you make educated decisions about slabbing.

Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or You Could Lose Money.

1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience who know what they are doing, are going to be able to use in order to make huge personal profits. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back form the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a widespread mistaken perception people get from being exposed to all the slabs being sold nowadays.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly, but in reality its normally two) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
Grading the Coin Graders

Here is another good read from someone there at the start of the grading companies:
Hobby negative impacts from slabbing companies

3. People also seem to think grading companies will examine a coin to see if they can find an error and then slab it as such. But again, they only ONLY GRADE coins. The companies will NOT try to find ID an error for you. You must first ID the error yourself, check to see if the company you want to use recognizes that specific error, PAY them to verify the error on the label, and then you may or may not actually get what you pay for! The companies have a bad reputation for attributing errors correctly.

Link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature as an eye opening example.

The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!" 😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

ace1153
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by ace1153 »

thank you earl. I appreciate any help I can get. I have some really nice looking coins, well, what I think are nice, but I don't know what the grade would be. I have been watching a lot of grading videos just to try and get how the grading is done. I have a roll of red 1964 pennies. they haven't been open until now. I picked out the best ones that I think would be in the mint state. again, im not sure but I'm trying to test myself to see how well I do or how close my grading is to the professionals.

ace1153
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by ace1153 »

I have question. When grading a coin, do the graders take the date of the coin into consideration. what I mean is, I was watching a coin grading show and they had an old coin that was in o.k shape and then they had a newer coin. to me, the newer coin was way better in shape than the older coin but the older coin had a higher grade. That confused me a little of course. I wish I could remember the video. I don't understand why they graded the older coin with a higher grade than the newer one. I don't think they would take the year in consideration .

CoinPyro
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by CoinPyro »

ace1153 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:42 pm I have question. When grading a coin, do the graders take the date of the coin into consideration. what I mean is, I was watching a coin grading show and they had an old coin that was in o.k shape and then they had a newer coin. to me, the newer coin was way better in shape than the older coin but the older coin had a higher grade. That confused me a little of course. I wish I could remember the video. I don't understand why they graded the older coin with a higher grade than the newer one. I don't think they would take the year in consideration .
In terms of MS (mint state) designation... for some coins, yes. For instance, older Morgan Dollars are especially notorious for getting MS grades despite having a few contact marks or other (albeit minor to very minor) forms of PMD. You have to consider the situation of numismatics, or lack thereof, at the time of a coin's inception. Were proof sets a thing for this coin and year? Were people able to actually save coins from their change or income to have a collection (this is especially true from 1929-1942 with the Great Depression)? How did the Mint itself treat the coins when they were preparing to send them out? Were they just shoved in a bag and jostled around, or were they rolled?

For the early Morgan Dollars in particular, the answers to these questions are generally very bad news if you want a coin in perfect, A-grade, MS65 or higher condition. A coin's situation, especially in its early years, can determine how "lenient" the grading is on that coin. I won't say it always will, but if you look at some of the inconsistency with PCGS's Morgan Dollar grades, it definitely happens.

Let's take an 1898-O Morgan. This coin would have left the Mint in a bag with potentially hundreds of other Morgan Dollars just like it. These coins would jostle around, scraping against one another, banging into eachother, etc. which will give them contact marks like chips and scratches before they even enter circulation! THEN, they actually enter circulation. They get shoved into slot machines, thrown into and back out of tills, dropped on the street, potentially run over by horses and/or cars and/or trolleys, buried, dropped in water, ... there's infinitely many different, often horrible, things that can happen to a coin once it leaves the Mint. Morgan Dollars from the inter-war period were especially vulnerable given the economic instability of much of that time. People just did not tend to keep coins aside for collecting purposes, not for apathetic reasons, but for survival.
I hope this helps! If I said something wrong, please correct me. 🙂

ace1153
Coin Collector

#14 Unread post by ace1153 »

wow. thanks for the informational reading material. some if wants me to grade coins, most of it doesn't want me to grade coins ,lol, but then all of it wants me to learn how to grade coins and maybe one day become a great coin grader. I would love to take a course. I'm not sure where you would go. I have been watching the pcgs coin grading 101 online. they have 3 videos that I know of. I watched all three a few times. any more info you have would be appreciated . thank you very much

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Earle42 »

I cannot emphasize enough the facts I posted before. It takes a lot of time and experience with coins and before you can use a grading company and come out ahead of the game like you would like to.

I hope you read the PDF in my signature last time. It gives a healthy reality check on the actual expertise of these companies as compared to what the masses desire them to be (and so make them out to be).

The companies are NOT evil. They are businesses with the main goal of making profit. With no science behind it, they are not accountable (their alleged guarantee also is worded very cleverly to not add up to much at all), and do well for themselves often at the expense of the newbie.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

ace1153
Coin Collector

#16 Unread post by ace1153 »

I really appreciate the information. I always read everything that people send me. If it wasn't for people like you guys, nobody would ever learn a thing. So again, i would like to thank you guys on behalf of all the newbies because without you guys, we would be lost, especially me.I can't always go online as much as i would like to and i don't want to disturb you guys with questions after questons of the same questions every other newbie had. I understand that must be annoying. I took some advice from Daniel which i appreciate and i wont forget which made my collecting more enjoyable.
These users thanked the author ace1153 for the post (total 2):
Daniel, CoinPyro
Rating: 6.06%

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#17 Unread post by Paul »

Keep in mind that there is a "Search" box in the upper right-hand corner.....

You may need to try several different "Keywords" to hunt down the answer you are looking for, as there have been thousands of questions asked/answered on this forum… And you may just find yours.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

ace1153
Coin Collector

#18 Unread post by ace1153 »

YEAH. on those 1964 half dollars. there is one specifically thats just looks weird . it looks like someone painted it and you can see brush strokes. The other 64 doesn't have that. I'll keep looking. thanks