1971 Kennedy Half Dollar with something in hair line between B and E in LIBERTY

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ski
Coining Around

1971 Kennedy Half Dollar with something in hair line between B and E in LIBERTY

#1 Unread post by ski »

Unable to determine what this is, tried looking on line nothing, also sent pictures to coneca they cant determine either
Attachments
S20210926_0005.jpg
S20210926_0006.jpg
S20210926_0007 - Copy.jpg
S20211002_0003.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar with something in hair line between B and E in LIBERTY

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

I need better images
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

Re: 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar with something in hair line between B and E in LIBERTY

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

Please be advised that the RULE for posting coins is ONE coin per-topic. DO NOT post a coin to be compared to, as those who are giving you their opinion know what the coin should or should not look like.

When posting photos of a coin you would like someone to look at, you NEED to post a Cropped photo of both the the full Obverse and Reverse. Try to take these photos as clear and close as possible. Next take some photos of the area in question, again as close and clear as possible. It would also help if you could find some way to point to the area in question or give a detailed explanation of what you want to be looked at. DO NOT just say "What Error is this?", "What do you think about this coin and what is the value?" or "What can you tell me about this coin?". We would happily provide you with sites you can research coin errors and varieties.

If you need a photo editing program, there are three free ones that come to mind. They are PhotoScape, Inkscape and Gimp. Of the three PhotoScape is the easiest to use. I use PhotoScape and it will do everything required to post photos on the board. Daniel explains quite well in the following two topics, POSTING PHOTOS plus his video on this same topic Daniels posting Coins Video on posting coins
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

ski
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by ski »

Paul wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:39 am Welcome

I need better images
I have only been coin hunting and collecting since 2019 when i retired. Here are some more images, this is the best i can get from my Plugable microscope. Also don`t know how to point arrow to area it is under hair line top of head.
Attachments
S20211011_0008.jpg
S20211011_0001.jpg
S20211011_0002.jpg
S20211011_0003.jpg
S20211011_0004.jpg
S20211011_0005.jpg
S20211011_0006.jpg
S20211011_0007.jpg

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

I see what you're looking at....

You're just way, way too close with your microscope....
...... and you are not using the proper illumination for this anomaly
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

ski
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by ski »

Paul here are a few more photos with less light and not so close, this is the best i can do being new a this i have a lot to learn, Thank You for your help.
Attachments
S20211011_0011.jpg
S20211011_0012.jpg
S20211011_0013.jpg
S20211011_0014.jpg

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

May I ask what brand/model of microscope you are using to image this coin?
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

The reeding from the edge of another coin made contact here and then it wore down a bit during circulation.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Also don`t know how to point arrow to area it is under hair line top of head.
You can use a free program called Monosnap (Mac or Windows).

Use a search engine to find it.

Its pretty intuitive.

Here is a screenshot I used to make a graphic for you of how its used:

For example - make an arrow:
Click on the arrow in the selections at the bottom.
Click on the picture where you want the error to start , drag where you want it to go and let go of the mouse.

Work with circles etc. this way.

Text
Click Aa to ad text.
Click where you want to put the text and type (backspace etc. work)

To edit text, click on text - a dotted box surrounds it - click again where you want the cursor and type/correct.

You must click anywhere off of the text when done typing before you can move the text - otherwise the program thinks you are still trying to edit.
Monosnap - click to enlarge
Monosnap - click to enlarge
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

ski
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by ski »

Paul i have a Plugable microscope usb 2.0 digital

ski
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by ski »

Daniel, the area in question looks like it is behind the head the hair is not worn down. If another coin made contact here wouldn`t the hair also be worn down or damaged. So this area in question being behind the head did it happen at the mint.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

It looks like it's behind the head because of the high points of the metal, that was moved during impact, is worn down from circulation. Similar to a comb over.
I do not believe it happened at the mint, I see lines in these marks like "slide" lines.