daniel carr overstrike peace dollar

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
silverbul

daniel carr overstrike peace dollar

#1 Unread post by silverbul »

picked up this daniel carr 1918 peace dollar overstrike on a real 1922 peace dollar. is this still a real peace dollar and is this post mint mint damage? things that make you go wtfigo. lol just a share. maybe the kid will make some money on it a hundred years from now when i die. bought it just because i just liked the coin, that simple.
Attachments
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7777.JPG
IMG_7778.JPG
IMG_7780.JPG
IMG_7781.JPG
IMG_7782.JPG
IMG_7783.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: daniel carr overstrike peace dollar

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

It's a private over-strike and Carr is not the first to do this either. Also I love his creations.

silverbul

#3 Unread post by silverbul »

carr's work is usually better than this, i hope this will be worth more than the normal carr work but time will tell. as all coins i have, i'm in it for the long haul. at least it will be worth the silver content.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

What your pictures show is underlying remnants form the original coin's detail. This is what Mr. Carr himself says.

And also...there is a large following of these - look on eBay. Most of the time it is very difficult to get any of the back issues and they command a high price b/c people do not like to let them go. It took me several year to get my 1963-D Kennedy Half before someone finally put one up for sale. So they tend to go up in price as time goes on. If someone gets to see one in hand, the quality normally is just too good to pass up.

Another note is Daniel (Carr) told me when first making a coin type, there will be settings on his press he needs to tune in just right. This is why he says there might be underlying elements seen. An example is some of the Kennedy's I have his will not fit into an Air Tite capsule made for halves. They are just ever so slightly larger, and he said it was from initial problems with dialing in the right pressure on his press.

Also note yours is the (original) Broken Sword design that was rejected by the mint. Mr. Carr made the design from the original bronze casting of the original plaster mold by the designer. The casting showed up on eBay with neither Mr. Carr or the buyer actually knowing what it was until Mr, Carr did the research!

The coin also is in higher detail than original Peace Dollars like first intended.

This is a gem of a piece!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

silverbul

#5 Unread post by silverbul »

in 1971, when i was 10, my father died in a car crash. he was a ww2 veteran with a lot of issues. a couple years later my mother gave me a cigar box and said that was from my dad. a coin bonanza for me, 21 peace dollars and all sorts of goodies as i remember. being a dumb kid, spent all the coins as money. years later in 1994 when i got married, had a kid, house and everything else, IT HIT ME. he wasn't collecting coins for himself, he was trying to set me up with a savings of sorts the only way he could. now i'm trying to do the same for my son, the best way i can, 50, 100 dollars a month. maybe when i die, at least the wife and or kid will get either satisfaction or monetary help from what i can leave them. we all have different reasons for what we do. this is mine. p.s last year i bought a 1921 peace dollar, ms 64 for 600. now look what they are going for now................ THE END.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

he wasn't collecting coins for himself, he was trying to set me up with a savings of sorts the only way he could. now i'm trying to do the same for my son, the best way i can, 50, 100 dollars a month.
Very wise.

My collection was passed to me by my grandfather, and I plan to pass it on down the line as well in his honor.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?