1965 Churhill coin.

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
ace1153
Coin Collector

1965 Churhill coin.

#1 Unread post by ace1153 »

***Titles Are Important*** :D
Titles must include date, type of coin and a specific small description of your question

So we can better help you, please use the following link before making another post:
Click here, READ the guidelines list and please watch the video!
....Earle42

Sorry guys. it's me again with another question. This time it's about the churchill coin. I guess there is a satin finish but i don't think mine is but i don't know. Does anybody Know about this coin. I tried to find a value because there is no face value and i seen it was a 5 dollar coin. I'd rather get an opinion from you guys. I learn alot here. it's the best place learn i tell you.
Attachments
20210517_185451.jpg
20210517_185346.jpg

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: 1965 Churhill coin.

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi Ace,

Try NGC World Coin Price Guide and Type in the fields:

Great Britain
All Regions
Crown

You will see price guide for both, normal and satin. Hope that helps.

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Triple C »

Demi Read
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Demi Read »

The only year of issue of this coin type. This commemorative coin was minted posthumously in memory of the British statesman and politician Winston Churchill (Winston Churchill, 30.11.1874-24.01.1965), who held the position of Prime Minister of Great Britain in the years 1940-1945, 1951-1955.

The obverse design was executed by the British sculptor Mary Gillick (Mary Gillick, 1881-1965), her personal mark (the letters M.G.) is clearly visible on a section of the bust of the Queen.

Reverse design of the author's work sculptor Oscar Nemon, former name - Neumann (Oscar Nemon /Neumann/, 1906-1985). A characteristic feature of the coin is a rarely expressive and weak relief of the reverse details, for which the coin has been repeatedly criticized in the press and the numismatic community of the United Kingdom.
These users thanked the author Demi Read for the post:
Paul
Rating: 3.03%

I use bestcustomwriting.com all the time at university, they have never let me down yet)

ace1153
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by ace1153 »

Alright. thankyou. how can you tell the difference between a satin coin and a regular one ? they sure made it hard when they minted these. lol. for me anyway

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Triple C »

Click here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/wor ... logNumber=

Then click on each image for comparison.

Note: There were only 1000 VIP Coins (Satin Finish) struck and they all came with a COA (according to another web forum)

UrbanDecay04
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by UrbanDecay04 »

I own one... they aren't worth much but are still commemoratives and still cool to own... keep it IMO
YN Collector: I'd never consider myself an expert!
Specializing in Nickels and Peace Dollars!

RickEDee
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by RickEDee »

In 1966 I was stationed in the U.K. and a local friend gave me a copy of the Chruchill Crown. As stated above, the coin is not very valuable, but a great keep sake. It is interesting to note that Churchill is the only commoner (non-royal) whose image is on any British coin.

Worldwide C
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Worldwide C »

ace1153 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:12 pm Sorry guys. it's me again with another question. This time it's about the churchill coin. I guess there is a satin finish but i don't think mine is but i don't know. Does anybody Know about this coin. I tried to find a value because there is no face value and i seen it was a 5 dollar coin. I'd rather get an opinion from you guys. I learn alot here. it's the best place learn i tell you.
The Churchill coin also known as a crown has a face value of 5 Shillings, 1 fourth of a pound and after decimalisation in 1971 5 Shilling coins had a decimal value of 25 New pence until 1990 when crowns made after that date were struck with a face value of 5 pounds.

Although Churchill crowns were minted in their millions (just over 19 and a half) they did not circulate but instead were available to be bought at face from banks which continued to be a thing for most other crowns until the mid 2000s.

A fun fact about crowns is that they are reserved for commemorative occasions to be minted for circulation and until the late 1920s when it fell out of use due to new ones having low mintages. But at the time there was enough coins in circulation because most silver and gold coins in daily use went as far back as 1816 while coppers it’s around 1860.
These users thanked the author Worldwide C for the post (total 2):
Paul, Earle42
Rating: 6.06%

Worldwide collection “collecting and documenting finds since 2019”.

Facts about me;
  • I have visited 12 countries so far.
  • I have actively hunted for coins in 5 of those countries (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands and UAE.
  • Avid cat person.
  • I have a sense of dry humour.
  • History/Geography nerd.
  • Pretty good Chess player.

Denverus
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Denverus »

Triple C wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:17 pm Here is the link:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/
thank you for link