Cold hard truth

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
minddyy
Coin Collector

Cold hard truth

#1 Unread post by minddyy »

It is beginning to occur to me the more I learn that there is a cold hard truth to coin collecting. When i hunt rolls I only Keep what looks very good and unscratched I get exited when i find older coins that look like they are in good shape. So, now that I'm here in a forum learning the finer details it seems to me that likely 98% of what I'm keeping is really not that great because upon closer inspection in the microscope I'm finding scratches that I didn't see with my eye piece.

Im also guessing this is going to be the case until i really gain a good understanding of what a true specimen is. It amazes me how many coins in shoddy condition that fetch good prices. With my limited experience i would throw out because i have no understanding of what im doing.

Sorry for going on but i expect higher than average out of myself and i will admit its frustrating that i have a hard time identifying something as simple as a double die.

OK I'm done
These users thanked the author minddyy for the post:
JonC
Rating: 3.03%

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Cold hard truth

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Don't get so hard on yourself . It takes years sometimes for you can get the whole concept of coin collecting and examining . I've been Error coin collecting for about 10 years and have questions sometimes everyday / sometimes learning something NEW .
It will come as you watch, read and learn over time . I recommend a few books . One is the RED Book ,2 Error books and a Variety Book . That's not to mention Daniel's Cool Videos .
Attachments
51h1aXjl2tL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51h1aXjl2tL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
IMG_20210125_010928968_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210308_162101853_HDR (1).jpg
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
JonC

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Good post and one more that just came out is as good as they get for mint error books

These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
Paul

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I agree 100% - It's been frustrating at times - But Daniel does say you have to learn to hunt before you hunt!

Just don't give up - I'm getting there and it's starting to get better and more fun!
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#5 Unread post by DSCoins »

Another thing you need to keep in mind. What do you see with a 10X loop? Under a USB microscope any coin will look a lot worse than it really is. A lot of people need to step away from the USB Microscopes until they learn what can and can't happen to a coin during the minting process.
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post (total 2):
Paul, JonC
Rating: 6.06%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Hang in there! All of the above is great advice we all went through for our love of the hunt!

Coin collecting varieties takes training our thinking towards the details of what actual errors look like. Knowing HOW they happen is a great way to start since the background info aids in analyzing actual errors vs. altered/damage.

As an example...
BTW..."doubled die."😊

The error has this name b/c the die making the coin had a doubled image engraved into it.

So when you see what is known as machine doubling's flat shelf-like appearance, you understand it cannot be a real doubled die b/c one "image" has contours and the other image there is flat. Machine doubling also thins the actual devices while making the shelf-like flat area people mistake as being doubling.
MD_Explained.jpg
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
JonC

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

My best doubled die video.

minddyy
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by minddyy »

thanks everybody. I have watched that doubled die video before I like it and it helps. In regard to microscope that also is irritating its confusing on what is really damaged and not damaged. i use PCGS to try to compare grading classes be even that seems confusing at times. I guess its a good sign im frustrated because i am learning what actually makes a good specimen. thanks again everybody.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, because you're learning the truth and the truth usually hurt when you're emotionally attached to something that doesn't meet your expectations.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post (total 2):
Paul, JonC

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

...and we all went though it :)

Hang in there...keep working at it...and when you find that first gem it's all worth it.

I remember being almost giddy when I found my first DDO in the wild. It was a 1974-D Kennedy half. I about fell out of my chair! And after that experience it seemed easier to recognize true DDOs.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post (total 2):
Thatgirl42, JonC

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Clint W
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Clint W »

Daniel wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:26 am Good post and one more that just came out is as good as they get for mint error books

Daniel, thanks for posting the video about this book. I found it on ebay for 90 bucks and just got it today. I was surprised to see the author signed it and wrote me a nice note. Very cool!!
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

minddyy
Coin Collector

#12 Unread post by minddyy »

Well,
Im doing this because i have been bored during the pandemic however, im finding that im getting a bit addicted to looking at coins. Today I saw a penny at the gas station where they keep the extra pennies next to the cash register. I just bought 2 rolls of pennies but there was a penny in that bowl that looked odd so I took it and put a penny in after asking first. It turned out to be a 1943 steel penny. what worries me at this point is the coins i looked at and rejected. there was this one nickel I found that was a hook nickel. about a month later i was watching you tube and wouldnt ya know it. it was a 3 over a 2. The only saving grace was that it was pretty beat up.

Thatgirl42
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by Thatgirl42 »

Great post 👍🏼 after 3 weeks of searching through coins chasing errors or high grade coins, I backed off from looking at coins besides in order to study them. I instead started to study the process of how U.S coins are made and what can go wrong during the process. After those apx three weeks of looking at coins blindly .I found myself to be exhausted, sore and feeling discouraged because I had absolutely no clue what I was even looking for. I spent three days thinking I had found an extremely rare and valuable penny only to discover it was a machine doubled coin lol I will NEVER do that to myself again. I will learn to crawl before I walk because the least I fall down the least I will have to crawl back up. Good luck to you!
These users thanked the author Thatgirl42 for the post:
Paul

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Earle42 »

142f161515ec8e0a33503f0ff6c50e1a.jpg
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Thatgirl42