1936 Quarter - D over S or just "baloney"

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Funky Strike
Coinasieur

1936 Quarter - D over S or just "baloney"

#1 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Funkmeister back from another hunt! Actually been on a lot of hunts lately - but not much to show for it that stump me since y'all are getting me trained right!

But I found this coin - it was listed as a 1936 D over S OMM Quarter - So I grabbed it (not for much $$$) to see for myself.

Here is the coin - looks more like a mashed in mint mark than a D over S - maybe a RMM - Can't find this error listed on any website either

Worth getting attributed - investigating further - or just play a game of Pacman with it / keep it in the silver stack?

Thanks

Michael (Funky Strike)
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
7.JPG
9.JPG
11 (1).jpg
11 (4).jpg
11 (5).jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1936 Quarter - D over S or just "baloney"

#2 Unread post by Paul »

I am not aware of any OMM's for the 1936 Washington Quarter series.....

Keep in mind that Mintmark varieties can be the most difficult attributions.......

With the heavy rub on this coin, I would need to see this personally, to verify anything
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Funky Strike
Rating: 3.03%

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Thanks Paul - Would I even want to waste your time on this coin?

I think this is what I struggle with on these coins - how much time / effort do you spend on a coin that may not be that special.

That's why me - and many others - come here to get opinions on a coin.

As the "Funkmeister" I am obligated to look at all "Funky" coins!
These users thanked the author Funky Strike for the post:
SensibleSal66

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

From what I see in your pics, if I had found something that looked like this in hand (and I have) it would not put up a flag as anything but damage.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Funky Strike

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

I believe it's important that you look at all coins....

People need to keep in mind, that all the modern-day coinage, (such as this coin), has been so thoroughly searched.....
As a rule of thumb, if it's not currently listed, it most likely doesn't exist.

And we also must keep in mind, the "Condition" of the coin in question, is a HUGE factor in "Collectibility"

So, to answer your question ........ I think I would move on.
These users thanked the author Paul for the post (total 3):
muswell65, SensibleSal66, Funky Strike
Rating: 9.09%

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#6 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I agree with Paul .
These users thanked the author SensibleSal66 for the post:
Funky Strike

Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Thank You again - it's starting to make more sense

So when people send coins off to be "Attributed" or Graded it's generally to see if it fits into an already established error (which I thought this coin was since it was listed as one - oops!)

So I'm learning a little the hard way - and a little the easy way - As long as I'm learning - right?

Back to the Hunt!
Attachments
01.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

As long as I'm learning - right?
👍🏻
So when people send coins off to be "Attributed" or Graded it's generally to see if it fits into an already established error
That is a definite No.
People send coins off to:
1. See if they can get a good grade => better profits when selling .
2. Just like to have slabbed coins, could care less about the money involved (its a hobby!), and so have them slabbed.
3. Have not researched what the companies actually are/stand for/offer, and so end up thinking, from the mass market mindset, the companies are THE end all authority and experts for coins. The typical result is wasted cash from their pockets, their ownership of face value coins in (relative to the coins) expensive slabs, and sometimes a bad taste in their mouth for the hobby (which, had they done what you are doing...learning...would not have happened).

A grading company exists to make a profit from attributing coins with a GRADE. If the person submitting the coin believes they have a legitimate variety, then they can ask the company to put that on the label (for which the company evidently uses very expensive ink concerning the fee they will charge for these few extra letters on the label).

The grading companies also leave a lot to be desired in getting attributions correct. Please read the pdf at the link in my signature and note that their attribution skills leave a lot to be desired. The essay is a real eye opener. When I posted the info/links on another forum, even some of the die hard PCGS (almost) worshipers admitted PCGS (people herald this company for some reason as the BEST grading company) is terrible with attributions.

Hmmm...I admit that since the companies charge to put the attribution on the label, and they will not get that fee if they do not put the attribution on the label if...well...you get the idea. Please understand I have absolutely nothing to base that idea on. Its just a bad thing to see/know people have spent thousands on mis-attributed coins b/c they buy the slab and not the coin.

As a small extra...you can break a coin out of, say a PCGS slab, send it back into PCGS, and you are never guaranteed the coin will get the same grade again!
Yup...its NOT a science. Yet most people believe the lettering on the slab is an absolute fact...nope. And, therefore, thousands are spent on what the ink on the label reads...that could change if re-slabbed.
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
Funky Strike

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?