2006 Colorado Quarter...??? Help??

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jsul77798
Coinasieur

2006 Colorado Quarter...??? Help??

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

So, a 2006 Colorado state Quarter, the thing going under the ear. So I could ask if it is a, insert answer here, but Im just not....I thought clash mark maybe, but see no other evidence of a clash. Die damage, but is very smooth and seems to be part of the hair design. Class 8 DD? What do ya think?
The mark BELOW the ear with the hair under it, IS a contact mark...The question is on the piece contacting and going UNDER the ear.....
Attachments
20200117_225248.jpg
20200117_225305.jpg
20200117_224324.jpg
20200117_224314.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 2006 Colorado Quarter...??? Help??

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Sure looks like part of the design to me....
I would say this is inconsequential nothing...JMO

Microscopes................ :s
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

So its supposed to be there? The microscope is just for posting the pic
Attachments
20200118_100530.jpg

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

So, serious question....2001 NC WDDO-001....Hair strands behind ear.....How is that something, but this thing Im posting with this huge " extended hair like strand" nothing? If I had been the first to come across the NC DDO1, how would I think thats something worthwhile, where this, extremely pronounced and more than visable with the naked eye not? Im in no way being argumentative.....To me this looks like a significant anomoly that Im unsure of its cause.....
Attachments
20200118_110348.jpg
20200118_110348.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Small areas of interested are not worth a bunch of effort because they're not significant enough.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

:eureka:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

If you really think you found something, even though two highly skilled indivisibles one of whom is certified by CONECA to actually verify new errors and varieties. Then you should go ahead and spend the money to get it checked. As for me I would listen to what they are saying and save the money. One last optician is to politely ask Paul if you could send it to him to look at. If he thinks it is something, he will get it to the correct Individuals to certify it. But That's JMO.

DScoins
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post (total 2):
Paul, pahwa
Rating: 5.88%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

pahwa
Coin Expert

#8 Unread post by pahwa »

Hey Jsul77798, it is not a piece of the design though it lines up and fits perfectly. After spending some time comparing several 2006 Colorados, my first question to myself was how many master dies did they use. Anyway, with the number of anomalous differences between this and what I must assume is undamaged 2006 obverse's the only thing I could wildly guess is that it could be a clash. With all the various angular peaks and valleys, trees, etc on the reverse, there are many possibilities that may show up and what may have been polished out. Lots of stuff going on, some is pmd, I know that. These could be just gouges as well but there are so many of them. I didn't spend the time to overlay the photos to see what a clash would look like or if it would even be remotely a possible cause of a lot of these marks. There is just too much stuff going on in the devices and the field for me to think it would be a DDO. But then again they have the spitting horse now, so one never knows.

DScoins mentioned that one option is to send it in for attribution. You may want to ask Paul here on the board, he can look at it and tell you whether or not is it a discovery worth sending in. Or contact Wexler, Wiles, (there is one more well known very famous gentleman whose name has slipped my mind and I am quite embarrassed to say. I am sure someone will pipe up with it. lol) Or you can contact the big grading companies and they will have people that can perform these services. Pcgs, Ngc, Anacs, Icg. Coneca has attribution services as well but I don't believe they have grading services though.

I think it is a very interesting and cool coin. Let us or at least me know what the final results are if you choose to continue to the next step. Good luck!
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!