1967 Lincoln Cent (Date looks like 196T)

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1967 Lincoln Cent (Date looks like 196T)

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Do you see these two images? You can see the scrape marks and this is not the first time I have seen this. You can tell the metal has been moved. During circulation anything that messes with the congruence of the metal can cause the metal to migrate in non-typical directions. Coin is post mint damaged and no question there, and I keep these only to show that it is post mint in my videos.
Attachments
e67.png

Oldtimmer
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by Oldtimmer »

Grate discussion and points of view.
Did not think it was worth anything just thought it looked different.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#13 Unread post by pahwa »

Oldtimmer, as for a monetary value probably not worth a lot unless you happen to find someone who really likes these types of things. As for a value to you, you darn right. That would be in a flip and in a place of honor, that is one cool coin. And think about how many years that coin has been bouncing around here and there in people's pockets and purses. As for the value, here, we had some fun and good discussions, to me that is worth a fortune.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

pahwa
Coin Expert

#14 Unread post by pahwa »

Daniel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:44 am Do you see these two images? You can see the scrape marks and this is not the first time I have seen this. You can tell the metal has been moved. During circulation anything that messes with the congruence of the metal can cause the metal to migrate in non-typical directions. Coin is post mint damaged and no question there, and I keep these only to show that it is post mint in my videos.

Daniel, Yes I see the images. I have been looking at blown-up images since he posted the first pictures. And again when he posted the later closeups. I have to put them on my computer where I can use apparently different software to get a better look at them. There was never a question about it being post mint damage. I get more into the end results sometimes. This one is very interesting. Oversized east side of the bottom of the 7 and of course the East leg at the top. The source of the metal is explained, but to me, there are still unanswered questions about the dynamics of the scraping and why and what is keeping the metal in place. But it isn't worth the time for further discussion. I don't think either one of us has a metallurgical lab at their disposal, x-ray, and all the diagnostics need to really get the answers. And really it is just a cool looking penny.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't need a lab or tests since I have a large collection of damaged coins to sample. I have seen this many times and it's caused from metal movement that scraped the side of the 7 and the metal migrated upward.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#16 Unread post by pahwa »

LOL Yes that is correct. That is the cause of the movement of the metal we are in agreement there. However, your interest stops now. But you see, my interest and curiosity continue. This is where, I think, were are having miscommunications. We know in 1962 the mix of the metals used to make the penny changed. No more tin, so now 5% zinc 95% copper. This probably makes little or difference in the end results we see here with this coin. My interest continues on to the deposition of the moved material to the top and bottom of the 7. Even with metal being very malleable, scraped metal is not strong. I am just curious how it is being held in place, shaped the way it is and so on and so forth. Probably a lot of questions that will never be answered. So like I said before it is a keeper and a very cool looking penny.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

I was there one time and why I have a huge collection of various damaged coins. If it was something I couldn't figure out or understand my interest would not stop either. I am not sure if you have watched them but I created three videos on damaged coins, and many of them have misplaced metal and such. I guess you should think of wood and scrape with a chisel, but leave a small piece attached, then whack that piece with a hammer. At that point it would still be attached and after so many wacks it would flatten out, take on a different shape, and be more embedded into the wood.

Too me this is has already been solved and why my interest stops at scraped and damaged. I also created fake errors on video as well so I have experimented on coins a lot trying to recreate them. My current project is to figure the 2018 cent with the inner rim damage. I think I know how I just need to get out in the shed and replicate.

These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
pahwa
Rating: 3.03%

pahwa
Coin Expert

#18 Unread post by pahwa »

I'll have to watch the videos when I have more time, almost 1 a.m. and I still have too much to do. But the pics are pretty cool. Put them on Espy for $1000.00's! lol You analogy of my thinking about shaving wood it true in some aspects. With all the woodturning I did I am don't even want to think about the miles of chips to long curls of wood I made. But then again I worked in the maintenance and mechcanial field most of my life. I have been around metal, lathes and have observed miles of metal chips and curls over the years. I was an inspector on a project where we had to cut off a runner liner, weld - build up a new liner and machine that back down to runner specifications. (These were the turbines at a Hydroelectric Plant) To perform that job, the boring bar was so large we had to ride on it, the liner was just under 28' across 6' high. We had to do 6 of them. That is a lot of miles of metal. I have seen various types of metals turned, it depends on the hardness how the metal moves. You can get fine or coarse chips, long almost straight stings to tight coils. The softer the tighter the coils then to the point of smearing then to do anything it is using compression. Such as 24 ct gold flattened to 0.5 microns in thickness or 0.001 mm thick almost 1 molecule thick. But I don't think it will turn worth a hoot until it is alloyed. The pictures of the damaged coins show a lot of compression, impact, and cutting damage but no scraping, however, I haven't seen the videos yet so give me a chance first. ;) I am by no means a metal expert but I have worked many years around the stuff.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

pahwa
Coin Expert

#19 Unread post by pahwa »

Daniel, great videos, but that is the norm. However, when you smashed the dime into the quarter reminded me way back when that was a cup of coffee and a refill. There are lots of ways to mutilate a coin as you have shown.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!