2007-P Washington Dollar Elongated Ray

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
USSID18

2007-P Washington Dollar Elongated Ray

#1 Unread post by USSID18 »

Has anyone (to your knowledge) ever actually seen, validated or attributed one of these? Thanks.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.53.29 AM.png

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 2007-P Washington Dollar Elongated Ray

#2 Unread post by Paul »

I saw a raw one of these go for a crazy ridiculous price years ago and auction that I personally attended.
The entire crowd gasped when the bidding was over.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#3 Unread post by USSID18 »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:46 pm I saw a raw one of these go for a crazy ridiculous price years ago and auction that I personally attended.
Thanks for the feedback Paul.

So they must be out there. I wonder if any have been attributed and slabbed?

Paul

#4 Unread post by Paul »

I just "Briefly" research this ...... as to the 'ATTRIBUTION' aspect.

From what I found, the "Uncertainty" of this actual 'Longer Ray' still has too much speculation.
I'm not sure that you would actually call it a "Variety", so to speak....... because, there's not enough evidence to classify it as that.

Now, to add to my previous comment regarding the one sold at auction......
I never put a loupe to it, I just looked at its overall general condition, and didn't consider bidding on it.
I have not researched this exact phenomenon, and am not aware of any premium that may carry.

As with all varieties, individuals will need to review the list of varieties the actual TPG's validate, and if it's not on their list, call them
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#5 Unread post by USSID18 »

Got it, thanks.

Maybe it's time to call in the big guns. Folks like Dr. Wiles, Fred Weinberg, Mike Diamond, Wexler and Daniel for their opinions.

USSID18

#6 Unread post by USSID18 »

Here's the coin I'm referencing.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thu4bnail.jpg
thumb2ail.jpg
t2umbnail.jpg

USSID18

#7 Unread post by USSID18 »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:46 pm I saw a raw one of these go for a crazy ridiculous price years ago and auction that I personally attended.
That could be a good sign. Do you recall the winning bid?

USSID18

#8 Unread post by USSID18 »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm I just "Briefly" research this ...... as to the 'ATTRIBUTION' aspect.

From what I found, the "Uncertainty" of this actual 'Longer Ray' still has too much speculation.
I'm not sure that you would actually call it a "Variety", so to speak....... because, there's not enough evidence to classify it as that.

Now, to add to my previous comment regarding the one sold at auction......
I never put a loupe to it, I just looked at its overall general condition, and didn't consider bidding on it.
I have not researched this exact phenomenon, and am not aware of any premium that may carry.

As with all varieties, individuals will need to review the list of varieties the actual TPG's validate, and if it's not on their list, call them
Paul-

Since you are the WI State Representative for CONECA, do you have access to the examination page on their website?

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

Is this what you're asking about?

LINK
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

USSID18 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm
That could be a good sign. Do you recall the winning bid?
I recall it being around $100........ but the owner of the coin was bidding up/bidding against the buyer
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#11 Unread post by USSID18 »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:56 pm Is this what you're asking about?

LINK
Well, close. I should have been more specific. Do you have access to the page of coins that have been submitted for examination? Another words, can you actually see all the coins that have been submitted for examination?

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

Me, personally, no.
....... and I would take an educated guess, that it is in the thousands now........ due to the prolific use of microscopes and non-education

..... I'll try to search this for you but can't give any guarantees
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#13 Unread post by USSID18 »

Thousands??.... Great.....that's not good!!! 😩😫

Thanks for looking into it. I know there are on guarantees. I'm just trying to learn the process and the right points of contact. I'm sure the process takes time. Just want the right eyeballs on it, without falling into a black hole. I know the guys doing the attributions, confirmations and designations are volunteers.

At this point, I think I've done all I can do. I think it's headed in the right direction.

I'm not being critical but can I ask you a question? As the WI State Representative for CONECA, can I ask exactly what you do or what your responsibilities are? Thanks!

Paul

#14 Unread post by Paul »

Certainly,
I can tell by your photo that this is the "Elongated Ray" reverse… As they call it.....
Now is this considered a "Variety"?, I don't believe there's enough information out there to determine that.
Is it considered "Special", I'm not so sure… As this does not look like a "Alteration" to the standard reverse die, or should I say… An "Unintentional" outcome for that particular anvil die.

As you may be aware, people from this website send me coins all the time, & I "Verify/Attribute" what they have…
More often than not (about 99% of the time) they are not a
"Listed Or Unlisted/New Variety"… Just a "Anomaly"… As they are using their new microscopes and have no idea what they're doing. That's kinda why am against microscopes in the hands of non-seasoned professionals.

As for guarantees, I'm not afraid to give them. But I need "Coin in Hand".

They have an extensive list of duties for the State Representatives, & would be much easier to have you go to their website, and read what they have there.…… Or I would be here all night typing.

Anyhoo, I will dive into this further in my free time, and keep you updated.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#15 Unread post by USSID18 »

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I appreciate that. Makes perfect sense. I really wasn't aware that folks were sending you coins "directly" for attribution. So they send coins after making contact with you on this website?.....not going thru the CONECA website?

Thanks for your help, latching on to this one and adding any additional value to the process. 👍🏻👍🏻

Paul

#16 Unread post by Paul »

I should clarify that.
People don't just automatically send me coins…
And I understand that you are trying to get in trouble with CONECA, which is your prerogative…

After posting requested images, and answering numerous questions that I have for them, I may ask to take a look at their coin for them, before continuing any further....... as I do not charge a "Fee" ...... as a favor to Daniel for the members on this site

I will usually make a post asking "Can I See That Coin?", Or something like "I'd like to take a look at that coin personally if it's okay with you?"

As you should have seen by now, the vast number of individuals that have purchased USB microscopes, are sending their coins off to be attributed is "Errors" with the TPG's… And are throwing away good money.

As I have mentioned numerous times before, it is a VERY RARE occurrence that someone actually finds a "Error Coin" that has any value for encapsulation.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

CoinPyro
Coinasieur

#17 Unread post by CoinPyro »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 pm I should clarify that.
As I have mentioned numerous times before, it is a VERY RARE occurrence that someone actually finds a "Error Coin" that has any value for encapsulation.
I feel like this makes total sense, though. If this wasn't a rare thing, there wouldn't be as much of a hobby around coin collecting and certainly not as big an obsession with finding the most unique coins out there. There wouldn't be tens, hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the line for these errors on coins that may be worth not even a thousandth their selling price.

This is pretty much how I justify the disappointment of coin searching to myself, at least. 😅

USSID18

#18 Unread post by USSID18 »

And I understand that you are trying to get in trouble with CONECA, which is your prerogative…
What??

Paul

#19 Unread post by Paul »

CoinPyro wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 pm
I feel like this makes total sense, though. If this wasn't a rare thing, there wouldn't be as much of a hobby around coin collecting and certainly not as big an obsession with finding the most unique coins out there. There wouldn't be tens, hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the line for these errors on coins that may be worth not even a thousandth their selling price.

This is pretty much how I justify the disappointment of coin searching to myself, at least. 😅
You're actually spot on here.
Unfortunately "GREED" is the compelling issue for all of the individuals looking hit the proverbial "Jackpot!". I see it 24/7 365.

You most likely would fall out of your chair, if you knew the amount of people who have entire collections of "Face Value" coins,… That they are convinced are so-called "Rare and Scarce Errors".… Including the "One-Of-A-Kind" $1 million coin!

This is the main reason why I do not give lengthy, long-winded, detailed explanations for the majority of the questions asked here. I am more than happy to help out, as I will lead them in the direction to find and learn the answer themselves.
These users thanked the author Paul for the post (total 2):
JTCC, CoinPyro
Rating: 5.88%

Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#20 Unread post by USSID18 »

😂😂 That's funny! I've asking myself the same question for years and years!!

QUESTION: How do I know a coin is not rare, scarce or significant??..... ANSWER: It's in my collection!! 😂🤣

Paul

#21 Unread post by Paul »

USSID18 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am Has anyone (to your knowledge) ever actually seen, validated or attributed one of these? Thanks.

I'm assuming you read this?

LINK
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#22 Unread post by USSID18 »

What? Can you explain this comment?

USSID18

#23 Unread post by USSID18 »

Paul wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:22 pm
USSID18 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am Has anyone (to your knowledge) ever actually seen, validated or attributed one of these? Thanks.

I'm assuming you read this?

LINK
Yes I did. Did you read my above posts?

USSID18

#24 Unread post by USSID18 »

USSID18 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:36 pm
What? Can you explain this comment?
I guess not!

USSID18

#25 Unread post by USSID18 »

Daniel-

You mention "Here, we don't attribute discovery coins, that's what the experts at CONECA's website do, but that is a near impossible market to crack."

Can you recommend any other additional paths this coin might take?

Paul

#26 Unread post by Paul »

Unfortunately, you do not have a "DISCOVERY COIN",… As you can find them all over the Internet already
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

USSID18

#27 Unread post by USSID18 »

You said:

From what I found, the "Uncertainty" of this actual 'Longer Ray' still has too much speculation. I'm not sure that you would actually call it a "Variety", so to speak....... because, there's not enough evidence to classify it as that. You're not sure about a lot!

Unfortunately, you do not have a "DISCOVERY COIN",… As you can find them all over the Internet already.

So you saw ONE and there's not enough evidence to classify it and you can find them ALL OVER the internet.......... So which is it? Aren't "YOU" the expert? I see your resume' of titles listed on your avatar and signature block!

I also never asked or suggested it was a "DISCOVERY COIN" But you say it's not a "DISCOVERY COIN"....Why?.. because it hasn't been discovered yet? Then why are they all over the internet?

If their all over the internet, don't show me all of them.........just show me "two" that have been attributed and slabbed.

So, you're actually a Master Die Variety Examiner? I guess these pictures weren't good enough (as usual) for you to examine.

It's also very disappointing that you would make a derogatory statement about someone and don't have the guts or integrity to back it up. In my world you would be fired, demoted or disciplined for that action!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by Daniel »

USSID18, I read all of these comments here and Paul was nothing but helpful to you and took way more time than I would explaining this to you. I don't understand the "trouble" comment other than it was a typo, not sure why he hasn't responded to that other than he's not focused on that comment. It wasn't derogatory.

You seem to be one that has been empowered by some complainers here. Even you, since you didn't even know how to PM or email me made two off topic posts about your personal PM box. I was trying to fix it and you just kept doing your thing. And you think that is okay to do, then you do this, then you start posting negative things in other topics.

You're a new guy. I founded this in 2009 and many, many people have left and complained over the years, it happens to ALL forums and online communities. It doesn't mean you're correct or anyone else is. It's just that there's no way to please everyone, and for every complainer there's 10 more that do understand and get it. It's obvious you do not. You're starting drama that I have to deal with and I will end it if it continues. Send a PM or email if you have an issue with someone.