Please Read Before Posting A Topic

In the title please put date, denomination and type of coin design and a brief on what you are asking about.
In example: "1995 Lincoln Cent Missing 5" or "2010 Roosevelt Dime With a Line inside the rim".

All of this helps discern the different topics from each other and is much less confusing to members who want to help.
Topic titles like "how did this happen" or "help" often get ignored and lost in the confusion.

Also if you're having trouble posting an image then here's our guide for that. How To Post Images

Thanks,
Daniel Admin/Founder

1940-S 5¢: "Delam" or "Struck Through"

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

1940-S 5¢: "Delam" or "Struck Through"

#1 Unread post by Earle42 »

OK COINHelpers...

I saw this on another forum and thought it was a good coin to debate. It is posted here as a learning tool for newbies - and all the rest of us!

I have my opinion of the following whether its a delamination error or "struck through" coin. Let the debate begin and list why you chose the one you did. It will be educational for us all. Reading the clues on the surface will help form an opinion. I will post mine after awhile so I don't end up "offering" any of the clues yet and influence others. BTW...I also am not saying I am correct in my opinion, but I think I can make a decent "case."

I have been on the other forum since 2011 and have come to respect some of the members there greatly. Don't feel badly about posting your opinion b/c some of the ones over there debating are people I consider very knowledgeable in coins.
Delam_Or_Struck_Through_OBV1.png
Delam_Or_Struck_Through_REV.png
Delam_Or_Struck_Through.jpg

No fair cheating and using the link!

This is about learning...not about getting a "right" answer. After hearing from people here I might also change my mind if they see something I do not.
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

SensibleSal66
Coin Expert

Re: 1940-S 5¢: "Delam" or "Struck Through"

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Looks like a struck through to me anyways . : )
Thanks for sharing !
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Clint W
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by Clint W »

I am not smart enough yet to give an opinion, I can only say that you can still see the E and L so that must say something.
USAF Retired 1995-2018
Fairly new to collecting

muswell65
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by muswell65 »

My chips are also on "strike through" due to loss of details caused by the interfering material filling the die cavity instead of the metal.

This is an interesting topic to me! Thanks for posting, Earle! I like the "learning opportunity" approach! You must have been a teacher ;) Looking forward to the much more experienced chiming it.

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#5 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I agree - This is an interesting example As a Young "Hunter" I do not know what this is?

I do notice that the Columns of Monticello are very weak - Is the because of the interfering material filling the Die Cavity as mentioned above?

How come the "E" and the "L" somehow aren't more distorted or altered?

Also - What's the little "bump" between the "L" in Monticello and the "S" in Cents?

Also noticed on the Obverse the Jefferson's Ponytail (Yes - one of our greatest Presidents had a ponytail!) is weak / faded as well

I hope the answer does not involve any more binary equations - I'm still having Precalc flashbacks from the last one y'all did!

Michael - The Funkmeister

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Do you want my take on this?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

Go for it! Its all about learning and you are the main teacher here 😊

I thought it would be a good exercise in teaching people how to sleuth their errors.
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Funky Strike wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm I do notice that the Columns of Monticello are very weak - Is the because of the interfering material filling the Die Cavity as mentioned above?

How come the "E" and the "L" somehow aren't more distorted or altered?

Also - What's the little "bump" between the "L" in Monticello and the "S" in Cents?
Good clues to notice. 👍🏻
Also noticed on the Obverse the Jefferson's Ponytail (Yes - one of our greatest Presidents had a ponytail!) is weak / faded as well
Good you looked on both sides. But in this case its a red herring for the pony tail b/c that part of design is opposite the upper right above Monticello
I hope the answer does not involve any more binary equations - I'm still having Precalc flashbacks from the last one y'all did!

Michael - The Funkmeister
😂
Nah...just a discussion about the problems I have with the way they justify Einstein's idea about how space time curves due to gravity. Mirages are made from similar causes they cite. I am not sure I buy it. Relativity works for a lot of answers, but hey, quantum physics is also "known" to be true and the two contradict one another.

Just DON'T ask me to add two simple numbers together accurately without my fingers 😂

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Triple C »

I am going with both, a Struck Through on a Delamination.
This is what caused the flake to rise and peel back, plus that looks like a lamination crack next to the S that goes up to the peeled back corner:
Delam_Or_Struck_Through.jpg
Delam_Or_Struck_Through.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Also notice how the peeled back corner continues to open along the edge to the southeast corner of the Struck Through...or maybe I am just seeing things and playing it safe lol

SensibleSal66
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I can't wait for the Answer . We almost there yet ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).