Submitted for grading with Vam 1a

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
illwil
Coin Collector

Submitted for grading with Vam 1a

#1 Unread post by illwil »

This is what I get back
Attachments
image.jpg

illwil
Coin Collector

Re: Submitted for grading with Vam 1a

#2 Unread post by illwil »

I did not submit this coin with such scratches on her cheek, I wish I would take a pic before sending it to them. And how can it be unc detail?

illwil
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by illwil »

Unbelievably unacceptable 🤬

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by muswell65 »

Based on the condition of the coin in the slab, that seems to be an appropriate grade. As to how to handle a case where you believe it's not the coin you submitted, there are many here much more qualified to answer that question than I...
Last edited by muswell65 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by muswell65 »

For additional reference, here are a couple of examples where PCGS has used the same designation, and you can see the similarity:

lf (1).jpeg
lf (2).jpeg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Another problem with theses companies - this happens more often than people want to know. If I was sending a coin in it would be sent with copies of the pics I took so as to avoid this. I have seen too many horror stories. One was of a rare paper composite coin (yes they made them) broken by PCGS when they crammed it into a slab. In the end the owner got no compensation despite them ruining such a historic and rare item. Their guarantee pretty much only guarantees they come out on top of problem situations.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

illwil
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by illwil »

So I finally got a hold of the pictures from the seller, nowhere near its scratched the way it came back. It’s so disheartening to know that you’re not appreciated, it’s a prefect example of bad moral on the graders end. Maybe simply misplaced/lost coin, which is also scary to think about, it’s not mine for sure. Funny thing they made a photo of my coin with clean cheek, and put some bogus one and returned to me, see pictures below.

illwil
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by illwil »

From the seller
Attachments
Before I bought it
Before I bought it
91BC0714-30B3-40BA-8B0D-80215F9A0B22.png

illwil
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by illwil »

And this is the image of my coin during the grading process, that same coin that was returned to me scratched, see below
Attachments
6E79D96A-18C4-4034-8990-D144762624F9.jpeg
61651DD3-45C1-419F-9EE1-CB225461B5B6.jpeg

illwil
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by illwil »

This is one big mistake or scary scam. What should I do? I’m lost here

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#11 Unread post by Paul »

This is a lighting/imaging issue........ I see the same coin in all your images
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

illwil
Coin Collector

Re: Submitted for grading with Vam

#12 Unread post by illwil »

illwil wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am Maybe simply misplaced/lost coin, which is also scary to think about, it’s not mine for sure. Funny thing they made a photo of my coin with clean cheek, and put some bogus one and returned to me, see pictures below.
Correction, it is still my coin according to few marks on reverse and obv.,regardless it appears it was either deliberately or by mistake scratched and nobody owned up to this issue, instead it was sent back with loss to me. Still don’t know what to do with this issue. And another thing, there’s a great need to videos tape coin going in to the box and shipped on the same video. It’s seem to be the best proof for issues like this one

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

I am seeing the same coin as well. PCGS images use soft light to make their images look better, but the scratches are there, the seller images were blurry but you can see some issues in the same spot.

illwil
Coin Collector

Re: Submitted for grading with Vam

#14 Unread post by illwil »

Yes Paul, this is the same coin, only I sent it without scratches that it has now. They even took a picture of it without scratches and then it’s back to me with new scratches and “Slide marks» on the slab.please advise what can be done besides calling PCGS to talk to main man.

illwil
Coin Collector

#15 Unread post by illwil »

If it’s the same I’ll leave it alone, for some reason those scratches are more prominent to me, I don’t recollect seeing them before I sent it. I guess I’ll buy myself a saddle. 😆

illwil
Coin Collector

#16 Unread post by illwil »

If it’s the same I’ll leave it alone, for some reason those scratches are more prominent to me, I don’t recollect seeing them before I sent it. I guess I’ll buy myself a saddle. 😆

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

I can see these scratches in all the images you posted here.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by Earle42 »

These were my thoughts as well. The lighting hides them. PCGS seems to have the same picture taking "skills" as all those rip-off eBay sellers do who make their coins look good. to sell them.

Wonder why?
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

OldSilverDollar
Coin Collector

#19 Unread post by OldSilverDollar »

Slabber might of dropped it or someone tried to use it in the vending machine in the break room at lunch time

Mlcharlestonsc
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by Mlcharlestonsc »

Looks like you have too good of a camera. Mainly a lighting issue lite from side and camera at an angle intensifies scratches. Crack it out and send it back.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#21 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey I, if you are still around, I know I am necromancing a bit, but here goes.

I agree with Daniel and Paul, the sellers Pic is very out of focus, the minute you saw this you should have run for the hills, out of focus, in my experience it screams riiiipppoooffff.

Next, when you got the coin, you did not do a proper inspection. You really have to know what to look for, Daniel has a couple of videos up on this and there are photo grades, and books etc. As a side point, some folks may wonder why Daniel gets frustrated at times, but it is understandable. With as much content as he has put out, and yet, here we are.

When graders look at a coin, they look for marking the cannot be caused by Mint processing, bagging, etc. These kind of marks, "Chatter" is one, "edge marks" are are another, are considered "normal" on an MS coin, and they will only affect the grade # within MS, as would luster and "eye appeal.

However your coin has "slide marks". Something to remember about silver dollars is that back in the day, the dollar slots were the most popular slot machines, so there were a huge amount of these coins going through these machines. This is most likely where you coin got this marking. Remember hair lines and fine lines a the death knell for an MS grade, and especially if they a symmetrical or circular, yup the kiss of death.

I was wondering if you checked with PCGS to see if the would attribute the A-1 VAM, NGC and PCGS have a limited range of attributions, so it is best to check before sending, ANACS has a greater range, and CONECA, if you are a member attributes for 4 bucks plus shipping.

Don't get discouraged by this, as they say in my other business, "You Learn More From A Loss, if you are willing to learn". A while back Daniel got burned by a dealer who sold him some supposedly BU Morgans that were AU, so it can and will happen even if you have been in this business for a long time.

Hope this helps.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Jasonkflo
Coin Collector

#22 Unread post by Jasonkflo »

muswell65 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:50 pm For additional reference, here are a couple of examples where PCGS has used the same designation, and you can see the similarity:

lf (1).jpeg

lf (2).jpeg
Your Boone got robbed . That should at least be Lower UNC Like 62

Jasonkflo
Coin Collector

#23 Unread post by Jasonkflo »

VVS also attributes Vams and John is one of the best in the business .