2021 Silver Dollars - Grade or not?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Critterbob
Coining Around

2021 Silver Dollars - Grade or not?

#1 Unread post by Critterbob »

Hi folks. When the new 2021 Morgans and Peace dollars get released, I was debating if I should send them off for grading. Do you think this would be a wise decision, even if they only get an MS69, or would it be best to just keep them in their original mint packaging? I'd probably go with NGC because of the lower cost.

Your thoughts, opinions and advice are appreciated.

Critterbob
Critterbob

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2021 Silver Dollars - Grade or not?

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Please do some looking at Daniel's videos about sending in coins.

In short...why do want to send them in?

1. If its just b/c you like slabs in your collection, then of course, spend the money and enjoy :)

2. If you are going to try to get an MS70 for resale, its all just a gamble. There is no de facto scientific line between MS69 and MS70. Its all about opinion. You can find MS70 slabs of coins with obvious damage to the coin without much problem. Break out an MS69 and it could get an MS70 next time or vice versa.

In the end, modern issues on original packaging do not seem to sell for as high as a slabbed coin b/c there are a lot of people who (I am not trying to be negative - please understand this) have a blind faith in the grading companies and don't understand the grade on the label is not assigned by any actual measurable standard. Those people do not understand the grade on the slab is not really about the coin itself.

How can that be said? Because If that coin is broken out of the slab, resubmitted (even) to the same company and slabbed at a lower grade, the perceived value of the higher grade disappears.

Just take all this into consideration before "playing the slabbing game" as it really is so you won't be as discouraged if the graders are having a bad day.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

No one can answer questions like this on coins that have not been released, it's hard enough to answer on coins that are already on the market. You do what you want and let the cards lay where they lay. You know the hype will have these up there, so it's just a matter of if you want one in a holder or not. Just don't expect the 70 grades.

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

I'll be honest, mine will be going to NGC on the day they arrive (providing I manage to wrangle any from the mint this time) The ONLY reason I will bother to send them in is to add them to my registry set and morgan set (both fully slabbed) If not for the "need" of a slabbed coin for these sets I would not bother any more then I would for an ASE... just not worth the cost/value unless you get lucky and score a 70. You are correct in thinking unless you do get lucky enough to score a MS70 coin it will be more valueable in it's original mint packageing. As for why do it myself instead of just buying an MS70 after release? Well you can expect even an MS67 will carry a high premium on resale and paying to get mine graded will be much cheaper then that premium will be for at least a year and i don't wanna wait that long lol
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Critterbob
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Critterbob »

Thanks so much for all your help. Since I'm more interested in the coins than the grading, I think I'll just keep them the way they come from the mint and pass on the slabs. I'm more into the collecting than the grading, but I do enjoy graded coins too. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas. Again, thanks!
Critterbob