1912-S Barber Dime RPM in Dominion Holder - What should I do?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Funky Strike
Coinasieur

1912-S Barber Dime RPM in Dominion Holder - What should I do?

#1 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Funkmeister here - back from another hunt!

This time I have a 1912-S Barber Dime with a Repunched Mintmark in a Dominion Holder and I am trying to figure out exactly what to do with this coin?

I really can't find any examples of this coin - Wexler's does not have it listed (They have a 1912-D listed) Cherry Pickers Guide does not have it either.

NGC does say this:
Despite its modest mintage, the 1912-S dime is fairly common across most grades. As with nearly all of the later (post-1905) dimes, there appear to have been multiple rolls set aside for future collectors.
Gems are only moderately scarce, due perhaps to the excellent strike and luster of the typical Mint State 1912-S dime.
A repunched mintmark variety is known for this issue, but the secondary impression is shallow enough that it will be difficult to detect on heavily worn examples.

It IS hard to see - but it's my understanding that Dominion was a pretty legit grader back in the day.

Worth Cracking out? Worth sending in for a crossover? Is it a "special" "rare" coin - or is it just an okay coin - leave it as it is and be happy with it?

I really couldn't get a good picture of the Mint Mark in the Holder - It's there - but NGC is right - it's hard to see.

As always - Thanks for the help! (These coin hunts ARE a lot of fun and I really enjoy the education!)

Michael - Funky Strike
Attachments
1 (1).JPG
1 (2).JPG
1 (3).JPG
1 (4).JPG
2 (1).JPG
2 (2).jpg
2 (3).jpg
2 (4).jpg
2 (5).jpg
2 (6).jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1912-S Barber Dime RPM in Dominion Holder - What should I do?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I would be posting this at CONECA forum.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I see it....
I'm not sure why you would want to re-holder this coin, it's already in a slab.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I think my key question is value - I know we all kind of roll our eyes at the guy who thinks he has a million dollar coin - but I'm just wondering if it's long term value / salability would be served better in an NGC / PCGS holder and does it need to be catalogued somewhere because I can't find it listed anywhere or see a picture of another one. I'm willing to send it off to someone / somewhere who would like to authenticate it and record it. I thought an old coin like this with a unique feature would bring some excitement?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Coin Mule »

FunkMiester, what up 🐕. I'm with Paul and Big D on this one. I think if it was a "clean" coin rather than a "cleaned" coin, I might do it, but it has already kind of been labeled as "cleaned/deets" coin. It does not mean it is worthless, just because of what it is, but I don't see a value added with an NGC or other slab, its going to say the same. Now I wholeheartedly recommend a CONECA attribution for this coin, and it would seem logical that this would add some value by confirming the error. As far as value overall, if you find the right person the value will always be more. That's why I like eBay, it's like a Ronco cooking oven, set it and forget it. It might take some time to get there, but being patient is the key.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Ditto, ditto, and ditto to the last three comments :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Sounds like a plan - I'll send it to CONECA and keep y'all posted

As always - Thanks again!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Funky Strike wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm Sounds like a plan - I'll send it to CONECA and keep y'all posted

As always - Thanks again!
Hey dude, before you send it, PM Paul, I think he can get you an interesting insight on the attribution.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?