What do I do with this?

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
jvineyard
Coin Collector

What do I do with this?

#1 Unread post by jvineyard »

Hi everyone,

I recently bought 2 1953 D Lincoln Wheat cents in PCGS holders graded MS66. Under examination at home, I discovered they are both RPM FS-502. My question is if I am thinking about resale value what is the best option. I paid the market price for a 1953 D Lincoln MS66 so should I send it to PCGS to attribute the variety and reslab or just take good photographs and sell in current slabs? Or another option I have not considered. I tend to think based on the value of the FS-502 in MS66 it would be worth it to send to PCGS for attribution but honestly, I have never discovered such a valuable variety on a slabbed coin that wasn't already attributed.

Any guidance or stories from your personal experience would be most helpful. Thank you in advance!

Best,

Jared

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What do I do with this?

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

The best thing you could do is find what a sold version of this went for in same condition. The reason being that the fees you would have to pay to have PCGS re-slab it might be more than what any added value form being an RPM might bring. Cjeck eBay SOLD items and Heritage auctions.

Personally, although I rarely buy/sell slabbed coins, I did once sell a slabbed DDR 1946 Half dollar PCGS had not marked as being a DDR. As you suggested, I just took pics and showed it was a DDR. The coin sold for regular value as if the label had said it was a DDR.
I think the very notion that a person is a a variety collector means they are, by nature, used to looking at details of the coins (not the plastic) enough that the label means less to them than to people who just collect slabs without worrying about evaluating what is in the slab to any great degree.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

jvineyard
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by jvineyard »

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I should have mentioned in my original post that I did the market research. So on Great Collections here are the recently sold examples

8/2020 PCGS MS-64 $225
6/2020 PCGS MS-66 $567

PCGS lists a total of 15 graded examples in MS66 with 1 higher out of a total of 103 graded.

The problem is it is a rare variety with not many graded examples. Recently a raw copy (in about MS-61 to MS-63) sold on eBay for $70 with photos that did not show any die markers or evidence of the RPM.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Now look up the cost of a normal one of these with same date/MM/grade, the price PCGS will charge you (plus membership fee) to make the change, and factor in any fees the venue through which you would sell it will charge. This is the only way to know if it will profit you.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

jvineyard
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by jvineyard »

Earle42,

On an unrelated topic, I really like your paper on fact-checking grading companies. I am a scientist by nature and a researcher/statistics by trade so I appreciate not only the time you spent collecting and organizing your data for presentation in the paper but the methodology and logic you employed. Much thanks for your time and effort.

Jared

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

I am not finding an "FS-502" number for this RPM,........ I do find a 1953-D RPM-002

Images?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

@Jared - Kindred spirit! I am a former science teacher, and an avid researcher (just by nature - not profession!) myself. I spent 15 years researching and compiling a reference book in the glass insulator hobby and I am working on two more. So when it came time in my life to get back into coins seriously, researching the grading companies to understand them was a logical and natural course of action to me to see how they had evolved over time.

Can you post pics of your RPMs?

jvineyard
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by jvineyard »

@Paul On VarietyVista it is 1953-D RPM-028. VarietyVista, PCGS, and NGC all have FS-502 on their listings. It is very strange my 5th Ed. of CPG does not list it even though all of those sources do.

jvineyard
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by jvineyard »

Hi, I will post some photos this afternoon. Thanks!

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

1st off, it's important to understand what exactly is a RPM,…

Why do they occur?
How do they occur?
When do they occur?

Over time, you will see listings in books such as Cherrypickers, that no longer appear in the most recent additions.
Why?
After a great deal of research, they may be considered invalid, inconsequential, or have no significant interest.

Take a close look at your -028 designation,… Was that minor semicircular anomaly actually a light "Test Punch" on the die?

Over the years, I have found several of these myself, as the edge of Lincoln's coat would be an ideal place for testing die hardness,... & of course none of them are listed as RPM's or MPM's
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

jvineyard
Coin Collector

#11 Unread post by jvineyard »

@Paul Excellent points. I know things can change over the years and not all sources will necessarily agree. I know Wexler and CONECA for example do not always have the same interpretation on some RPMs or OMMs. In this case, Wexler, VarietyVIsta, CopperCoins, and Crawford all currently agree on the interpretation of the RPM listed as CONECA RPM-028. Also, NGC, PCGS, and ANACS also all recognize and attribute it. I think the fact CPG doesn't have it in 5th Ed. probably makes them the odd group out since the consensus of the community is the D southwest of the primary D is an RPM. What interests me is why CPG specifically doesn't have it. I cannot seem to find any information from them on why they do not have it listed.

I can also relate to your point about the vest area being a spot where lines and shapes can easily take on the shape of a mintmark. When I first started I didn't know anything about proper magnification and looked at everything with an X40 USB Microscope. With that thing, my mind could pretty much "see" all kinds of things. So your caution makes perfect sense to me and I appreciate the reminder.

For my coins, they definitely have the die markers and D by the vest and a double-check with overlay and measurement using the stereo microscope confirms at least that my coin is the RPM-028 shown by the different attribution sites and grading companies even if there is still debate about whether it is an RPM or not. I spoke to GreatCollections and sent photos. They are really excited because their last MS66 sold for 500+. I think I am going to send to them to be attributed through PCGS and consigned. The discussion on this thread helped me along in making the decision on what to do so thanks, everybody!

With that, I will leave you with a photo of the RPM-028 "FS-502".
Attachments
DSC_0326.jpg
DSC_0331.jpg
DSC_0332.jpg