1892 Barber Quarter Help

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
coins_usa
Coin Collector

1892 Barber Quarter Help

#1 Unread post by coins_usa »

This is a photo I took of a barber quarter I cracked out of an old "soapbox" anacs slab. It was previously graded at AU55. Those old anacs slabs are often very conservatively graded. I cracked it out and Im going to submit it to pcgs. I personally think that its about an Au58 but can you tell me what you think the grade might come back Im not 100% sure... If it helps, The coin is VERY lustrous on both sides. You can't really tell from the picture.
Attachments
1389117-ar-01.jpg
1389117-ar-02.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1892 Barber Quarter Help

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hey there . Love the Barbers. I think this is a fine example . I'm at MS-61 or 62 ?
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

coins_usa
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by coins_usa »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:25 pm Hey there . Love the Barbers. I think this is a fine example . I'm at MS-61 or 62 ?
Yeah thought on the low end 58 And on the high end 62. Im just not sure so thanks for your opinion.

MLC
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by MLC »

I would guess 60-62
ANA Member
NGC Member

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Amishjedi »

The rim "damage" at 6 o'clock (reverse) and the scratches on the obverse fields keep me at AU58/MS61, IMHO. I have a similar one that was graded AU58 by NGC - nice coin, though. Yours does seem to have more original luster left on the coin than mine does. I'll have to dig it out and check.
“The Ability To Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent.” - Qui Gon Jinn

coins_usa
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by coins_usa »

Amishjedi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:00 pm The rim "damage" at 6 o'clock (reverse) and the scratches on the obverse fields keep me at AU58/MS61, IMHO. I have a similar one that was graded AU58 by NGC - nice coin, though. Yours does seem to have more original luster left on the coin than mine does. I'll have to dig it out and check.
Yeah that's what I was thinking but other people were saying like ms61-ms62 so I'm still not sure what to think 😂

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by Amishjedi »

Still a nice coin - 1st year of the Barber. PCGS has value for this coin around $150-$170 retail in AU55 condition.
“The Ability To Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent.” - Qui Gon Jinn

coins_usa
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by coins_usa »

Amishjedi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 pm Still a nice coin - 1st year of the Barber. PCGS has value for this coin around $150-$170 retail in AU55 condition.
Yeah I bought it for 165 on eBay and it's still super nice

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice coin but no one can answer your question, they can try but it's kinda pointless since it's going to PCGS anyway.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by Coin Mule »

coins_usa wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:52 pm This is a photo I took of a barber quarter I cracked out of an old "soapbox" anacs slab. It was previously graded at AU55. Those old anacs slabs are often very conservatively graded. I cracked it out and Im going to submit it to pcgs. I personally think that its about an Au58 but can you tell me what you think the grade might come back Im not 100% sure... If it helps, The coin is VERY lustrous on both sides. You can't really tell from the picture.
Hey usa, one of the things about going from AU to MS is the dreaded "eye appeal", this is super subjective and varies day to day, grader to grader, phases of the moon, like if the "moon is in the second house, and Jupiter .........".

So one of the things I look for is the famous "cartwheel effect", if it is tight/narrow, well defined and moves without breaking up, this is generally a great indication of receiving an MS grade.

The other thing, that many do not realize, is that the graders are looking for imperfections or marks on the coin that cannot be explained by being "Bag" marks.

For example: I have a Morgan that graded NGC MS 65, and it has a fairly large mark on the cheek, you can actually see where the other coin left "reeding" marks, yet because it was a "bag" mark, it is not considered PMD and although it obviously affected the grade, it didn't kill it.

However "hairlines", "scratches" especially multiple "concentric" scratches, those that run the same direction, are grade and coin killers. This kind of "damage" can not only knock you out of MS but can earn you the dreaded UNC "cleaned/deets".

Frankly, I would rather have a coin "Net Graded" back to AU, at least I can sell it, the UNC "cleaned/deets/ environmental" is the kiss of death, and you will not break even on it, and even if you are just collecting, you can save yourself the money and buy a universal slab and make up a nice lable like "Coin Mule Grading Service" C.M.G.S., stick a MS 70 on it and astound your friends and neighbors.

As far as AU, it depends on two things;

The first: how much "luster" is left.

The second: How much wear is evident. However, if there are a lot of scratches and hairlines, it still might rate a AU Deets.

So yours looks pretty good, but due to the nature of the luster, and the scratches and bit of wear I would say AU, and it would all depend on how bright the luster is, this will make the difference between a high AU and Low AU.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

BMH
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by BMH »

I would have left it in the holder. The rim dings, the scratches in the field in front of and behind Liberty's head, the scratches under Liberty's eye, the two small marks at the base of her neck, and the small black spots on both sides won't earn it a higher grade than what it already had in my opinion.