Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

#1 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

Naw. But since we should all have watched the many videos by Daniel about if it is economical to send a coin to PCGS, I thought I would have some fun with ye Coin Helpers.
2184a.jpg
2184b.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

#2 Unread post by Paul »

"World's Fair" collectible?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

It may sound silly, but it is probably worth MORE in the "casing" Items like that are often VERY sought after. The proper term for them is Exonumia, and can include encased coinage, flattened pennies/coins even "hobo nickels" fall into this catagory. A good example and my favorite 1941 Irradiated dime from OakRidge labs :D
20201028_181609.jpg
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

On a side Note: after checking with a friend, that particular holder with the 1933 cent runs about $40-50 Thought you would like to know :D

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Amishjedi »

Seems like, my opinion, that you would keep it in the B & O Railroad holder - that way, you can attract both exonumia & railroad collectors. I would imagine both sets of collectors would be very happy with this coin in their collection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers.
“The Ability To Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent.” - Qui Gon Jinn

CaptJohn2
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by CaptJohn2 »

thanks for the feedback

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Mrweaseluv wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:05 pm It may sound silly, but it is probably worth MORE in the "casing" Items like that are often VERY sought after. The proper term for them is Exonumia, and can include encased coinage, flattened pennies/coins even "hobo nickels" fall into this catagory. A good example and my favorite 1941 Irradiated dime from OakRidge labs :D
20201028_181609.jpg
Hey MW. I know I am necromancing here but, is that real, if it is how did you get it, and man I would love to have one of those, and no I am not going to pay you 100 k for one hehehe. But that really is cool, now if it was just signed RPFeynman 😎
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

bigphish68
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by bigphish68 »

I also have a 1941 irradiated mercury dime. don't recall how I came across it but have had it for 25-30 years. was 41 the only year they used?

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by Amishjedi »

bigphish68 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:20 am I also have a 1941 irradiated mercury dime. don't recall how I came across it but have had it for 25-30 years. was 41 the only year they used?
Interesting link https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/med ... /dimes.htm that gives background/general info on these unique coins & process - enjoy.

Cheers.
“The Ability To Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent.” - Qui Gon Jinn

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

Coin Mule wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:22 pm
Hey MW. I know I am necromancing here but, is that real, if it is how did you get it, and man I would love to have one of those, and no I am not going to pay you 100 k for one hehehe. But that really is cool, now if it was just signed RPFeynman 😎
[/quote]
Not hard to find mostly. the worlds fair and the atomic museum in blue/white and black/white can all usualy be found in the $20-50 range... It's the "Oak Ridge Labs" and other special location holders that get expensive
I have 5 now blk/w in obv and reverse merc, blue and white in Roosie Obv (hunting for a rev) 64/65 worlds fair holder Roosie Obv, and my Oak Ridge is Merc Obv. all but the the oak ridge I got off ebay... the Oak Ridge labs I picked up from a friend over at the N$ forums.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Mrweaseluv wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:00 pm
Coin Mule wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:22 pm
Not hard to find mostly. the worlds fair and the atomic museum in blue/white and black/white can all usualy be found in the $20-50 range... It's the "Oak Ridge Labs" and other special location holders that get expensive
I have 5 now blk/w in obv and reverse merc, blue and white in Roosie Obv (hunting for a rev) 64/65 worlds fair holder Roosie Obv, and my Oak Ridge is Merc Obv. all but the the oak ridge I got off ebay... the Oak Ridge labs I picked up from a friend over at the N$ forums.
[/quote]

You Da Man Weasel, or umm weasel, or well whatever YOU DA ________
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]