Flying Eagle & Two Cent Graded AU50 Cleaned

Post anything about coin grading holders, questions, images, facts announcements. If it's in, or about, or is a coin holders this is where to post it.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Charley
Coining Around

Flying Eagle & Two Cent Graded AU50 Cleaned

#1 Unread post by Charley »

One of my neighbors, an older guy found out I collected coins and gave me a small box of old coins he had set aside over the years - mostly well worn silver Mercs, Walking Liberty's, Washington quarters, a few very well worn Barbers - nothing really special except a Flying Eagle Cent and a Two Cent piece. Both were in great condition but the patina on both was off - looked like they might have been cleaned long ago but I was unsure and under a microscope, I could find no obvious cleaning scratches. I sent them off to PGCS for grading and just got them back - both received a grade of "AU50 - Cleaned." I think the reason is the uneven patina on both - too bright. I'm thinking of cracking them open and leaving them exposed to the air in the cabinet where I keep my old family silver. I figure in about a year or 2 the patina will have become more even. Thoughts?
Attachments
1857 Flying Eagle Cent A.jpg
1865 Two Cent A.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Flying Eagle & Two Cent Graded AU50 Cleaned

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

First of all, Welcome ! Nice Coins too. I'm no expert in toning coins purposely anyways .I have had some experience with my own coins though . It seems like it may take more than just a couple years to tone and even then there's no guarantee on evenness of the toning.
However , based on the Pics given, I think the 2 cent is nice the way it is . The FE may need a little longer ( maybe 5 plus years) in the right environment . Also, nice the way it is in my opinion.
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Flying Eagle & Two Cent Graded AU50 Cleaned

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to copper the condition of these coins is not going to improve not matter how long you leave them sit out.