Selling Currency? How?

Discuss or ask questions or posts paper currency topics. World currency is allowed as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
david.burland
Coining Around

Selling Currency? How?

#1 Unread post by david.burland »

K. I have more than a couple of Binary Repeaters. Uncirculated Progressive Bills (some binary, some not). And some a mix of both. I also have coins I believe might be valuable (i.e. 3 1909 wheatbacks with the V.D.B., A 1712 Spanish Colonial Real and other such items). Unfortunately due to Covid the last year has not been kind to us and I've been forced into a position where I will have to cash out some of my hard won treasures but I really have no clue as where to begin.
I checked into Heritage Auctions because it appears they've been in the business for some time and are reliable and safe but! they only take consignments of $5000.00 or more so no luck there. There's an auction house here in San Diego but there have been dozens of bad posts concerning items 'lost' or 'stolen', non-payment of profits, etc... Craigslist and E-bay are riddled with scammers and are options only of last resort. I need a safe and trustworthy business or auction house I can work with.
So, if any of you guys or gals know of such a place I would be very grateful if you would enlighten me as to how to contact them.

Thank you

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: Selling Currency? How?

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi David...Sorry to hear about the impacts Covid had on you and your family. It is tough when you have to let go of items you've enjoyed gathering for years. However, if you must, you do want to feel good about it. So, by searching for a safe and trustworthy business and not rushing yourself, I would say you are off to a great start.

Personally, I have not had to sell any of my coins yet. However, I have built strong relationships with a handful of honest dealers in the past years. All of them by initially attending different local coin shows and just start talking, which led to years of happy purchases and a gain of knowledge for the hobby. And if the day would come to sell, I have no doubt I would go directly to any of them first.

In this community forum, I was persuaded to join by watching Daniels youtube videos and not for the learning aspect, but because I would see an honest man speaking about the hobby he enjoyed with his father. If I didn't have an honest dealer around my community, I would definitely start by reaching out to Portsmouth Coin & Currency.

Best of Luck to you!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

eBay

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

...Craigslist and E-bay are riddled with scammers and are options only of last resort.
I agree with Daniel...eBay. I personally don't like dealing with them either b/c I was on there when it started and it has turned into a corporation of greed. But unfortunately, they offer the largest exposure for items to be sold, so it will likely bring you the best returns. You could use a BIN with minimum you will take or put a reserve.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?