Fake 1893-O Morgan dollar

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
CincyGlenn
Coining Around

Fake 1893-O Morgan dollar

#1 Unread post by CincyGlenn »

Purchased by mistake a fake 1893-O Morgan dollar at the July coin show in Sharonville, Ohio. Bought from two gentleman that had a booth selling coins that said they were from Lexington, Ky. Finally weighed this coin and it was 25.5 grams and the diameter was 36.512 mm. Have a hand written receipt signed by one of them. Paid a lot of money for this coin. Called the show organizer and he said to call back in two weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

Re: Fake 1893-O Morgan dollar

#2 Unread post by Amishjedi »

Are you able to post pictures (cropped of the obverse & reverse)? I, too, live near Cincy and went to that same show. Want to make sure I didn't get scammed, also.
“The Ability To Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent.” - Qui Gon Jinn

CincyGlenn
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by CincyGlenn »

I would need to take the coin out of the holder and this might make it harder to return if the seller can’t identify the holder. The quality of the fake is good - I looked at it hard at the coin show - my mistake was not weighing it and checking the diameter at the show. If this website is okay with me posting images in a holder will do it - past messages were that you had to take coins out of holders. The two guys from Kentuckybwere real friendly, heavier set in their late 30’s and had a distinctive Southern drawl. Thanks!

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by Amishjedi »

Don't take the coin out of the TPG holder!

-Who graded the coin (e.g. PCGS, NGC, ANACS)?

-Have you calibrated your scale - do you have authentic Morgan's you can weight to compare to the "fake"?

-You mentioned the weight was 25.5g w/the holder - that does seem light.The weight of an uncirculated Morgan silver dollar should be 26.73 grams.

-And, yes the diameter seems low - the piece should measure 38.1 millimeters in diameter.

Best of luck! I'm sure some of the true experts will weight in soon.

Amishjedi
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Amishjedi »

CincyGlenn wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:44 pm Purchased by mistake a fake 1893-O Morgan dollar at the July coin show in Sharonville, Ohio. Bought from two gentleman that had a booth selling coins that said they were from Lexington, Ky. Finally weighed this coin and it was 25.5 grams and the diameter was 36.512 mm. Have a hand written receipt signed by one of them. Paid a lot of money for this coin. Called the show organizer and he said to call back in two weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Here's a great article from Coin Week that describes fake vs. authentic 1893-o Morgan's - take a look at the images and see if you can spot any of the indicators/markers.

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/count ... 0at%20NGC.

Cheers.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I was setup at the show as a dealer. You don't weigh or check diameter of a coin in a holder. You need to use vamworld.com and find which die pair struck this coin (find the VAM). Remember, coins can vary a bit, all are not exactly the same in weight or diameter.