1852 d gold $1

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
jimmy.cheaves
Coining Around

1852 d gold $1

#1 Unread post by jimmy.cheaves »

Fake or real what do yall think
Attachments
20191122_090812.jpg
20191122_090828.jpg
20191122_124151.jpg
20191122_124144.jpg
20191122_203506.jpg
20191122_203500.jpg
Last edited by jimmy.cheaves on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1852 d gold $1

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Looks real but damaged and circulated however images are not that great for ID.

jimmy.cheaves
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by jimmy.cheaves »

thanks Daniel I actually posted a couple of more close up pictures if that would make it any better

pahwa
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by pahwa »

Man, that ol' coin haws had a pretty tough life but is in good shape for a gold coin. lol I am no gold coin expert, but looking at the enlargements and enlarging further, I never knew there was such an intricate structure inside the coin. But I am thinking that the damage looks like the rim has been pushed out. It also appears to be broken on the left side on the reverse side as well. If the rim has been pushed out the damage is most likely post mint damage. Sure doesn't look like gold to me. Now as for the coin, there is something that just doesn't look right about it. The devices are mottled and dull-looking as the full surface especially the reverse. Did you weigh the coin? And the coup de grâce for me anyway is that the mint mark looks wrong. First, the serifs are not right, they are too short, round and blobby. The serifs on the correct MM are flat extensions of the top and bottom of the D whereas these serifs angle up and down when they leave the body of the D. It appears to almost been soldered, round blobs of solder/gold on the body and serifs. The north side has been built up in layers. As you can see the last layer comes around to the east then literally move away from the MM. I believe it is fake. I would be curious as to the weight of the coin.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

I am glad you posted better images. It looks to be plated. You need to take that to a dealer to look at in hand. The plating looks broken off these coins are a solid alloy and don't have an inner core.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm I am glad you posted better images. It looks to be plated. You need to take that to a dealer to look at in hand. The plating looks broken off these coins are a solid alloy and don't have an inner core.
I saw that also ..............
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

pahwa
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by pahwa »

Daniel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm I am glad you posted better images. It looks to be plated. You need to take that to a dealer to look at in hand. The plating looks broken off these coins are a solid alloy and don't have an inner core.
Yea what Daniel and Paul said.

I should have waited a day for Daniel's and Paul's answers before writing my dissertation on it, though I learned a lot researching it. The crack on the rim and the mint mark were the giveaways for me. The surface texture looked faked too but there were old coins that had the same sort of texture that was real. Fun exercise.
Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!